1st HDR attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

luntut

Oct 19, 2007
Punggol
Went to Chinatown early this morning, to try out some HDR.

came back and processed the following 2 sets using photomatix.

Comments?

2929948259_65db78334e.jpg
2930806014_9b4d45e003.jpg

2930805420_6f3ddf998f.jpg
2929948409_e78104b093.jpg

Anyway, i am seeing a very high amount of noise generated from the HDR photos. Is it common? anyway to reduce it?

What is noise?

What is HDR?

Sorry, I am a nwebie asking newbie question.

John

Hi luntut,

You might want to work on the curve a little more. As it is now the shadow area is too light and looks weird, especially the second picture.

To John E,

For an explanation of noise, please see this explanation on dpreview.

HDR means "High Dynamic Range" and is a photography technique of using multiple exposure of the same scene to extend the small dynamic range limited by the sensor of the camera. Here are some links for more information (you're welcome to google your own links):

wiki
luminous-landscape

Hi luntut,

You might want to work on the curve a little more. As it is now the shadow area is too light and looks weird, especially the second picture.

is the curve supposed to peak towards the middle right or...? cos i played around with some combinations. dunno why i still cant get anything decent out of it.

Are you using photomatix or CS3 for creating the HDR?

attempted to HDR again,

comments on my second attempt? the left foto is the first HDR. the second one is the second HDR...

2929948409_e78104b093.jpg
2930807031_40ac8edba3.jpg

2nd one looks much better and more natural. This is of course assuming that you're looking just to extend the dynamic range and not to create a surreal picture (otherwise the 1st one is more surreal). Maybe an enhancement is to darken the shadow casting on the road slightly more, as it is a bit too light and bluish now (seldom see light bluish shadow unless reflected by blue surface). :)

2nd one looks much better and more natural. This is of course assuming that you're looking just to extend the dynamic range and not to create a surreal picture (otherwise the 1st one is more surreal). Maybe an enhancement is to darken the shadow casting on the road slightly more, as it is a bit too light and bluish now (seldom see light bluish shadow unless reflected by blue surface). :)

actually i am intending to use HDR to create a more natural looking image with an extended dynamic range. not really into surreal effects yet.

think i need to tweek the settings more. let me see how to get a decent looking darker floor.. but if i darken the shadow, wun i darken the buildings too? cos the buildings are wayyy tooo dark in the original version...

thanks ziploc in advance!

Hey no problem at all, we're all here to share and exchange ideas. :)

Yup the buildings will be a bit darker also. But I guess that is ok since I find them a little too bright now. Just tweak it such that the buildings and road are dark enough (hence looking more like in the shadow) without losing much details. You might also want to try reducing the color saturation (you have a velvia 'orange man' now :bsmilie:).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.