1d mk2 fail @ 50+k

Status
Not open for further replies.

studiolabmaster

Mar 15, 2004
Tampines SG
my mk2[bought from a Clubsnapper 2nd hand] had recently fail me at around 50000plus shutter!shutter replace at about $300plus.was told that the life spend of 150000 shutter will applies only for single shot,meaning if u shoot at burst mode or 2-3 shots per click will shorthen the life spend of the shutters.just to inform u all .
buying 2nd hand is taking at your own risk.:angry:
For me ,as from now on wil not burst the cam shutter.will only take single shot per sec to maximiser my shutter life spend.
cheers

yes it is not per set of clicks, but really the exact number of times u HEAR the clicking sound.

my mk2[bought from a Clubsnapper 2nd hand] had recently fail me at around 50000plus shutter!shutter replace at about $300plus.was told that the life spend of 150000 shutter will applies only for single shot,meaning if u shoot at burst mode or 2-3 shots per click will shorthen the life spend of the shutters.just to inform u all .
For me ,as from now on wil not burst the cam shutter.will only take single shot per sec to maximiser my shutter life spend.
cheers

Mine failed around there too. Ok lah..this camera is still a very high end camera at a low price.

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that the shutter failed at 50k.

However, I think tt the response from Canon was far from satisfactory. Ppl who buy 1D Mk II are those who shoot at that kind of burst rate and the camera was designed to take tt kind of abuse. Imagine to buy a Ferrari, running at 200km / hr to die to have engine die ever 10 months ...

For a typical sports professional, he would prob shoot abt 1k photos per event largely in burst mode and in 1 month, prob (conservatively) would hit 5k. If the shutter can only take 50k on high burst mode, then the shutter would prob be good for only 10 month (less if he shoot more). I have known users who take more than 2 yrs to change their shutters and it was more because they fear the unexpected failure rather than the actual failure of the shutter itself. At their level, the cost of failure (bad job and bad reputation) is more than the cost of the shutter replacement.

FYI, I was told there was a batch of 1Dmk2 that have shutter problems. most of them died at around 50K shutter count. Yr set must have been a under utilised set as most of the user would have found that out during the warranty period to have a free shutter replacement.

FYI, I was told there was a batch of 1Dmk2 that have shutter problems. most of them died at around 50K shutter count. Yr set must have been a under utilised set as most of the user would have found that out during the warranty period to have a free shutter replacement.

Hi, do you know what is the range of the serial numbers of the faulty batch? Just bought a used 1D MKII recently, wondering whether it is from the batch. Thanks. :)

Hi, do you know what is the range of the serial numbers of the faulty batch? Just bought a used 1D MKII recently, wondering whether it is from the batch. Thanks. :)

Sorry I dont. Should be the initial launch batch ba. Dont worry lah. even after spending another $300 to replace the shutter, its still a good camera to buy.

Dont worry lah. even after spending another $300 to replace the shutter, its still a good camera to buy.

Yup. I have two and have replaced the shutter on one twice! However, I do go though about 2k shots a week and the replacements have paid for themselves. Just a bit silly for them to market as such. Mine was about 80k and 130k on replacement. Still love those cameras though.

For professional photoGs they are more worry of getting the right shot than worrying whether the shutter fails. They always have spare bodies.

For $300, the shutter is priced "ok".

I lent my newly acquired used Mk II to my buddy for the Sepang F1. It's his first time using Canon camera and only received 5 minutes of instructions on how to operate the basic functions -- even then , he brought back more than 1000 photos. The Hi-Speed continuous mode is a very tempting way for ANY user to go trigger happy.

I think this camera have been designed for this purpose - obviously. Most of the 'premature' failures we hear are likely to be due to mis-handling by one of the previous owner. Yes, this camera can stand drop onto hard floors. Although it is unlikely to fail instantly, perhaps some internal injuries could have happened and degraded the reliability. It is very unlikely for a 1 series body to fail prematurely if used with the appropriate care. The published spec of 150,000 suggests the designers are confident of at least 200,000 actuations with no problem.

That being said, there could still be a few lemons out there. Think we'll have more chance of getting MRT delays than getting a defective pro camera straight off the production line :)

Think we'll have more chance of getting MRT delays than getting a defective pro camera straight off the production line :)

then I need to go buy 4D liao ... I got my 40D on the Fri evening of 40D launch half yr back (after a few test shots). Left the camera in the box until I needed to use on Sunday. Sun morning, took out my camera and half decided whether I needed to test shoot again on a BRAND NEW camera and I decided to do so out of habit ... to my horror, the camera could not even start up ... quickly grabbed another camera cos I needed to go out then ...

Noon, took the camera to CP (where I bought it from) and the guy was surprised to see me back so soon, shocked to hear tt the camera failed ... so he replaced it for me ...

I think we should simply be mindful to factor in shutter replacement costs as part of the operating costs of cameras. Other than the usual lemons and catastrophic failures at the most inappropriate times, most modern cameras have shutter durability specs that the casual snapper will believe can last a lifetime. Of course the professional photogs know otherwise ;)

$300 for a shutter rated at 150,000 to 200,000 is quite reasonable. Bearing in mind that there is little else in terms of running cost for modern day digital cameras. Perhaps factor in an additional yearly replacement of rechargeable batteries. There is no film cost, no development charges.

During the film days, how much would one spend on just <20,000 shots. Let's think 36-exposure films @ $4-5 a pop, plus $2 development, plus print. Using 500 rolls which would have cost >$3K will only get you 18,000 shots.

I remembered having replaced my Leica film body's 'cloth shutter curtain' twice for not much less than CSC rates today; and they lasted for less than 500 rolls of film I'm sure.

Just as there must be regular parts change in running another popular mechanical device - the gas-guzzling, ERP sapping & tempers trying CAR - think oil change, spark plugs replacement, tyre wear, flat batteries, blown bulbs, etc; I would advocate heading off to your camera service center for a shutter mechanism change if you're lucky enough to hit 75% of the spec'd actuations.

Replacement cost: $300
Not having a shutter fail mid-assignment: Priceless!

cheers

The shutter unit is a mechanical device so failure rate is very unpredictable given the estimated shutter count by Canon.

In another note, my previous shutter unit on my 10D failed at less than 15K and this unit was a new piece replaced mid last year and perhaps as u've said, shooting at bursts will increase failure rate and i was exactly doing a lot of those when it failed. But after servicing in which Canon gives a 3 mth warranty for the shutter unit, i still do some bursts until the warranty period expires.

cheers

Hi,
I've have an new 1D Mk2n. I shot over 20,000 in 2 months and over 50,000 in 8 months. I am a trigger happy photographer. I like the journalistic apprach and I almost always use rapid shots to capture the moments. I don't have any problem or issue with my shutter. Besides $300.00 to replace a shutter is only a small % of the camera cost. My view is when I get a the 1D series just enjoy it and shoot as much as I can. it is a pro camera isn't it. Can't be that bad.
So far The 1D & 1Ds are really good even if I am not a pro. Don't expect me drive a GT3 slowly in Sepang.

epo

cheers

My 1st 1DsII failed straight out of the box. Fortunately, I was in the shop and got another set instantly. Electronics can fail when you least expected.

My 1st 1DsII failed straight out of the box. Fortunately, I was in the shop and got another set instantly. Electronics can fail when you least expected.

Wah...that's the most extreme case i've heard abt the shutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.