18-55mm Auto Focus Not Working... Should I Repair or Buy New Lens?

agoodfella

Mar 5, 2010
Hi folks,

My EOS 550D has been great. I have a few questions (as a kind of casual photographer)

1) I bought this 5 years ago (2010), is it normal for the Autofocus to fail on this lens? (I can confirm that my 50mm lens is working fine)
2) How much is it generally to repair Autofocus on this lens?
3) Is it better simply to buy a new one?

4) If so, what recommendations would people have? I like the range of this, so something similar to the 18-55mm (I don't need a super zoom lens or anything)

Thanks!

Hi folks, My EOS 550D has been great. I have a few questions (as a kind of casual photographer) 1) I bought this 5 years ago (2010), is it normal for the Autofocus to fail on this lens? (I can confirm that my 50mm lens is working fine) 2) How much is it generally to repair Autofocus on this lens? 3) Is it better simply to buy a new one? 4) If so, what recommendations would people have? I like the range of this, so something similar to the 18-55mm (I don't need a super zoom lens or anything) Thanks!
I suggest buy a new or used one. For a new lens that costs less than $200, it is better tonget new. Someone selling an unopened one in Buy and Sell in clubsnap at $115 for the STM version.
Below is link to Canon charges. Your lens would repair would vary from $42.80 onwards.
http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/web/support/servicecharges?language

Last edited:
You can visit the canon service centre to check the repair costs, or you could contact fatigue in Clubsnap but I hear he's quite busy. That's all I can help.

I suggest buy a new or used one. For a new lens that costs less than $200, it is better tonget new. Someone selling an unopened one in Buy and Sell in clubsnap at $115 for the STM version.
Below is link to Canon charges. Your lens would repair would vary from $42.80 onwards.
http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/web/support/servicecharges?language

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Any suggestions for a good replacement?

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Any suggestions for a good replacement?

If your budget permits, get the 17-40 F4L or the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS (if you think you will be still using your 550D for sometime or your next Canon camera will still be an EF-S mount camera).

Last edited:
If your budget permits, get the 17-40 F4L or the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS (if you think you will be still using your 550D for sometime or your next Canon camera will still be an EF-S mount camera).

Thanks!

I would also agree with the recommendation of the 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens. It was my best and most used lens in my kit when I owned an APS-C camera. It is often referred to as a hidden "L" lens.

Personally, I feel that if the 18-55 is serving you well (optically), just get a new 18-55 or get it repaired by 3rd party repair man.

The 17-55 option is nice. But the cost is probably 1k++ ( have not been there checking the price for a long time)

If you are willing to consider 3rd party lens, sigma and tamron have 17-50 which is also optically as good as 17-50.

Personally, I feel that if the 18-55 is serving you well (optically), just get a new 18-55 or get it repaired by 3rd party repair man.

The 17-55 option is nice. But the cost is probably 1k++ ( have not been there checking the price for a long time)

If you are willing to consider 3rd party lens, sigma and tamron have 17-50 which is also optically as good as 17-50.

Thanks for your reply. Any recommendations between Sigma vs. Tamron?

Thanks for your reply. Any recommendations between Sigma vs. Tamron?
As like what catchlights mentioned, it's indv preference. All the lens mentioned have their strength and weakness.. It's more about striking a balance between your needs and budget.

*** If it really helps, In the past, I went with the sigma 17-50. Lesser focusing noise and optically looks better than tamron vc. (Optically "superiorness" means nothing on web albums imo.)