18-200mm VRII working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHN LEE

Feb 3, 2005
Singapore
Sometime can't help but to ask myself, are you sure the VR function is working?

How do you tell the VR is working or working correctly?

PS - I think someone will say "Give it to me and I will test it for you"

turn it on to shoot a few photo, (possibly at 200mm on long exposure like 1/25-1/100 second in shutter priority), then turn it off to shoot a few of the same subject, then compare, zoom to full size and see any different..

JOHN LEE said:
Sometime can't help but to ask myself, are you sure the VR function is working?

How do you tell the VR is working or working correctly?

PS - I think someone will say "Give it to me and I will test it for you"
You can hear a buzzing sound, that's the actuators inside the lens trying to correct the micro movements due to your hand shaking.

I understand that problem cos the vr in 70-200 is very obvious and when i first held the 18-200, I couldn't see the vr at work, only after a while then saw it working...

EdOkH said:
I understand that problem cos the vr in 70-200 is very obvious and when i first held the 18-200, I couldn't see the vr at work, only after a while then saw it working...
Probably because on the 70-200, the magnification is greater. For the 18-200, it would be quite obvious at 200mm but not very noticeable at 18mm.

Hi John,

Besides looking at the pictures taken, here's the mehanical side of it...

First turn off the VR - When you focus you will not hear a slight click sound which the VR tends to make. You will just hear the usual buzz/hiss sounds that lens makes during focusing. Notice the hilighted focus area carefully and when you hands shakes/trembles you will notice that the focus area moves/shakes in the same manner too.

Now turn on the VR and keep a sharp ear while you press the shutter to focus. You will hear a very soft click sound which is the VR activating. Release the shutter and you will hear the click sound again cos the VR is now deactivating. And when you focus with VR on, you will notice in the viewfinder that the hilighted focus area is sort of dampened and tries to stay put even when your hands are shaking/trembling.

Hope this helps. You should be able to tell whether your VR is working or not...

Thanks for the help.

Will try all these.
;)

use it to shhoooooooooooooooooootttttttttttttttt everytimes
then you know

speck said:
Hi John,

Besides looking at the pictures taken, here's the mehanical side of it...

First turn off the VR - When you focus you will not hear a slight click sound which the VR tends to make. You will just hear the usual buzz/hiss sounds that lens makes during focusing. Notice the hilighted focus area carefully and when you hands shakes/trembles you will notice that the focus area moves/shakes in the same manner too.

Now turn on the VR and keep a sharp ear while you press the shutter to focus. You will hear a very soft click sound which is the VR activating. Release the shutter and you will hear the click sound again cos the VR is now deactivating. And when you focus with VR on, you will notice in the viewfinder that the hilighted focus area is sort of dampened and tries to stay put even when your hands are shaking/trembling.

Hope this helps. You should be able to tell whether your VR is working or not...

Right on... :thumbsup:

My first test on VR of 18-200mm at 200mm f5.6... It works well, but definitely not as good as with a tripod..
DSC_1078.jpg

DSC_1079.jpg

whawt the prob with this lens .. I seeee so many post on this lens . It either on the VR , or the motor .. some say that it not working . So say that dun know whether if IT is working .. :(

CAnt anyone tell that is working meh.. my 24 -120 . is a VR lens .. Is 1 of the first VR lens .. and yet .. it DOesnt have so much prob...
:(

Haiyah.... Just shoot loh.. dont care so much liao.
Been using 18-200.. so what got VR.. you shake abit.. still blur mah.
STEADY hands is what you really need.. Else, get a tripod lah...
Just focus your attention on capture the moment and not thinking does it work or not loh.
my two cents worth.

fierysnake said:
Haiyah.... Just shoot loh.. dont care so much liao.
Been using 18-200.. so what got VR.. you shake abit.. still blur mah.
STEADY hands is what you really need.. Else, get a tripod lah...
Just focus your attention on capture the moment and not thinking does it work or not loh.
my two cents worth.

aiyo, cannot say until lidat mah :nono:
if don care about VR, y still pay the extra for it?
its good to focus more on capturing the moment, but its can also become useless if the pic blurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.