17-55mm f/2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

aq12345

Nov 19, 2006
Hello everyone, i was thinking of getting this lens...
I was wondering, how different is the 3rd party ones compared to the Nikon one (Since the price different is so big)

I think there are quite a few threads talking about this great lens. Better if you do a search to get more info faster.

You are talking about Tamron and Sigma 1x-50mm F/2.8?

Not comparable with Nikon 17-55 both price and image quality-wise.

I was wondering, how different is the 3rd party ones compared to the Nikon one (Since the price different is so big)

if you can accept the distrotion...get it...otherwise go for 17-35...

i owned this lens, very good & happy with it. Nice color, good sharpness even at 2.8, fast lens, good detailed

No regret of buying this piece of gem. All I could say is, that's the best Kit Lens from Nikon

No regret of buying this piece of gem. All I could say is, that's the best Kit Lens from Nikon

Erm.. which camera kit comes with this lens? I wasn't able to find any. ;p

I'm so close to buying this lens, but still torn between that and the 17-35, especially since the latter is on sale and is cheaper than the former. From what I've read from other users' experience, there was a stage when there were bad 17-55mm samples, and I'm not sure whether that still exists.

Also read that 17-35mm has better contrast, sharpness etc but the 17-55mm has better distortion control at the wide end.

Oops sorry went off-topic.

I'm so close to buying this lens, but still torn between that and the 17-35, especially since the latter is on sale and is cheaper than the former. From what I've read from other users' experience, there was a stage when there were bad 17-55mm samples, and I'm not sure whether that still exists.

Also read that 17-35mm has better contrast, sharpness etc but the 17-55mm has better distortion control at the wide end.

Oops sorry went off-topic.

If there are bad samples, gotta first confirm whether it's due to the cameraman. And again, for every bad photo you see, i'm guessing you'll see 100X more good photos. My take for the 17-55 is if you can accept distortion and don't shoot with your lens pointed to the sun most of the time, got for it. Aiya this sort of comparison all over the internet, read also read until sian. Nothing beats trying it out for yourself and actually finding out how well you like it.

my 2 cents.

Erm.. which camera kit comes with this lens? I wasn't able to find any. ;p

17-55 was "kit-ed" with D2H. Not becos they are selling as kit but they are launched on the same date.
Just like 18-200VR was "kit-ed" with D200

Haha... No lar... not kited with any body... Just a figure of speech.. but that's a really good lens.. Sharp:thumbsup:

It's definitely a nice lens to have. Good zoom range and fast enough. Quiet yet fast focus.
For that same zoom range, I think it would be the Tamron 17-50. Focusing is fast but noisier than the Nikon. Whether it's worth the price difference depends on you. If you can afford the Nikon without blinking, get it straight away. After all, it's a Nikon ;)

BUT!!! - IIRC, the 17-55 is for 1.5x body. what if they really release a FF body next month??? :eek:

To be honest, even if Nikon release a new FF, I'm sure they wouldn't kill their loyal DX user in the market..

sensor autocrop to 1.5FOV. D2x can do that why not the new body?

To be honest, even if Nikon release a new FF, I'm sure they wouldn't kill their loyal DX user in the market..

Exactly! :) I believe even with the crop, the resolution would be at least 10MP or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.