17-50 Tamron lenses Barrel Cracked

Gerald Lam CK

Jul 2, 2009
Admiralty
glamphotography-ck.blogspot.com
hihi..anyone whose tamron lenses were sent for servicing recently for cracked lens barrel? I dropped my lens on to the ground...whilst it is still functionable, i can only zoom until 30mm. :(

The glass didnt crack though...everything is fine except for the zooming part..I heard from my fren it costs $90 to repair..anyone with same prob and was it $90? I'm just afraid they charge differently...

Best thing to do is call JEL corp and tell them the condition of your lens and give you a quote for the repair!

Just tell them that the barrel cracked after it fell down then ask them how much to replace it!

okok..but is lens barrel cracked the correct term to use?

If the barrel is cracked then just tell them what you see. If they found out that something is faulty inside as well they will contact you again with a new quote.

If the barrel is cracked then just tell them what you see. If they found out that something is faulty inside as well they will contact you again with a new quote.

$90?

really depends on what is really broken. Lens barrel is the the internal barrel that zooms in and out. I am pretty sure it will cost a lot more to fix than $90. nowadays $90 will only pay for technicians to open up the lens and put it back together again. I doubt your problem is going to cost only $90.

Don't tell them anything. Just bring it down to JEL. let them look at it.

$90?

really depends on what is really broken. Lens barrel is the the internal barrel that zooms in and out. I am pretty sure it will cost a lot more to fix than $90. nowadays $90 will only pay for technicians to open up the lens and put it back together again. I doubt your problem is going to cost only $90.

Don't tell them anything. Just bring it down to JEL. let them look at it.

Haha I am not the TS, just have the same avatar as him and yes i also don't think it will cost just $90

Yup I agree with daredevil...I went to JEL last month for a replacement of the faulty aperture cable of my 17-50mm F 2,8 lens and it cost me $120!

Haha I am not the TS, just have the same avatar as him and yes i also don't think it will cost just $90

opps... mistaken identity sorry. quoted the wrong post.

hihi..anyone whose tamron lenses were sent for servicing recently for cracked lens barrel? I dropped my lens on to the ground...whilst it is still functionable, i can only zoom until 30mm. :(
The glass didnt crack though...everything is fine except for the zooming part..I heard from my fren it costs $90 to repair..anyone with same prob and was it $90? I'm just afraid they charge differently...

Possibly something came lose inside that blocks the zoom. I had the same issue, just after fatigue posted a warning: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694767&highlight=Tamron
In my case, a sensor for focal length came lose and blocks the zoom mechanism. Got it fixed by setting the sensor to a fixed position instead (I don't need exact focal length in my EXIF data).
Regarding charging: different problems with different damages will incur different costs. Would you charge the same amount for different types of work involving different components to be changed? :dunno: