14-24 f/2.8L rumors. The next big wait?

Fietty

Mar 25, 2011
New Ultrawide Zoom
There has been chatter about the possibilty of this lens since the day after Nikon announced their highly regarded 14-24 lens.

The latest is we’ll see this lens announced within the next 12 months. As always, nailing down lens announcement dates is near impossible with Canon. It was suggested that the EF 14-24 f/2.8L would be announced after the EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x begins shipping, suspected late in 2012 or the first half of 2013.

An EF 14-24 f/2.8L would complete a pretty remarkable range of lenses in the Canon lineup along with the EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II & the unannounced EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x.

Could it also be filterable (with a very large ring) for a circular polarizer?

*Taken from CR*

Can't wait to see how this lens fair with the remarkable Nikon 14-24 lens =)

If there really is a 14-24L for Canon, i'll sell off my Sigma 12-24 for this!

... And I guess the price tag will be even higher than 14L? =.="

Nikon unit is abt 2.6k. How much can canon, 3k the most i think.

Now this would be the real ultrawide component of Canon's trinity. Not the 16-35 or 17-40. Of course it has to at least be as good as Nkon's version to be worthy of the title. As for price, the sky's the limit. Don't think Canon cares how Nikon prices their lenses. They seem to just do whatever they want.

Nikon unit is abt 2.6k. How much can canon, 3k the most i think.

Canon does not need to price the same as Nikon, afterall you can't use a Nikon lens on a Canon anyway (I mean retaining full function).

Canon 14mm f/2.8 already cost more than $3k, very unlikely the 14-24L will be cheaper than that unless it is made inferior to the 14L

Canon does not need to price the same as Nikon, afterall you can't use a Nikon lens on a Canon anyway (I mean retaining full function).

Canon 14mm f/2.8 already cost more than $3k, very unlikely the 14-24L will be cheaper than that unless it is made inferior to the 14L

Will put off some new dslr n existing user, i think. So if market share is not an isue canon can sell higher price even any canon product perform poorer than nikon or other brand

Last edited:
It is a tough challenge.

The lens has to be better than 16-35, which itself is a big challenge.

Then the lens should be comparable to Nikon 14-24 ..

Hmm, at what cost?

The next big wait.... let's wait till they launch the 24-70mm L II first............... But it is a new great Trinity......... when it is launched...........

It is a tough challenge.

The lens has to be better than 16-35, which itself is a big challenge.

Then the lens should be comparable to Nikon 14-24 ..

Hmm, at what cost?

damn, to think I just purchased a 16-36L not long ago! :angry:

The 14-24 would be a welcome addition. If it matches the IQ of the Nikon equivalent, it will be a runaway success. Of course pricing will have a factor in its success.

I was contemplating getting a copy for my Japan trip. I rented a good copy eventually and the lens is great. I am sure you are enjoying this wonderful lens.

It's 16-35 bro....but it's still a great lens!

It's a great lens indeed, but I would have purchased the Sigma 12-24mm as I spoke to you earlier.. Blame it on my stupidity that I tested the lens with the filter adapter on and though the lens had image circle issue and went on to purchase 16-35L instead :bsmilie:

I was contemplating getting a copy for my Japan trip. I rented a good copy eventually and the lens is great. I am sure you are enjoying this wonderful lens.

Yup enjoying it.. but not to enjoying the hole it burnt on my pocket :bsmilie:

If these rumours are true then I hope it's as good as the 16-35.

U r not alone, me too did the same recently. 200% Agree with you "up enjoying it.. but not to enjoying the hole it burnt on my pocket "

I guess I am not going to run behind 14-24 in near future ... but then again, you people pass the virus too fast!! ..)

If these rumours are true then I hope it's as good as the 16-35.

Need to be significantly better than 16-35 as the new lense will be more expensive than already expensive 16-35. The difference must be like 17-40 and 16-35 so that we can think of paying the difference in price.

Need to be significantly better than 16-35 as the new lense will be more expensive than already expensive 16-35. The difference must be like 17-40 and 16-35 so that we can think of paying the difference in price.

I am very glad I rented the 16-35 instead of burning a hole in my pocket. 14-24 will do just fine for me ;p