14/18-200mm lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahaha,trust me,i don't look muscular at all,fats covering everywhere,lol

dun worry I am catching up soon... (on fat) haha

TS,

Since u already have 14-42, Y waste the money to get another lens to cover 14-42 range and compromise IQ? anyway since U already carrying body with lens, I bet you dun really feel 40-150mm mk2 in your bag cuz it very light.

Best walkabout lens...Olympus have many to choose from. First off those kit lens (14-42) of your are fantastic piece of glass.

In the Standard range there is the 14-45, 18-180, 40-150(Mk1 and Mk2) and 70-300.

Then in the pro range, 11-22, 12-60, 14-54, 50-200.

Follow by the top Pro, 7-14, 14-35, 35-100, 90-250

Third party would include the

Sigma,10-20, 18-50/2.8, 55-200, 135-400 and 50-500 (think there are more)

Leica, 14-50/2.8-3.5, 14-50/3.5-5.6 and 14-150/3.5-5-6 (think need some editing on the f value)

These does not include the single focal primes.

So there is actually a whole lot of choices for you. Some shooters may even tell you a good walkabout lens is the 14-35/f2 :eek: but it still boils down to individual preference and the $$$$$ you are willing to burn for it.

For me, Leica 14-150 is now my current walkabout lens. It's almost glued to my camera. :D

dun worry I am catching up soon... (on fat) haha

TS,
Since u already have 14-42, Y waste the money to get another lens to cover 14-42 range and compromise IQ? anyway since U already carrying body with lens, I bet you dun really feel 40-150mm mk2 in your bag cuz it very light.

I don't know about the weight. Since it light as what you guys said, i think it good to get that 40-150mm len :)
Best walkabout lens...Olympus have many to choose from. First off those kit lens (14-42) of your are fantastic piece of glass.

In the Standard range there is the 14-45, 18-180, 40-150(Mk1 and Mk2) and 70-300.
Then in the pro range, 11-22, 12-60, 14-54, 50-200.
Follow by the top Pro, 7-14, 14-35, 35-100, 90-250
Third party would include the
Sigma,10-20, 18-50/2.8, 55-200, 135-400 and 50-500 (think there are more)
Leica, 14-50/2.8-3.5, 14-50/3.5-5.6 and 14-150/3.5-5-6 (think need some editing on the f value)
These does not include the single focal primes.
So there is actually a whole lot of choices for you. Some shooters may even tell you a good walkabout lens is the 14-35/f2 :eek: but it still boils down to individual preference and the $$$$$ you are willing to burn for it.
For me, Leica 14-150 is now my current walkabout lens. It's almost glued to my camera. :D

Actually i got abit "jealous" & thinking why there are not much 4/3 mount lens as compare to the other camps(even Alpha got more support also). 3rd party only Sigma while the others have Tokina, Tamron....... my friends also ask me to switch camp. Sorry for the OT & hope it would end up onto brands thingy stuffs. Anyway it got the features i want, the light weight &... i love my cam :bsmilie:.

Blu-by-U thanks for stating all those lens. Wah! Leica 14-150mm but i no mooolah so Pana/Leica lens are out. So its set 40-150mm here i come.

You can check out the B&S section, I saw somebody wanting to sell a 40-150 f/3.5-4.5. Alternatively, importing a new 1 is also relatively affordable and you have a whole full year warranty too :)

You can compare the 40-150mm, Mk I vs the Mk II variants for yourself to see which you prefer. The dimension for Mk I is slightly wider (77mm vs 72mm) and longer (107mm vs 65.5mm) and heavier (425g vs 220g) - but for the 3.5-4.5 it offers, it's well worth it IMO.

All the best in deciding on your new investment~! And have lotsa fun! :D Cheers!

Actually i got abit "jealous" & thinking why there are not much 4/3 mount lens as compare to the other camps(even Alpha got more support also). 3rd party only Sigma while the others have Tokina, Tamron....... my friends also ask me to switch camp. Sorry for the OT & hope it would end up onto brands thingy stuffs. Anyway it got the features i want, the light weight &... i love my cam :bsmilie:.

Quality, and not quantity, should be the mantra my friend.

actually whenever they say that just tell them back yes more but not necessarily compatible with each other, eg some new model of full frame ones, you cannot really use the old lense without having to be accept vignetting, they will say have work around but why do you want to accept work around after paying so much? Then when they say we have high noise level at high ISO we also got work around what? :sweat:
I got a friend who bought D300 then regret that his lense collection will not be 100% compatible with D700 (full frame). That is how it is on the other side.
Also when they say more lense are compatible just ask them if they go and buy all? It is not many choice but the quality of the choice that you have.

I don't know about the weight. Since it light as what you guys said, i think it good to get that 40-150mm len :)

Blu-by-U thanks for stating all those lens. Wah! Leica 14-150mm but i no mooolah so Pana/Leica lens are out. So its set 40-150mm here i come.

You may also visit this site to find out the range of lens available and their weight/dimensions, filter thread size, ...etc.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/products/lense.html

cheers! ;)

You can check out the B&S section, I saw somebody wanting to sell a 40-150 f/3.5-4.5. Alternatively, importing a new 1 is also relatively affordable and you have a whole full year warranty too.
You can compare the 40-150mm, Mk I vs the Mk II variants for yourself to see which you prefer. The dimension for Mk I is slightly wider (77mm vs 72mm) and longer (107mm vs 65.5mm) and heavier (425g vs 220g) - but for the 3.5-4.5 it offers, it's well worth it IMO.
All the best in deciding on your new investment~! And have lotsa fun!

Didn't know they are known as MKI (old) & MkII (new). Thanks & ya sure will have fun with it.;)

Quality, and not quantity, should be the mantra my friend.

Come to think of it, yes > Well said!:thumbsup:

actually whenever they say that just tell them back yes more but not necessarily compatible with each other, eg some new model of full frame ones, you cannot really use the old lense without having to be accept vignetting, they will say have work around but why do you want to accept work around after paying so much? Then when they say we have high noise level at high ISO we also got work around what?
I got a friend who bought D300 then regret that his lense collection will not be 100% compatible with D700 (full frame). That is how it is on the other side.
Also when they say more lense are compatible just ask them if they go and buy all? It is not many choice but the quality of the choice that you have.

So not all his lens are able to use on the D700? hmmm..:think: My friend is using a D300 haha i can tell him that .

You may also visit this site to find out the range of lens available and their weight/dimensions, filter thread size, ...etc.
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/products/lense.html
cheers! ;)

Thanks jaspkr. found the 90-250mm lens which i miss out which others mention.

Well so much for my very 1st time lens hunting & which ended fruitless & most staffs say not much lens/discontinued/no we don't... have for Oly. Ya agreed its not the quantity of the lens, it the quality of it thats matters! :D

Do take note, we do not need 2 or 3 diff 70-300mm F4-5.6, Olympus just need 1, thanks to In-body IS.

base on 35mm equiv from 24-400mm (from wide to telephoto), 4/3 just need 2 lens to fulfill which is 12-60 F2.8-4 and 50-200mm F2.8-3.5, we can have lens for longer reach at a smaller size eg. ZD300mm F2.8, Thanks to 4/3 2x crop sensor. Now u now why 4/3 doesnt have so much lens to choose from or so call support?

I agree that it is harder to find some accessory for 4/3 pr even 3rd party but how many of these item we need?

1 more benefit of getting 4/3 is, we have very small amount of user compare to canikon in SG, therefore we are quite unique and uncommon, that how I feel la....

if u not decided which to buy and not in a rush, I will suggest you to join our outing and see which user have the lens that u are keen and hand on to it.

Btw all four thirds lens can be use on any 4/3 body, no need to worry abt FX , DX, EF, APS blah blah... never ending (till now I am still confuse)

I can let you hand on to my lens if u need. I think I have what u r looking for.

Last edited:

Actually, if you look at the number of lenses that were created with digital photography in mind, the other camps don't have all that many, either. Also, those other camps have lenses that have limited functionality on the various bodies on quite a few lenses in their own lines, as well as those from the third parties.

Do take note, we do not need 2 or 3 diff 70-300mm F4-5.6, Olympus just need 1, thanks to In-body IS.
base on 35mm equiv from 24-400mm (from wide to telephoto), 4/3 just need 2 lens to fulfill which is 12-60 F2.8-4 and 50-200mm F2.8-3.5, we can have lens for longer reach at a smaller size eg. ZD300mm F2.8, Thanks to 4/3 2x crop sensor. Now u now why 4/3 doesnt have so much lens to choose from or so call support?
I agree that it is harder to find some accessory for 4/3 pr even 3rd party but how many of these item we need?
1 more benefit of getting 4/3 is, we have very small amount of user compare to canikon in SG, therefore we are quite unique and uncommon, that how I feel la....
if u not decided which to buy and not in a rush, I will suggest you to join our outing and see which user have the lens that u are keen and hand on to it.
Btw all four thirds lens can be use on any 4/3 body, no need to worry abt FX , DX, EF, APS blah blah... never ending (till now I am still confuse)
I can let you hand on to my lens if u need. I think I have what u r looking for.

Yes one of the factor for choosing it is the in-built IS (was choosing between the Alpha, Pentax, Olympus then). Maybe not so good for the budget buyer since abit limited? But product that is >"Cheap is not always good" & "you get what you pay for". Ya at least the 4/3 lens can be use on all 4/3 cam. Didn't know that Nikon lens can't be use on all models. When another of my friend who bought it during the Comex fair & was told FX lens, DX lens... cant interchange unless certain models.

Saw that the so call next outing is the Olympus event right? Thanks for offering to let me try out the lens. Yup i'm not in a hurry to get the lens yet. Oh no i'm going to be poison badly :bsmilie:

Actually, if you look at the number of lenses that were created with digital photography in mind, the other camps don't have all that many, either. Also, those other camps have lenses that have limited functionality on the various bodies on quite a few lenses in their own lines, as well as those from the third parties.

True but they do have many lens but like what you said limited functionality(thats why there's so many lens to cover/increase the functions).

Status
Not open for further replies.