105 VR vs 90 Tammy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy

Jan 4, 2006
Ok, this has probably been discussed before, but this is my concern and would like to get some opinions

First up, i have not done macro before, but sure if i will like it though, insects and bugs are not really for me but macros of flowers and others do interest me.

My primary focus is on products shots, toys to be exact and some other nitty gritty stuffs.

1. Would 105mm be an overkill? im not exactly sure if i'll really need an 105mm?

2. Though 90mm cost half the price, but looking at the other threads about a new company taking over the distribution (everything's still vague) and after sales servicing looks really expensive, im kinda torn between the two.

3. Hold out for a possibilty of a 90mm with VC in future? - still doesn't solve the servicing issue though

regards

If you primary focus is product shoot, why don't consider Nikon 85mm PC.

enjoying my 90 now..

Ok, this has probably been discussed before, but this is my concern and would like to get some opinions

First up, i have not done macro before, but sure if i will like it though, insects and bugs are not really for me but macros of flowers and others do interest me.

My primary focus is on products shots, toys to be exact and some other nitty gritty stuffs.

1. Would 105mm be an overkill? im not exactly sure if i'll really need an 105mm?
If it is oni product shoot, a kit lens can just do as great..unless u need the macro feature..

2. Though 90mm cost half the price, but looking at the other threads about a new company taking over the distribution (everything's still vague) and after sales servicing looks really expensive, im kinda torn between the two.
Tamron 90mm is value for money for a macro lens..but definitely can't compare wif 105mm

3. Hold out for a possibilty of a 90mm with VC in future? - still doesn't solve the servicing issue though
can't help much on this question..its ur choice afterall..

regards

I'm also considering getting a macro lens and haven't gotten it yet.

You can compare Tamron 90mm review and Nikon 105mm VR review.
What I dont like for Tamron is when it focuses nearer, the lens increases in length.

VR may really help in low light since what you really want to shoot is mainly static objects. Provided you dont like to use tripod.

optically, they are very much comparable with the nano coating of the VR version of 105 coming up slightly better.

As for glass wise, some say that the tamron is sharper. But well. Its a second alternative.

If you can, go for the VR version of 105, otherwise the non-VR AFD version of 105, lastly, if dough not enough, go for 90.

As a 90 user, I am very impressed by its quality. However, 3 points you must know before you commit to this lens.

(1) Protruding forward element (almost 1.8X the length after fully extending to nearest focusing distance).
(2) Noisy focusing (I use manual for macro)
(3) Slow focusing (not a problem for me since I do manual, for portraits, use focus limiter lock)

Quality and bokeh, I am loving it. =p Check out my flickr for the pictures with it.

i would suggest that you consider the 60f2.8micro instead, esp if you're focusing on still life.

between the 105VR and T90 - got money? go for the 105VR... tighter budget? got for the T90 or the 105micro (non-VR). the VR feature is neat... really helps if you use the lens for portraits and streets. the effectiveness of the VR diminishes the closer you get your subject (macro type photography)... that's not to say that there is totally 0 effect... but a lot less than the 4-stop assistance when you shoot beyond 3m.

lastly, unless you're busy chasing butterflies... you should always try to use a tripod or some form of sturdy support.

bottom line , most macro lenses are built to be pretty sharp, so you can't go wrong with either brands. Although i always tend to favour the original manufacturer, and a lot depends on what you're shooting and most impotantly, your budget.

so work within you budget, and you have your answer.

i would suggest that you consider the 60f2.8micro instead, esp if you're focusing on still life.

I agree with Cactus Jack. If you don't intend to shoot live, skittish subjects why waste money on a 105mm VR ? I think a Nikkor 60mm micro will suit you a lot better and make shooting a whole lot easier. Not to mention its abt the same price as the tammy! ;)

imagine taking a photo of a toy on yr table.

With a 105mm VR, you have to back like... a +1m away from the table in order to frame the subject...which is kinda awkward especially if your working in the confined space of your room :sweat:

I think abt it, if you'll only be taking stationary subjects, i advice against a long focal length like 90mm or 105mm

Just my 2 cents :)

I'm a user of tammy90mm..
- good bokeh, sharp
- slow focusing..
- low IQ, keep hunting with lower contrast

if you got the money, just go for the 105mm.
definitely worth it!
- no need to worry about maintenance, (tammy must pay for postage to repair in Japan)
just throw back to NSC

but if you want to shoot indoor,
i doubt you are for this range.. :D

im leaning towards the 105mm more, just the servicing that's bothering me after reading the other threads wrt to tithes

im leaning towards the 105mm more, just the servicing that's bothering me after reading the other threads wrt to tithes

I thought Tithes already went bankrupt?

I second that. 90mm or 105mm has relatively narrow angle of view so you may have to back off real far.

Also longer focal length can compress the perspective... May or may not be important to you.

yes,

on the thread below

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369913

the new distrbutor is JEL Corp.

im just worried that the servicing service may not be "there"

Why are you so concerned with servicing? I think that should only become an issue when you buy an item and you are 100% sure you have to take it for servicing. And if that is the case, then you wouldn't buy it to begin with. Catch-22.

I have 3-4 lenses over the past couple of years, haven't even had to go to the service center once, and this includes Tamron lenses, Nikon lenses, Sigma lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.