1000D sensor damaged by sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
it seems like a case of attempting to change lenses when he dropped it onto the sand. open mount ready to take in all the dirt.

Oh dang.

Note to self: Refrain from constantly changing lenses at the beach.

actually, how did the sand get in?
i would like to think that if water cant get in.... sand shouldnt be able to either.

Unless you were changing lens on the beach?

Regards

its a 1000D... canon dont really bother weather sealing them like the 5D or 1D so there is bound to be little gaps where sand/water will get in...

There should be 3 Low Pass filter (AA filter) and one IR filter before the sensor rite? how did the sand get into contact with the sensor..?

BTW, is the camera dropped with or w/o lens attached?

TS, you shd really consider trade your camera in or sell it away at low price.
Cause if the repair cost is $535 (inc GST.), you might as well upgrade to another camera or buy a second hand 450d at $700.

Yea I was wondering initially how the sand actually got into the casing and to the sensor. CSC concluded that the sand that went in was very fine, and was able to get into the body because the 1000D is not weather sealed. Then the sand got lodged everywhere inside the body, including between the filters and then the sensor. I didn't realise it till I got home from the beach that day, and continued to take photos even after I dropped it. I can't see any visible anomalies on the pictures, but after a while the camera stopped working.

So I'm going to do a trade in with Canon, haven't decided which model haha. Thanks alot guys for the advise!

Yea I was wondering initially how the sand actually got into the casing and to the sensor. CSC concluded that the sand that went in was very fine, and was able to get into the body because the 1000D is not weather sealed. Then the sand got lodged everywhere inside the body, including between the filters and then the sensor. I didn't realise it till I got home from the beach that day, and continued to take photos even after I dropped it. I can't see any visible anomalies on the pictures, but after a while the camera stopped working.

So I'm going to do a trade in with Canon, haven't decided which model haha. Thanks alot guys for the advise!

Ding ding ding! Big mistake! All the best for whatever you get next :)

Stopped working!!! This is actually very serious. Oh gosh! I feel so sorry for you.

What the hell... stop working. Fine sand get into the camera can really made it haywire. How sure you b even though you have it repair right?

Better get a new cam. How come there's trade in for your camera? I didnt know can trade in tho.

What the hell... stop working. Fine sand get into the camera can really made it haywire. How sure you b even though you have it repair right?

Better get a new cam. How come there's trade in for your camera? I didnt know can trade in tho.

Canon has a trade in program for damage canon cameras. This applies to compact and entry level dslrs. (not xxD and xD)

on the whole if it costs 500 to replace the sensor
might as well upgrade to a 40d secondhand - alr suggested
or buy a new one..costs what 800 new for the body only?

ouch

that's new, i've been many places with my pentax dslrs, loads of sand including getting blasted in the wind and fine sand , but nothing like that happened.

i seriously wonder what really happened. :) everyone makes mistakes, i do not think it is that easy to get enough sand into the camera to significantly damage it.. weather sealing or not.

ouch

that's new, i've been many places with my pentax dslrs, loads of sand including getting blasted in the wind and fine sand , but nothing like that happened.

i seriously wonder what really happened. :) everyone makes mistakes, i do not think it is that easy to get enough sand into the camera to significantly damage it.. weather sealing or not.

I agree. I've shot on the beach with non-weather sealed cameras like the 350D and 30D before. Nothing's happened.

"
i seriously wonder what really happened. everyone makes mistakes, i do not think it is that easy to get enough sand into the camera to significantly damage it.. weather sealing or not.
"

Night86 talk sense. Camera robustness cannot be this poor, let alone its a Canon. Real root cause was not shared.

Anyway, I had my D3 sensor changed recently (result from self cleaning ) and cost me 1k.

Though the scratch is only on the protective AA, but no component replacement. It has to be the complete module (filter, sensor, pcb...etc...)

TS, i doubt its your camera sensor that is damaged but more likely the first Low-Pass filter that is scratched. Probably Fatigue can fix that up much more cheaply.

Wow, did you say 'sand' or 'sand paper'? even sand paper will only damage the IR or AA filter. Sounds like someone has been using your 1000D to scoop sand :D

Having said that, it could be that some sea water got in and maybe salt crystals wreak havoc in the sensor...

I've seen 2nd hand 1000D being quoted at $500+ at CS. If the cost of repair is $535, you might as well buy a new 1000D.

As amazed as I am how fine sand got to your camera sensor (Spore got fine sand?), I think its a sign that its time you get a new camera.

As amazed as I am how fine sand got to your camera sensor (Spore got fine sand?), I think its a sign that its time you get a new camera.

And use some common sense when handling your camera at the beach. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.