10.5mm fisheye or 20mm ultra wideangle?

Thanks for waking up my senses bro! If you didn't point out Tokina 11-16 I'd still be eyeing on the FF lenses. From 11-16, I branched out to scrutinising other UWA lenses. I'm still eyeing on the 14-24mm.. but now not so eager until I'm on FF.

Mind sharing your 11-16 story? ;)

Mind sharing your 11-16 story? ;)

Meaning if I even used one? Nope, didn't own it hence I don't have a story share. But if you meant why didn't I choose 11-16 over 10-24?

Reasons for choosing 10-24 mm over 11-16 mm:
1) Wider by a few degrees - 109 versus 107 deg (one degree difference is already a big deal for an UWA)
2) Quality Control - Haven't heard much about Nikon's QC, but Tokina's - a gamble and hassle if you have a lemon (don't take my word for it - just do a search)
3) Longer range - UWA to moderate WA, versatility - allows closing in without the need to crop.
4) Better flare control (you have lesser worries and lesser angle contraints)
5) Distortion control is good from 14 to 24mm - whereas 11-16 has distortions across the range, except the middle I think - better refer to KRW's reviews. But of course, correctable if you have the software support (which I don't).
6) Better resale value (though it wasn't in my criteria since I'm for keeps, but you'll never know eh?)

And sure, I'm aware that it isn't as fast as f/2.8. Since my priority of using it is landscaping, speed isn't a major concern - low light and indoor shots is second priority (I'll just have to boost up my ISO level and accept whatever noise it has to offer). Or fork out for a dedicated prime for low light street usage like 35mm f/1.8?

Hence, Tokina 11-16mm isn't a bad deal (cheaper, built like a tank and much better at low lights). It depends on your priority (landscape versus low-lights) and your budgetary concerns.

Let me sum up Tokina's advantages over nikon's:
1) Fast lens - f/2.8 low light king over the pair. Hence you can use it for landscape as well as indoor / low-lights hand held (provided you want an UW angle for that shot)
2) A lot cheaper!!
3) Built like a tank (better quality body) - provided you don't mind 100g heavier.
4) Sharper at the edges wide open (only useful if you must have it at the larger aperture always)

For me, the advantages stop there... if anyone cares to add to the list, please feel free to add.

Last edited:
Thanks for waking up my senses bro! If you didn't point out Tokina 11-16 I'd still be eyeing on the FF lenses. From 11-16, I branched out to scrutinising other UWA lenses. I'm still eyeing on the 14-24mm.. but now not so eager until I'm on FF.

Haha. I'm also eyeing the 14-24mm but only later. Dun think I'm anywhere near FF at the moment.

Haha. I'm also eyeing the 14-24mm but only later. Dun think I'm anywhere near FF at the moment.

Wah!!! More power to you when you get it laddie! :bsmilie: For me, I'd take my time as well. Anyway, I'm beginning to adore my current 10-24mm like there is nothing else in the world... Good to get distracted! :D

Wah!!! More power to you when you get it laddie! :bsmilie: For me, I'd take my time as well. Anyway, I'm beginning to adore my current 10-24mm like there is nothing else in the world... Good to get distracted! :D

I got the 10-24mm for a good deal and loving it also. Looks like great minds think alike :bsmilie: although I think if I had a motor-driving body like D90, I may have chosen another route (Tokina 11-16mm) due to pricing.

I got the 10-24mm for a good deal and loving it also. Looks like great minds think alike :bsmilie: although I think if I had a motor-driving body like D90, I may have chosen another route (Tokina 11-16mm) due to pricing.

Sounds like you are thinking you've over spent? :think: Heck, if you like the 11-16mm so much why not sell the 10-24mm to get it plus extras maybe for another lens or filters? I don't understand the hesitation though... :confused:

*edit: oh okay I forgot you're on D5000... Sorry!

Last edited:
Sounds like you are thinking you've over spent? :think: Heck, if you like the 11-16mm so much why not sell the 10-24mm to get it plus extras maybe for another lens or filters? I don't understand the hesitation though... :confused:

*edit: oh okay I forgot you're on D5000... Sorry!

Yep, it's not a matter of liking the 11-16mm so much, but rather, the difference in pricing. Discounting the money factor, I would then still choose the 10-24mm, because it's a better lens. However if you put in the money factor, then the equation changes... and the one major reason why we have popular third party lenses out there.

While I'm dreaming, if money is not a matter, I would have gone 14-24mm with a FF. D700 can already, I not greedy :bsmilie:

Last edited:
U should consider the average-streetman UWA - Tokina 12-24mm F4. It is cheap and sharp:)

I have the 10.5mm and I like the effects but I'd advise that you should not use this for portraits as it will distort the faces of the people pictured.

I think a Samsung PL100 or PL150 would be better for those "self taking" shots, not to mention a lot cheaper..
Or the free option of asking a friendly passerby to help take a portrait of you guys..

No offense, but I think the DSLR deserves more respect and I'm glad you've invested in one..

Having a compact and a DSLR may compliment each other in various situations..

Last edited: