10-22, 11-16, 12-24

Status
Not open for further replies.
for the 12-24mm. you can use it on a fx camera without vignetting at 20mm onwards.

i'm not a full frame user.. not in a very long time.

my next question is. for a 11-16mm lens VS a 12-24mm lens. is 5mm or focal range worth it?

i guess i'm perfectly fine with is as a UWA lens is mainly shooting UWA stuff.. but yea, is it worth it?

When u're talking abt wide angle terms, 5mm does make quite a significant difference. In tele, even 100mm difference is not too significant.

Tokina should build a 11 or 12mm f/4 prime lens for significantly less than the price of either the 11-16 or 12-24....
Hahahah i'd buy one in a snap! My 12-24 is pretty much always at the wide end. Seems a waste to pay $$ for the zoom when I don't need it.

Tokina should build a 11 or 12mm f/4 prime lens for significantly less than the price of either the 11-16 or 12-24....
Hahahah i'd buy one in a snap! My 12-24 is pretty much always at the wide end. Seems a waste to pay $$ for the zoom when I don't need it.

I shoot 90% of my shots on my 12-24 at 12mm. If not why should i buy it in the first place? :D

yeah... exactly... an ultra-wide angle ZOOM lens seems overkill to me. Probably the optics will be better too if it was a UWA prime.

Price will be even more killer, such as the 14 f/2.8L II.

Hahahaha that's because it's a Canon L Lens mah.

I don't believe a Tokina UWA prime would cost more than a Tokina UWA zoom.
since the optics are always simpler in a prime.

Yeah we're both beating about the same bush :)

I wish for a 3rd party UWA prime because:
a) it'd likely be cheaper than their equivalent UWA zoom (simpler optics)
b) it'd likely be sharper than their equivalent UWA zoom (no compromises)

Prime lenses rock! :)
especially for UWA when I almost always have it at the shortest focal length... a prime would be ideal.

Yeah we're both beating about the same bush :)

I wish for a 3rd party UWA prime because:
a) it'd likely be cheaper than their equivalent UWA zoom (simpler optics)
b) it'd likely be sharper than their equivalent UWA zoom (no compromises)

Prime lenses rock! :)
especially for UWA when I almost always have it at the shortest focal length... a prime would be ideal.

I go for Sigma's 12-24 for a couple of reasons:
-No Canon lens can go as wide
-Widest UWA lens for FF.
-Excellent barrel distortion control.
-Affordable

Agree with you. Same for Sony.
-Widest UWA lens for FF.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
-Excellent barrel distortion control.:thumbsup:
-Affordable (a bit subjective though :) )

and the coating seems to have the polarizer 'built-in' :)

I go for Sigma's 12-24 for a couple of reasons:
-No Canon lens can go as wide
-Widest UWA lens for FF
-Excellent barrel distortion control
-Affordable

Last edited:
Agree with you. Same for Sony.
-Widest UWA lens for FF.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
-Excellent barrel distortion control.:thumbsup:
-Affordable (a bit subjective though :) )

and the coating seems to have the polarizer 'built-in' :)

I'm not sure abt the 'polarizing effect' on the coating but at $1312, i think it's affordable for a lens at this wideness for FF.

I'm not sure abt the 'polarizing effect' on the coating but at $1312, i think it's affordable for a lens at this wideness for FF.

:) That's why I said 'subjective' cos you think it is affordable, what about others ? Anyway, I like the lens and I think it is quite good....again this is a subjective statement ;) We shall continue to enjoy using it :)

Btw, do you put on the gelatin filter ? Do you know where to get ?

Last edited:
:) That's why I said 'subjective' cos you think it is affordable, what about others ? Anyway, I like the lens and I think it is quite good....again this is a subjective statement ;) We shall continue to enjoy using it :)

Btw, do you put on the gelatin filter ? Do you know where to get ?

No need for any gelatin filter. U can DIY.

Status
Not open for further replies.