1:1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goondoo

Nov 17, 2003
Away From Keyboard
Hi all,
Just tried taking a close up shot using my D70s, 18-70mm kit lense + a macro filter.

macrotest.jpg

(unedited)

Is this considered 1:1? or more? or less?

Working distance is about 3 inch at 70mm.

Full auto focus and metering, think this quality can consider good macro?

Does it really matter if its 1:1 for macro? As long as its sharp, nice etc. Doesnt matter. Unless its for recording purpose and you want to know the size of that insect. Otherwise, I think, just enjoy shooting!
:thumbsup:

Try to take a shot of a ruler.
I will try that tonight. What do I do with it after that? Should I size down the picture?

Does it really matter if its 1:1 for macro? As long as its sharp, nice etc. Doesnt matter. Unless its for recording purpose and you want to know the size of that insect. Otherwise, I think, just enjoy shooting!
:thumbsup:

I am actually recycling a old filter meant for underwater. Just to know if the quality is acceptable, e.g. the bokeh, the colouration etc.
So do you find the picture sharp enough?

What is meant by 1.6x crop ?
true 1:1 macro lens actually give 1.6:1 magnification on a 1.6x crop DSLR like canon 350d.

anyway to TS, if that is a typical lighter, i don think it is close to 1:1 yet.

true 1:1 macro lens actually give 1.6:1 magnification on a 1.6x crop DSLR like canon 350d.

anyway to TS, if that is a typical lighter, i don think it is close to 1:1 yet.

Errr... 1:1 macro lens will give 1:1 for FF and crop sensor...

BC

Errr... 1:1 macro lens will give 1:1 for FF and crop sensor...

BC
izzit? i tot the 1:1 is for FF, and cropped sensor will increase it due to crop factor? :dunno:

izzit? i tot the 1:1 is for FF, and cropped sensor will increase it due to crop factor? :dunno:

Remember that 1:1 refers to image size(on film/sensor):actual size. Basically the projected image size is the same for FF and cropped sensor. The cropped sensor just capture the center cropped image.

A 35mm object will occupy the full width of the FF and a 23.5mm object will occupy the full width of the DX sensor.

BC

No it won't.

For example, if you take a 3cm x 2cm rectangle and you will fill up a 35mm film (or "Full Frame" CCD/Cmos for that matter), it will leave 3cm x 4cm space on a 6x6 film or would not even fill up a APS film (or "APS Sized" digital CCD/CMOS for that matter).

That is 1:1 .... it means 1cm on the subject will be translated to 1cm on film / CCD. Crop factor does not matter at all.

Remember that 1:1 refers to image size(on film/sensor):actual size. Basically the projected image size is the same for FF and cropped sensor. The cropped sensor just capture the center cropped image.

A 35mm object will occupy the full width of the FF and a 23.5mm object will occupy the full width of the DX sensor.

BC
oopz, completely forgotton about that. :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.