WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

He says. Monitor and see what happens.

Panasonic Lumix has a kind hearted parent company that tolerates repeated failure over a long period of time.
(unlike Olympus Camera Division's parent company).
Panasonic Lumix has made partial rectification by going Full Frame and gradually neglecting MFT.

That probably saved Panasonic Lumix camera division from suffering the same fate as Olympus Camera Division.
Camera manufacturers can choose to be willful and foolish.
The camera market consumers world wide will decide who dies and who lives.

Can a camera brand survive with small market share?
Sure - if your name is Leica. (very extreme high price, small sales volume, fanatical fan base).
And if you got an indulgent forgiving parent company that is happy to lose tons of money every year.

@ricohflex it is funny all the things you said below and your conclusion is totally opposite of what the youtube video say.
Matthew clearly said Panasonic is NOT going to stop M43 and will continue to invest in it.

BTW, Ricoh, who has much much smaller market share than Panasonic or OM Systems and not even as brand prestigious Panasonic or Olympus or OMDS (don't even mention Leica) and Ricoh is still surviving.

He says. Monitor and see what happens.

Panasonic Lumix has a kind hearted parent company that tolerates repeated failure over a long period of time.
(unlike Olympus Camera Division's parent company).
Panasonic Lumix has made partial rectification by going Full Frame and gradually neglecting MFT.

That probably saved Panasonic Lumix camera division from suffering the same fate as Olympus Camera Division.
Camera manufacturers can choose to be willful and foolish.
The camera market consumers world wide will decide who dies and who lives.

Can a camera brand survive with small market share?
Sure - if your name is Leica. (very extreme high price, small sales volume, fanatical fan base).
And if you got an indulgent forgiving parent company that is happy to lose tons of money every year.

Interview with Togashi, VP OM System for brand strategy convey om system current performance is on track for OM1 and 5 for outdoor and adventure. North American market is where the bulk of camera sales is significant for all camera companies. Given the economic and geopolitical events in my opinion going forward is tough.

The VP is giving the impression that knowing what has happened to Fuji x100 vi and Yashica mini camera , Om system acknowledge that there is a potential market of smartphone users wanting quality from their photos yet seem like sitting on their hands. Well if they don't act fast Om system may well miss the boat again because what's driving smartphone sales IS the camera that bundles with it. Although smartphones now have multiple lenses no one has shown how it can be used in video unlike DJI with their mavic3 that a shorter Tele lens can tell a story better. Smartphone cameras are not sitting still as they know it's the camera that matters, with better AI and software bundled into phones it is now evident that photography can indeed get better so if Om systems still drag their feet I wonder what is their future.

Thread views have crossed 93k.✌️

Last edited:
The tired arguments against the Micro Four Thirds (MFT) standard are obsolete and rarely voiced now.

He is an "unpaid" OMDS ambassador. He admitted he did it for the recognition a camera company affords to his photographic skills. Nevertheless given the headline about old biases against m43 , he has only echoed the advantages of m43. As I have said omds is still sitting on their hands with regards the future of m43. If they are not careful or innovative OMDS will end up on the scrapheap of history.

Here's why, although film is still king it is a huge hassle to bring it to the digital editing stage, chemical processing and digital scanning.

This is the reason Sony is going for the true medium format film equivalent size sensor of 247mp. not the fake Fujifilm medium format sensor, this new sensor is 2.5 times size of fullframe. In fullframe equivalent it is 61.75mp. Sony knows the practical limits of resolution and pixel size. Now consider m43 which is 1/4 the size of fullframe and when you do the math it is 80mp.😱 So technically it is pushing the physical limits of sensor technology already. So OMDS has to find innovative ways to market m43 just like DJI
did with their flagship drone Mavic 3 pro. I hope OMDS wakes up!

The 247mp. sensor is true 6 X 4.5 cm. film equivalent. There will be 2 versions, monochrome which gives better contrast gradation and colour. It can still give 5fps which is fast enough for most photographic applications and if down size from 16bit to 14bit, it can do 10fps for sports/action. All this means it is fast for video processing as well and in 3:2 ratio format for cinematography. Sony had also patented a curved sensor that allows for more compact medium format lenses and has researched designing a medium format camera system to take on the studio and commercial big boys, Phase 1 and Hasselblad and probably price it 2/3 cheaper. So you can see Sony looks far ahead into the future what about OMDS?

Great minds think alike but will Sony or OMDS listen to the suggestion? 🤣 Even if Kodak turns down there are plenty of film styles like agfa, Konica, etc.

The tired arguments against the Micro Four Thirds (MFT) standard are obsolete and rarely voiced now.

Last edited:
This is what I mean when smartphone software simulates various focal lengths looks and Leica colours. Only available in Japan for now, test market I think. If it has real lenses even better. So m43 better wake up!

Leica put significant effort into updating the software in the Leitz Phone 3 in the form of new Leitz Looks and Leica Tones. A new “variable aperture” Leitz Look simulates the various aperture stops of the most popular Leica lenses: Noctilux-M 50mm f/1.2, Summilux-M 28 mm f/1.4, and Summilux-M 35 mm f/1.4. Leica says the bokeh effects can be controlled through the software by setting the aperture to f/1.2, f/1.4, and f/8.

It is because everyone realizes the end for MFT is inevitable. Thus it is a foregone conclusion.
So they just let an obsolete format die.
Whether MFT dies a quick death or a slow death is up to Panasonic/OMDS.

By 2024 MFT is so much inferior to the new offerings of other camera manufacturers, the MFT are no longer considered worthy of special mention.

JIP/OMDS is a temporary holding pattern, for ex-parent company Olympus to side-step strict Japan labour laws when they closed camera division.

Panasonic/Lumix has an indulgent parent company that forgives MFT bad business performance.
This is not other people's problem. The parent company got money to burn. Let them.
Panasonic/Lumix will quietly pivot to Full Frame L mount and let MFT rot. In a face saving maneuver.

Huh? What has that got to do with Gen Z interest in smaller size MFT cameras?

MFT Inferior? Inferior to what? Resolution?
Why did the latest Sony A9iii choose 24mp when Sony has already introduced 61mp?
Obviously there are applications where lower resolution like 20mp or 24mp is more ideal.

Why did Panasonic and Nikon jumped into the Nature Shooter market by introducing Subject AI especially for birds recently?
Simply because they have seen the success of OM-Systems.

Why did Sirui and 7Artisans just announced new lenses for MFT?
Simply because there saw a viable and growing community of MFT users?
Are you thinking that these companies did not do any market research and blindly products?

@ricohflex, come and join some of the OM Systems photowalks, you will realize more and more ppl are having MFT as a second camera system to complement their existing camera system.

So they just let an obsolete format die.
Whether MFT dies a quick death or a slow death is up to Panasonic/OMDS.

By 2024 MFT is so much inferior to the new offerings of other camera manufacturers, the MFT are no longer considered worthy of special mention.

JIP/OMDS is a temporary holding pattern, for ex-parent company Olympus to side-step strict Japan labour laws when they closed camera division.

Panasonic/Lumix has an indulgent parent company that forgives MFT bad business performance.
This is not other people's problem. The parent company got money to burn. Let them.
Panasonic/Lumix will quietly pivot to Full Frame L mount and let MFT rot. In a face saving maneuver.

My opinion, OM and Panasonic needs to get there act together!

My recent experience with mix body and lens were not 100% positive. Using EP-L9 with Lumix 20mm lens, I tried portraiture and it was a pain! Street photography has no issue at all!

By the way, I got a 2nd hand OM-1, and there is mix feeling.

I like the body grip and small form factor. On sunny days, the camera did everything I ask of it.

Indoor low lights, I wish it can perform better. That said, maybe that is due to me using slower, older lens.

Looking forward, I will be growing the system as I like the form. I hope with the OM pro series lens, the OM-1 will be a potent portrait machine.

The general wisdom is to use same brand and native lens combination for best performance because of synergy and design. Panasonic and OMDS ( Olympus ) though has same lens mount but different implementation of lens and camera system. Not implying that you lack the skills but we all need inspiration from someone or somewhere. 😁 Even so with the same lens and camera it is acknowledged that 20mm in question has it's idiosyncrasies and more so with a different body like epl9. Portraiture can be simple and not simple much depends on your requirements.

Thread views has crossed 95k. ✌️

My opinion, OM and Panasonic needs to get there act together!

My recent experience with mix body and lens were not 100% positive. Using EP-L9 with Lumix 20mm lens, I tried portraiture and it was a pain! Street photography has no issue at all!

I like the body grip and small form factor. On sunny days, the camera did everything I ask of it.

Indoor low lights, I wish it can perform better. That said, maybe that is due to me using slower, older lens.

Looking forward, I will be growing the system as I like the form. I hope with the OM pro series lens, the OM-1 will be a potent portrait machine.

Last edited:
I
The general wisdom is to use same brand and native lens combination for best performance because of synergy and design. Panasonic and OMDS ( Olympus ) though has same lens mount but different implementation of lens and camera system. Not implying that you lack the skills but we all need inspiration from someone or somewhere. 😁 Even so with the same lens and camera it is acknowledged that 20mm in question has it's idiosyncrasies and more so with a different body like epl9. Portraiture can be simple and not simple much depends on your requirements.

Thread views has crossed 95k. ✌️

I am more of a portrait picture generator! Still not skilled enough to be considered a photographer!

To bring in some context, it was an impromptu portrait shoot of a stranger who kindly accepted my request to take her picture. All I have with me is a PEN. My other cameras geared for portraiture were all in the hotel.

Anyway, does the Sigma 16/30/56mm plays well with Olympus? So far, it plays well with my fuji camera. I am thinking of getting that or the oly pro series lens. Budget plays a part.

For my ‘style’, I uses off camera flashes as light fillers. Using the oly 17mm f2.8, in wedding reception lightening , on A mode, I am getting 800 iso.

I am aiming for sharper pictures in these kind of situations.

I am a strong believer of OM Systems and love my EM5 Mk3, upgrade to OM-1, then upgrade to OM-1 ii.
BUT, I use my OM System for it's strength (it's high FPS, ProCapture and 2x Multiplier on Focal Length) for wildlife shots etc.
I did tried using my OM System for portraits, it works but somehow limited.
You can try using Portrait lenses like 45mm F1.8 or F1.2 etc but bokeh wise, especially for wide angles, you are only getting F2.4 to F3.6 of a FF camera in comparison. If you are doing street photography style portraits, OM System wide teles 12-40 F2.8 (Full Frame 24-80 F5.6 equilvalent for bokeh) Your only choice is to use it with the M43 Panasonic (10-25 F1.7) (Full Frame 20-50 F3.4 equivalent which still may not may not give you the bokeh / subject separation you desire.

Depending on budget and the quality of bokeh you desire for your portraits, you may want to get a Full Frame system with F2.8 or wider prime lenses.
I did that because my son was into portraits and hence I invested in a Sony A7iii, a 55mm and a 85mm F1.8 for him. He has since upgraded the system and uses the Sony 24-70 F2.8 for very decent street portrait photos.

Every sensor format has its strength and weaknesses. Choose the one based on the type of photography you do most. :cool:

I am more of a portrait picture generator! Still not skilled enough to be considered a photographer!

To bring in some context, it was an impromptu portrait shoot of a stranger who kindly accepted my request to take her picture. All I have with me is a PEN. My other cameras geared for portraiture were all in the hotel.

Anyway, does the Sigma 16/30/56mm plays well with Olympus? So far, it plays well with my fuji camera. I am thinking of getting that or the oly pro series lens. Budget plays a part.

For my ‘style’, I uses off camera flashes as light fillers. Using the oly 17mm f2.8, in wedding reception lightening , on A mode, I am getting 800 iso.

I am a strong believer of OM Systems and love my EM5 Mk3, upgrade to OM-1, then upgrade to OM-1 ii.
BUT, I use my OM System for it's strength (it's high FPS, ProCapture and 2x Multiplier on Focal Length) for wildlife shots etc.
I did tried using my OM System for portraits, it works but somehow limited.
You can try using Portrait lenses like 45mm F1.8 or F1.2 etc but bokeh wise, especially for wide angles, you are only getting F2.4 to F3.6 of a FF camera in comparison. If you are doing street photography style portraits, OM System wide teles 12-40 F2.8 (Full Frame 24-80 F5.6 equilvalent for bokeh) Your only choice is to use it with the M43 Panasonic (10-25 F1.7) (Full Frame 20-50 F3.4 equivalent which still may not may not give you the bokeh / subject separation you desire.

Depending on budget and the quality of bokeh you desire for your portraits, you may want to get a Full Frame system with F2.8 or wider prime lenses.
I did that because my son was into portraits and hence I invested in a Sony A7iii, a 55mm and a 85mm F1.8 for him. He has since upgraded the system and uses the Sony 24-70 F2.8 for very decent street portrait photos.

Every sensor format has its strength and weaknesses. Choose the one based on the type of photography you do most. :cool:
Tks for the input. I do have a ff camera! I do understand that m43 strength lies not in portraiture. Nevertheless due to my ageing body, the lightweight of the m43 system has its merits for me.

I sincerely thanks you for your time answering my queries. As I type out my reply, things got clearer in my mind.

I need to remind myself that I want the m43 for ‘sports’ photography and for traveling.

Thanks to the many kind members that have shape my decision on m43.

May the m43 system future be bright and long lasting.

Wooh, you have asked some questions which would require some long or comprehensive answers in order for understanding. As usual gear is top of the list but personally I think it's what you want to do or photograph, in this case portraits and weddings.

All I have with me is a PEN. My other cameras geared for portraiture were all in the hotel.

As I said in my reply, unfortunately epl9 did not work well with Lumix 20mm.

I don't know but if it is designed for m43 it should work but then again sigma have to compromise and ensure it can perform reasonably well for both Panasonic and Olympus. Best is native lens. 16 = 32mm, 30= 60mm a little Tele from 50mm and 56= 112mm in fullframe equivalent. 16 and 30 more or less covered in the earlier videos which leaves the 56mm. If you want budget get a used 0lympus 45mm f1.8 which is 90mm Fullframe for a more traditional portrait lens. Or try a kit lens 14-42mm.

I am aiming for sharper pictures in these kind of situations

17mm being wide angle have good depth of field so photos should be sharp. Of course provided camera and lens can achieve fast and accurate auto focus. Same brand and lens play a significant part.

I am more of a portrait picture generator! Still not skilled enough to be considered a photographer.

Skilled or not is because you have not done the learning or homework , that's why you said experience was not 100% and a pain. 😱 Essentially you were not prepared and have no idea what you want to shoot.

You need to understand what is your motivation to be a portrait photographer and that is you care about people like this teacher. If you can use some of these tips you will be a champion. 👍

Next is most male photographers are clueless about lighting and posing of women to make them look good.

Then ordinary people have facial flaws and how to correct them with corrective posing.

Posing men starts from the feet.

Notice this lady pro asked model to let his thumbs hang out but he is wearing it jeans , can or not but video above say it's a no no. 😱😂 for obvious reason.

I

Last edited:
Wooh, you have asked some questions which would require some long or comprehensive answers in order for understanding. As usual gear is top of the list but personally I think it's what you want to do or photograph, in this case portraits and weddings.

As I said in my reply, unfortunately epl9 did not work well with Lumix 20mm.

I don't know but if it is designed for m43 it should work but then again sigma have to compromise and ensure it can perform reasonably well for both Panasonic and Olympus. Best is native lens. 16 = 32mm, 30= 60mm a little Tele from 50mm and 56= 112mm in fullframe equivalent. 16 and 30 more or less covered in the earlier videos which leaves the 56mm. If you want budget get a used 0lympus 45mm f1.8 which is 90mm Fullframe for a more traditional portrait lens. Or try a kit lens 14-42mm.

17mm being wide angle have good depth of field so photos should be sharp. Of course provided camera and lens can achieve fast and accurate auto focus. Same brand and lens play a significant part.

Skilled or not is because you have not done the learning or homework , that's why you said experience was not 100% and a pain. 😱 Essentially you were not prepared and have no idea what you want to shoot.

You need to understand what is your motivation to be a portrait photographer and that is you care about people like this teacher. If you can use some of these tips you will be a champion. 👍

Next is most male photographers are clueless about lighting and posing of women to make them look good.

Then ordinary people have facial flaws and how to correct them with corrective posing.

Posing men starts from the feet.

Notice this lady pro asked model to let his thumbs hang out but he is wearing it jeans , can or not but video above say it's a no no. 😱😂 for obvious reason.

Thanks for the tips and guidance! Will do a more in depth review of the video later.

I did tried a few Lumix lenses on my EM5 mk3, OM-1 and OM-1ii.
I have not tried the Lumix 20mm before but when I first got my OM-1, OM workspace offered to update the firmware on all my Olympus and Lumix lenses which I need. I am not sure if the updates are available on older Olympus Cameras but if it did, you can try updating the firmware on the lenses.

Anyway, you can also sell off your Lumix 20mm and get a Olympus lenses if you still have issues.

Having said the above, I am still waiting and hoping for OM Systems to develop greater lenses like during Olympus times :cool:

Strange that you say the EPL-9 does not work with the lumix 20mm. I know it works with Olympus and Panny mft bodies past and present. It's one of my early mft lens. It's not the fastest AF but it small and bright.

7869265622_50d0590aae_w.jpg

Shot this way back in 2012 with an EM5mk1 and the 20mm lens

6299158010_81248ec047_w.jpg

GF2 with the 20mm in 2011

Last edited:
In all fairness, lenses on the respective bodies do work but not as fast at autofocus as many have said over the years so if one is shooting weddings , events or street once you miss the moment it's gone so better to use native lenses like all the ambassadors unless you have all the time in the world to fine adjust the focus. Not practical when it's a paid shoot and action is moving fast and furious.🤪

Edit: If updates are available, the Olympus firmware section will be updatable with the update software if you have not downloaded to pc. Make sure your camera's battery is fully charged. Just follow the instructions. Just go to show the 2 companies implemented their camera and lens communication differently. Software will show current firmware version and whether you should update or not. Read what the new version update is s for, eg. a new lens which the camera body was not included before. It's optional if you think you are not ever going to use the lens.

Last edited: