problems with dslr in extremely cold weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why dont read Manual or ask the Manufacture?

I will be travelling to Northern sweden/finland during the winter times and i realised the temperature is going to drop to roughly -30 C. ... Has anyone been to such cold weather with a dslr? I'm currently using a d200 which is supposed to be 'weather-sealed' but im not sure if its able to withstand these temperatures.

I sadly do not have a cold weather case yet(if theres something like that). Can anyone advice me on some precautions to take while taking photos in that weather?

I have an aluminium manfrotto tripod with me as well, under -30C anyone know if the joints/legs will screw up and lock?

Thanks a-lot for reading my post and i hope someone with experience in these temperatures would be able to help me out!

Homan

Chances are that your cameras will be more comfortable in low temperatures than you are! My Nikons - all of them except the D3 - have been out and fully functional in temperatures down to about 0F, and a couple of them have been down to -10F. The things you have to account for are battery life, and what happens when you come back into warmth. The only reason that the D3 hasn't been down below 10F is that we haven't had any of those temperatures since I got it. The reason that the others haven't been below -10F is that *I* won't go out in those temps!

The battery is a chemical reaction that slows in low temps, so keeping a second battery in your pocket close to your skin will allow you to swap and keep going. Not a big deal as long as you have two.

Going back inside is an occasion that may promote condensation. To be safe, put the gear in a ziploc bag as you bring it inside and let it warm up for a half an hour. Then the condensation will be on the outside of the bag, and not on your lens and viewfinder.

One more thing, when it's snowing heavily, it's better to mount your lens hood. Helps to...
1) avoid snow getting on your lens
2) reduce glare from light reflacting from all the snow blanketing the ground.

I've been shooting with my D80 and now a D7000 at high-altitudes with temperature going as far down as -35 degrees without experiencing any significant issues, that said, i typically do not expose my camera outside of its bag for more than a minute of so, i've tried keeping the camera in a heated enclosure but all it ever did was to cause condensation on my lenses which is a pain to get rid of when you're wearing thick gloves not to mention risking frost in your camera, the only time i had issues with a dSLR at low temperatures was with a canon 350d, the shutter curtain basically froze and broke off entirely.

I do agree that overall DSLR still manages to work acceptably at low temperatures. However extreme temperatures will shorten the lifespan of most electronic components.

I started an info thread on solder point degradation at extreme temperature but still was 'flamed'.

Just try not to subject DSLR to large temperature change, or for too long. Material failure will set it, inevitably.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I know the thread is old, but since it's a sticky i'll just contribute my experience.

I'm using a 450D and i've brought it to Northern Sweden at -28deg celcius and also to Athens at 40 deg. My camera is thankfully still perfectly fine.

However one thing to note would be that in extreme cold weather (taking photo while on a ski mobile) the camera becomes 'laggy', but the shot is taken normally. Meaning that display comes out slower. Perhaps this is only the caching problem, my own suspicion. But all is fine.

Huh? Still can shoot using 450D at -28? I read somewhere that the temp range for 70D is between 0 to 40 degrees celsius.....

Those cameras with magnesium alloy bodies should have a larger range....

Huh? Still can shoot using 450D at -28? I read somewhere that the temp range for 70D is between 0 to 40 degrees celsius.....
Those cameras with magnesium alloy bodies should have a larger range....
The given temperature range is the range for which the manufacturer guarantees flawless operation. Beyond the range there is no assurance anymore but that doesn't mean the camera stops working at -5C or +45C.

cold weather cause my camera to drain battery too fast,
bring 3 battery also cannot last one day/night at -10-15

cold weather cause my camera to drain battery too fast,
bring 3 battery also cannot last one day/night at -10-15
Actually, it's not draining. It is the slow down of the chemical reaction that produces the current. If the current delivered by the battery is getting lower the camera electronics will interpret this as 'battery getting empty'. Bring the battery into a warm room, let it warm up and it should work well again. Alternatively, put the battery into an inside pocked of the jacket, close to your body. Once it's warmed up it will work again for some time.

Hi Homan,

I used my 5D MkIII in -7ºC temp with no problems. If you can carry your camera under your jacket it might help. Even My handphone camera worked fine. I understand -30ºC is many times worse so fogging of lens may become an issue if taken from one extreme to another. Sorry only my 2 cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.