Olympus users: How to take pictures when I'm alone?

mexican88

May 4, 2009
Singapore
I have this problem. I have a camera stand, I put the camera on timer and run into the frame. The shots always not focus on my face.

I switch on Continuous focus mode, doesn't help.

I switch on continuous focus mode + facial recognition, does't help.

In the end, I am forced to close my aperture to F16 just to get that decently sharp shot with my face in it.

As an em5ii owner, I am able to flip the screen and see that the box does recognise my face, although it doesn't turn green.

Anyone knows the proper setting or procedure to take such shots?

Use the Olympus mobile app or manually set ur focus b4 u run to the spot.

I have this problem. I have a camera stand, I put the camera on timer and run into the frame. The shots always not focus on my face.

I switch on Continuous focus mode, doesn't help.

I switch on continuous focus mode + facial recognition, does't help.

In the end, I am forced to close my aperture to F16 just to get that decently sharp shot with my face in it.

As an em5ii owner, I am able to flip the screen and see that the box does recognise my face, although it doesn't turn green.

Anyone knows the proper setting or procedure to take such shots?

when you set self timer, you camera need to focus on something to activate it, since you are not in the frame, so there is noting to focus on. to solve this, you can;

1, use some thing to stand in and focus on it, than you move into frame and replace it position.
2, stand where you suppose to pose with your camera, focus on the tripod base, than switch to manual focus mode and mount the camera onto tripod, activate self timer, go to the place you want to pose and wait for the shutter open.
3, use a wireless remote release instead of self timer.

Use the Olympus mobile app or manually set ur focus b4 u run to the spot.

manually set focus is not really accurate, especially when background is far far away

olympus mobile app seems to be the way.. although it's pretty troublesome setting it up.. truly no other ways?

Is there a wireless remote that the Olympus system has? Im using a third party infrared remote for the Sony e-mount which works wonders.

FYI, just Google "how to do self portrait", "tips of self portrait" you will find many similar information like what I wrote.

FYI, just Google "how to do self portrait", "tips of self portrait" you will find many similar information like what I wrote.

yeah i know, but i thought with a camera as advanced as the em5ii, maybe there is a hidden feature or something i might have missed out, since especially with the flip screen, there might be a "selfie" friendly feature, although I'm not too sure self portrait is considered a selfie lol

Last edited:
Is there a wireless remote that the Olympus system has? Im using a third party infrared remote for the Sony e-mount which works wonders.

Yeah there's a Olympus Image Share app that allows you to trigger your camera via wifi (smartphone). Kind of a stupid name for the app because "image share" sounds like it just downloads the pictures from your camera then upload them. In reality there's a wireless trigger mode as well, though I think you can't record videos with it.

Not sure if this is avail on oly cams.. I used the face recognition on a sony a6000.
Set afs, face recognition. Set shutter release to focus priority.
Again.. not sure if oly's implementation is similar. .
Hope this helps.

ok for me, tried and tested on the Pen 5, EM5II and EM1.

Mount on tripod , disable IBIS, set timer of around 12 seconds, focus and shoot.

if issue is an focusing - i always set focusing on tripod itself from where I will be standing and MF first, then swop positions.

i do hope one day maybe Olympus can do a 'smile-activated' shutter ;)

Turn face detection on.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I think most photographers do not like to take photo of themselves. I am one of them.

I think most photographers do not like to take photo of themselves. I am one of them.

LOL. Yes. Me included. I think Oly image share will be useful for self portrait.

Just put a water bottle or whatever on the spot where you will stand.
Focus at that, then either have your camera set to MF or wireless trigger does not AF.
Go over to your marked spot.
Press the wireless trigger (or activate time release and run over)

No need anything too fancy IMHO. ;)

use the olympus mobile app. the new version is good. can do/change all the settings on the app including manual mode.

Increase depth of field.

however for those who suggest using the oly share app hor.. will your pictures end up be of yourself pressing something on your handphone?

however for those who suggest using the oly share app hor.. will your pictures end up be of yourself pressing something on your handphone?
You can put a timer then chuck your phone somewhere, say in your pocket.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk