Need tripod for travelling?

SIrui N1205 is not bad with G20 ballhead...quite sturdy, and can even put inside my think tank streetwalker HD...
very light for travel...for myself i've been to places before which i decided not to bring tripod (last time i used the aluminum bulky one manfrotto 190B)
so missed the magnificent landscapes...
now, i will bring a tripod all the time.... :)

I am using T1204 with G10. Sufficient for my use. Light and stable.

@denzelwng4,

your sirui n1205 help up well for your travels? i read that the skinny legs makes for a not too stable tripod base when taking long shutter speeds, did you find that to be true in your experience?

@denzelwng4,

your sirui n1205 help up well for your travels? i read that the skinny legs makes for a not too stable tripod base when taking long shutter speeds, did you find that to be true in your experience?

there is a hook in the center column i believe which u can hung your bag or put some weight there to weight down the tripod.

but of cos dun try this against strong waves and strong winds.

A tripod weights at least 2 kg, more is better. Airfreight, carrying seldom used gear? How is it with a table tripod?
Two years ago I have bought a monopod. To be honest, I don't use it often.
A well known photographer here use this monopod for every picture, he shoots. He convinced me to buy one.
Are tripods still necessary with these extremely high iso cameras?
Jan

A tripod weights at least 2 kg, more is better. Airfreight, carrying seldom used gear? How is it with a table tripod?
Two years ago I have bought a monopod. To be honest, I don't use it often.
A well known photographer here use this monopod for every picture, he shoots. He convinced me to buy one.
Are tripods still necessary with these extremely high iso cameras?
Jan

if a tripod weights like a brick... i dun think you are keen to bring it for travelling. Incur baggage cost also.

There is light stable tripods below 1.5kg.

if a tripod weights like a brick... i dun think you are keen to bring it for travelling. Incur baggage cost also.

There is light stable tripods below 1.5kg.

would like to hear some recommendations sinned79, thanks =)

would like to hear some recommendations sinned79, thanks =)

I am currently using Sirui T1204 with G10 ballhead. The weight is about 1.1-1.2kg approximately.

I have brought this tripod to Great Ocean Road (it can get very windy there!) to shoot. No issues for me.

Haven try near the sea yet :p

@denzelwng4,

the longest exposure i've tried is 30 seconds no problem at all...
legs are quite stable for me, sometimes i go birding with 70-200 f2.8 and ext tubes, no issues at all...

the longest exposure i've tried is 30 seconds no problem at all...
legs are quite stable for me, sometimes i go birding with 70-200 f2.8 and ext tubes, no issues at all...

In normal weather condition, my longest exposure so far is 5-6 mins. Also done shooting time lapse over 1 hour with 30-45 secs exposure for each frame as well.

In very strong wind condition like below photo, the exposure was 30 secs... using GND + ND filter... i also hooked my bag into the center column to stablise it further.

7164498646_dd165ed8b4.jpg

this set-up is nice also....

yup, basically I loved it so much since it is lightweight that I will always make it a point to bring for my travel if I am going to use for less then a day! lol

my previous old tripod (a SLIK model) was so heavy that I barely used it even in Singapore.

Last edited:
In normal weather condition, my longest exposure so far is 5-6 mins. Also done shooting time lapse over 1 hour with 30-45 secs exposure for each frame as well.

In very strong wind condition like below photo, the exposure was 30 secs... using GND + ND filter... i also hooked my bag into the center column to stablise it further.

7164498646_dd165ed8b4.jpg

yup, basically I loved it so much since it is lightweight that I will always make it a point to bring for my travel if I am going to use for less then a day! lol

my previous old tripod (a SLIK model) was so heavy that I barely used it even in Singapore.

magnificent photo u got there bro, so the tripod performance speaks on this photo... :thumbsup:

Great picture! Thank you for the input on the sirui tripod denzel and sinned

Hmm, since this is pertaining to Europe, does anyone here have experience with using tripods in churches etc? Specifically in Italy.

Dunno much about tripods becoz I only tried shooting landscape recently. I bought myself a manfrotto 055cxpro4 with 054series head and I think the whole setup weights about 2.3kg? It doesn't feel very heavy so I'm cool with it. Its always good to bring a tripod along when travel unless you are only into street photography like I was. All my trips overseas, I only bring films, my RFs and 2 lenses. All I need for street.

Depends.. I brought a tripod during my last 2 overseas travel, 1 group tour and the other backpack.. never used them because too troublesome

A tripod is a must if you are shooting night scene with long exposure which cannot be done with hand held way. A little hand shake will affect the image. Since you are going Europe, I will strongly recommend that you get one. It's worth the effort when you see the nice images. I recently bought manfrotto 190b. About 1.8kg and brought it along my hk trip. Not really that heavy for a female. Think for guys you can attach it to yr backpack if any and off you go.

Parish level churches may not have an issue, provided you ask permission, but the major Cathedrals Europe wide have effectively banned tripods for the most part unless you are a professional photographer with a track record who is shooting for a reason and who has sought permission from the relevant church officials and authorities as required. A few Cathedrals are also charging hefty fees for professional photography. Even monopods are banned in more than a few.