My View on Night Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mezzotint

Dec 27, 2004
Balestier area
martinliew.zenfolio.com
Night Photography

Night photography generally refers to photographs taken outdoors between twilight and dusk. Originally night photographers had a choice between using artificial light such as flash units/torchlights or leaving the camera on a tripod and using a long shutter exposure, often for seconds or even several minutes to hours per exposure or multi-exposures, in order to give the film enough time to capture enough light to record a proper exposure.

As of today, with the progress of films and lenses and the increasing power of urban lights, night photography can often be achieved using available light e.g. floodlights, warm tungsten spotlights and even under full moon light, however this does not make the use of long exposures or a flash obsolete.

Night photography, by its very nature, is a subjective study. Almost every photographer at some point gets curious and wanders into the darkness with camera and tripod in hand...

To read more, visit my blog site here.

Hi Mezzotint,

Really thank you so much for sharing out your views and thoughts on Night Photography. It is very inspiring. As much, I have decided to add my list of aims for starting out this Night Photography forum and make this into a sticky thread. Thank you very much.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All CSers,

The aim of starting a dedicated forum for Night Photography is for photographers to discuss about
1. Night (cum Flashlight) Photography techniques, tips and tricks and
2. Good locations for Night Photography/taking star trails and also
3. To share out photographs/pictures of night/flashlight photography eg. Star trails, Astrophotography, Painting with lights, night cityscape and scenery, uses of flashlight on subjects, taking Fireworks, taking traffic trails and etc...
4. Convergence and Consolidation of information and knowledge about Night (and Flashlight) Photography which will be very useful for both film and digital users.
5. Organise Night Photography Outing and getting to know other Night Photographers
6. Interesting Books on Night Photography (Please see Sticky Thread here)
7. Links to other interesting sites on Night Photography (Please See Stick Thread here)

Status
Not open for further replies.