Continuous Fluorescent Light (Technical)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you guys will read here first before posting anything.

This thread is strictly to share with one another on topics relating to CFL on:
Technical knowledge in using CFL
Tips and tricks
How different brand of camera behave when using CFL
Auto White balance issues/theories/troubleshoot
Lights/CRI/Color temperature/full spectrum theory
Getting good images and how you achieve it with CFL
How different brand of fluorescents behave (heat/CRI/and etc)
Types of CFLs
DIY CFL, interesting stuff relating to CFL

Please don't post things like:
Sourcing for CFL (Please please don't do it here, you go google yourself or post your own WTB in Buy/Sell)
Comparing with others equipments (I truly believe that different type of photography equipment has it own unique strength and weakness) If you really want to compare, please post your own thread.

Hope everyone will find this thread useful in someways. For guys who are CFL owners/non-owners, I hope we can make use of this and learn from each others. thanks :bsmilie:

Hi all, just came across these two very very cool videos on "choosing lights", very well made and I have to said that is the best I have seen so far :thumbsup:. Very detailed infos about all kinds of continuous artificial light sources from the very old tungsten to the very new "LED", they even covered on flash (very brief though) light source. Do check it out guys

Choosing a Lighting Kit - 01
Choosing a Lighting Kit - 02

Strobist - SUNPAK 120J PROFESSIONAL , Photography with Continuous Fluorescent Lights

hi all, came across these cool videos featuring another type of high end professional CFL, fluorescent tubes or some call it light bank. Do check it out :bsmilie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEWiRzjuy8A&feature=related

I really like these lights (personal opinion), very versatile and yet have a very solid/tough build to it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4v_E_eOds&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS70vwf38Kg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/user/BurnieB10#p/c/7A2E0D4633C73DCE/2/F8fYCVtd81E

Anyway will also like to thank the moderator/CS admin :cool: who have make this thread a sticky. Hope everyone will also share your experience/knowledge in relationship with CFL in this thread.

Strobist - SUNPAK 120J PROFESSIONAL, Photography with Continuous Fluorescent Lights

hi all, if you are looking into making yourself a DIY CFL. Than this is a good reference video. This creative guy :cool:shows step by step how he made a DIY "light bank" CFL at a low cost from ordinary household and hardware materials. Really like the part when he showed how he made a flexi reflector with just plastic board, coat hanger wires and tapes. Do check it out

Very COOL DIY "light bank" CFL @ a low budget :thumbsup:

Strobist - SUNPAK 120J PROFESSIONAL, Photography with Continuous Fluorescent Lights

hi all, came across this video by photographer Gavin Hoey :thumbsup: who gave his overview/intro on a new kind of CFL. Do check out his other very cool and informative videos where he used the CFLs in photographing product and portrait.

Overview/intro on CFL by Gavin Hoey

Portrait Photography using CFLs by Gavin
In this video, Gavin will give his personal views on advantages in using CFLs. He will than proceed to share on how he use the CFLs for photography.

Hi all, just to share with you all on this very cool video by photographer Mark Wallace, he is the creator of this of very very popular YouTube series called "Digital Photography 1 on 1". If you are a newbie and you are into flash/strobe photography. These are your must see videos :thumbsup:

Custom White Balance using Nikon and Canon (under tungsten light)
Mark Wallace will demonstrate how he set custom white balance with Nikon and Canon DSLRs using a 18% grey card. He will also touch on some basic theory on white balance at the beginning of the video. Do check it out.

Few weeks back, I saw this ultra cool video from Fstoppers where they used an iPhone to do a fashion shoot. One of the setup, Lee Morris used a beauty dish (strobe modeling light) + other modifiers to lit a model. This inspired me to come up something similar below:

CFLbd.jpg

Well... in a way, still need some improvisation. The fluorescent is a 55W bulb as I can't squeeze in my bigger 85W. Will look into it when I have more time. Coming August, I will try to do a shoot with this "CFL" beauty dish and see what I get.

Strobist - SUNPAK 120J PROFESSIONAL , Photography with Continuous Fluorescent Lights

Bdishtestshoot01.jpg

Yes :bsmilie:, after 2 weeks+ of planning. I finally got a chance to try out the CFL beauty Dish. When my good friend pal WEE saw the beauty dish, he ask me what I call this, I told him I call it the MNM CFL beauty Dish. MNM stands for Mix and Match, basically the whole thingy is formed by using different equipments that I own. The photos from the shoot can be view here.

Just to clarify some of the info in this thread; the 'spectrum' of a light source is effectively the wavelengths of the colour spectrum the light source outputs. A continuous spectrum light source is anything which burns (i.e. daylight - the sun, fire, tungsten). 'Continuous' refers to the fact that a light source like this would output a percentage of every colour represented in the colour spectrum.

It's easiest to imagine it as being represented by a graph, with the colour frequency underneath. A continous spectrum light source would look like this (where RGB etc would be represented as wavelengths, measured in Nanometers - Nm):

diag1.jpg

A discontinuous spectrum light source is generally one which tries to emulate daylight, and they're usually electronic (i.e. light bulb, flourescent tubes). These output as many colours as they can to try and appear as a continous source, but they have wavelengths of colour missing. Again, in graphical form, they would appear:

diag2.jpg

This would represent your typical household light bulb.

The final one is a Line-Plus continuum source, which would be your electronic flash, or a daylight-balanced bulb. This is effectively a better discontinuous source, in that it tries to represent a larger percentage of the wavelengths.

diag3.jpg

Note how many more wavelengths are shown to fill the gaps.

The colour temperature of a light source comes from whichever of those wavelengths is the more dominant. A fluorescent tube would show a green cast in photos, as that would be the most dominant wavelength. The human eye automatically converts this, but the camera does not (hence WB settings).

Hope that helps.

*Excuse the diagrams, they were knocked together very quickly in CS3. They're not intended to be accurate in terms of the colours, or the range of wavelengths.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Rogue86 for the detailed clarification/explanation relating to 'spectrum'. Appreciated Bro :D

Just a quick update for this thread, if you are one of those guys who like to DIY your own gear. This DIY ring light video is a "must see", do check out the catch light effects at the end of the video

Ultra Cool DIY "Fluorescent Bulbs" ring light

Hope you guys like it.

Strobist - SUNPAK 120J PROFESSIONAL,Photography with Continuous Fluorescent Lights

Hi all, came across two product reviews talking about this one new type of CFL i have never seen before. If you are CFL user fan like me, these two videos are worth checking out.

Flora CFL Review One
A short product video review by a Photographer
Flora CFL Review Two
Longer and more detailed product video review by two video/film instructors.

Hi everyone, just an update with two videos for you guys to check out.

Flora CFL Review Three.
If you like the two previous product reviews, do check out this "hot" and informative review on Flora CFL by female photographer SnapChick :lovegrin:.

Ultra Cool DIY "Fluorescent Bulbs" ring light II
Another cool video on DIY ring light. Do check out the "gorgeous lighting" on the female model with this DIY ring light.

Recently LINCO, the maker of FLORA lights have produced numerous new videos. And two of the videos, were actually comparison of different continuous lights gear/equipments. A flash strobe was also shown in the two videos but was not tested due to obvious fact that it is not continuous...

Light Intensity test between HMI, Halogen, LED, Fluorescent and Fluorescent Light bank

Who's the best: HMI, Halogen, LED, Fluorescent and Fluorescent Light bank?
Personally... I don't quite agree to the video titled "who's best", each light have its unique strength and weakness. It all come down to individual preference, budget and situation needs. However if you are a newbie who like to find out more on this topic. These are "quite" good reference videos for you to start with.

dacian

thanks useful video

thanks dacian.

Anyway, here are some videos on CF Ring Light. I first saw these about two years back when it was much smaller in size, and commonly people use it to shoot small products. As time goes by. It get bigger and bigger and now people used it to shoot music video and even stills. I don't own any CFRL, so I can't share my experience with you guys. If any CS guys and gals out there do owned these big CFRL. Please do share with us your experience using these lights. I am very interested to find out will it produced something similar to the classic "diffused layers shadow" like the strobe ring flash?

Diva Ring Light Review by Olivia
A short product review by the beautiful Olivia Speranza. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Diva Ring Light UNboxing + Review
Its more of a unboxing video, but the presenter does give his views on the 18" CFRL. Do check it out. :thumbsup:

Now for guys who like to DIY, below is a very cool video to check out.
DIY Ring Lights by Hey Just J
Very cool video by "J", detailed and informative :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi all, came across these product reviews on two different type of CFL octagon. If you are interested in octagon shaped softbox do check these out.

Impact CFL Octacool review by BHphoto
A very informative review follow by a photo shoot demo :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Octagon CFL softbox by Olivia
These have been around for quite some time, matter of fact I used these for my product and portrait shoot. Anyway its still worth to watch as it is review by the beautiful Olivia Speranza. ;) :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.