Baileydew

May 10, 2004
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/news/2005a/nr050630fisheyee.cfm

Fish-Eye Lens with Super-Close-up Focusing Capability
Olympus Announces Schedule for Introduction of
“ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F3.5 Fisheye”

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/news/2005a/image/nr050630fisheyee_01.jpg

Summary

Olympus Imaging Corporation (President: Masaharu Okubo) is pleased to announce the introduction of the “ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F3.5 Fisheye”, the first fixed-focal fisheye lens in the ZUIKO DIGITAL series. The new lens will go on sale in January 2006.

ZUIKO DIGITAL lenses, designed specifically for use with digital SLR cameras, comply with the Four Thirds System, and are able to exploit the full power of the CCD in the E-1 launched in 2003 and E-300 introduced in December 2004.

The “ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm (*16mm) F3.5 Fisheye” has a 180º field of view diagonal to the image sensor. This high-performance lens is perfect for photographers wishing to enjoy the special creative possibilities, including powerful deformation effects that can be achieved with a fisheye lens.

Another feature of this lens is its super-close-up focusing capability, allowing photography as close as 2cm from the lens front to the subject. This ability to approach the subject aggressively is essential to the creation of images with exaggerated perspective effects.

For professional-standard underwater fisheye photography, this product can be used in conjunction with the optional PT-EO1 underwater case (to go on sale in June 2005), which is specifically designed for the E-300, and the optional PPO-EO4 underwater lens port (to go on sale in July 2005) for this lens. This underwater system can withstand pressures at depths of up to 60m. The unique expressive qualities of fisheye lens photography can now be achieved in underwater settings as well as on land.

* Figures in parentheses indicate equivalent focal lengths for a 35mm film camera.

Product Category Product Name Launch Date
Interchangeable Lens ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F3.5 Fisheye January 2006

Main Features
1. Fisheye Lens with 180º Field of View Diagonal to the Image Sensor

This diagonal fish-eye lens has an 180º field of view diagonally to the Four Thirds image sensor. Its focal distance is 8mm (equivalent to 16mm in a 35mm camera). It can be used to create out-of-the-ordinary photographic images that cannot be seen with the naked eye, such as humorous representations of the subject using extreme barrel-distortion around the periphery, or images with exaggerated perspective made possible by the extremely deep depth of field that is a feature of fisheye lenses. Because this lens is specifically designed for digital cameras and conforms to the “Four Thirds System,” it will provide reliable photographic performance even at the periphery of images.

2. Super-Close-Up Capability — Just 2cm from Lens Front to Subject

With a minimum focusing distance of 13cm (2cm from the front of the lens to the subject), this lens can be used to approach the subject aggressively for wide-macro photography. This feature is the key to the creation of images with exaggerated perspective effects.

3. Standard Lens for Underwater Photography

Because of the different refractive indexes of air and water, the angle of field underwater will be approximately 153º *, and since it is more difficult to capture light underwater, it is necessary to be closer to the subject. The super-close-up capability of this lens allows photography with the subject just 2cm from the edge of the lens (0cm from the edge of the PPO-E04) to achieve the wide-macro effects for which fisheye lens are famous.

When used with the PPO-E04 underwater lens port (designed specifically for fisheye lens)

Other Features

ED Lens Element Used to Minimize Chromatic Aberration

By using ED lens element, Olympus has eliminated peripheral chromatic aberration, which cannot be fully corrected with conventional optical glasses. The result is excellent resolution and contrast.

Multi-Coating Process to Reduce Ghosting and Flaring Even against the Light

Olympus has used a multi-coating process to minimize ghosting and flaring.

Circular Aperture for Soft, Gentle Defocusing of Background

By using a seven-blade system, Olympus has created a circular aperture that allows an attractive, realistic defocusing effect from close to the aperture.

Dust and Water Droplet Resistance for Enhanced Reliability

Exterior parts of the lens have been sealed to provide excellent protection against water droplets and dust. This ensures reliable performance even under the tough shooting conditions experienced by professional photographers.

Main Specifications

Product ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F3.5 Fisheye
Focal Length 8mm (*35mm equivalent focal length 16mm )
Lens Construction 10 elements in 6 groups, including 1 ED lens
Angle of View 180º
Focusing Distance 0.135m-∞
Maximum Image Magnification 0.22x (*35mm equivalent magnification 0.44x)
Minimum Field size 75 x 132mm
Number of Blades 7 (Circular Aperture Diaphragm)
Aperture Max.F3.5, Min.F22
Size Max. diameter Ø79.0 mm
Length 78.0 mm
Weight 455 g
Others -Lens Hood built-in
-Can be used with EC-14 Teleconverter

Accessories
Lens cap “LC-74”, Lens Case “LSC-0814”

at http://www.olympus.co.jp
RRP is 93,000 yen (97,650 yen after taxes)
which is about SGD$1400 - SGD$1500.
should be lower once it hits the streets ....

So for this Fish Eye Lens will be fall under the med class range. ;)
To Me, I find that the F-Stop is too high already in term if technology up to date wise.

I can't believe that the news of this lens is that fast... moveover design of this lens is finalised. Currently hope to see the result of this Lens. Hope that it still give impressive result. ;)

Merciless_Knight said:
Hi NMSS_2, chii and Nightpiper,

MO MO MO.... Mian Tu Liao... :devil:

:bsmilie:

WAH!! HENG AH!!! lucky i m not into this kind of distorted perspective arty farty stuff. :bsmilie: save me some money. its really about time Oly re-adjust their lens prices. then everyone can go:

BUY LAH!! :devil:

I think it will be very useful for most indoors architectural photos. What do everyone think. How does the specs compare to similar lenses for Canon and Nikon. Anyone knows?

For fish-eye lens the effect could be interesting but I still prefer super wide angle lens which would be far more practical. For example large group photos or landscape, the super wide angle lens will do a "better" job.

cheers

serene said:
I think it will be very useful for most indoors architectural photos. What do everyone think. How does the specs compare to similar lenses for Canon and Nikon. Anyone knows?

nope fisheye rounds the image so a ultra wide is best for indoor archi shots.

Teo said:
For fish-eye lens the effect could be interesting but I still prefer super wide angle lens which would be far more practical. For example large group photos or landscape, the super wide angle lens will do a "better" job.

cheers

I wonder what will be the specs for the super wide? For eg, many of the well known temples. cathedrals where there is a lot of details in the ceilings and columns, I thought the fish eye will be able to capture all these? Am I wrong?

Using fisheye lens, the image is greatlly distorted where straight lines turned out to be curved. When taken near portrait, the preson would have a big oversized nose

Teo said:
Using fisheye lens, the image is greatlly distorted where straight lines turned out to be curved. When taken near portrait, the preson would have a big oversized nose

correct, fishy eyes will create a "sphere" effect on what ever you are shooting.

I suppose ppl who would do a 360degree photo stitch would be intrested.

There are actually software out there that will transform a fisheye image to a rectilinear image.

Nikon is already doing that with the Nikon Capture 4 software with their 10.5mm DX lens.

The only trouble is with getting used to the distortion while taking the pictures. You have to kinda guess with LOTS of experience where the "bends" are going to be corrected for.

XanderMan said:
There are actually software out there that will transform a fisheye image to a rectilinear image.

Nikon is already doing that with the Nikon Capture 4 software with their 10.5mm DX lens.

The only trouble is with getting used to the distortion while taking the pictures. You have to kinda guess with LOTS of experience where the "bends" are going to be corrected for.

FYI
Not only Nikon Capture have that.

Olympus Studio also had this function.

I hv seen fisheye photos and some of them looks a bit curvy but not that excessively distorted. I felt it is fine and the picture is quite well understood

serene said:
I hv seen fisheye photos and some of them looks a bit curvy but not that excessively distorted. I felt it is fine and the picture is quite well understood

Fish eye is the effect of 180º of view which mechanically cannot achieve. Not like a human eye who can view 180º with 3D Effect. Noramlly Human eye can view "straight effect" is due to constant adjusting of our eye and intersive "processing" of our brain. But on Mechanically, in order to view 180º in a circulcar Lens to a flat surface, there is bound to some distortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.