Zoom range of 18-135mm

Ivshootphoto

Dec 17, 2007
Hi all,

May I know what is the zoom range at 135?. Like equivalent to how many times zoom in Digital camera?.

Thanks
Iven

Hi all,

May I know what is the zoom range at 135?. Like equivalent to how many times zoom in Digital camera?.

Thanks
Iven
The zoom ratio is the longest focal length divided by the shortest focal length.

At 135mm you have reached the end of the zoom range ...

Erm, so it is 135/18. Am I right?.
About 7.5x..

Even if it is mathematically correct .. it's a useless marketing gibberish. What really matters are the absolute values in "35mm equivalent". A lens with 24-180mm will have exactly the same zoom factor. But the wide angle end is not as wide and the telephoto end will be longer compared to your 18-135mm lens. So how much does the zoom factor really tell you?
Photography notes for newbies - happy reading.

Erm, so it is 135/18. Am I right?.
About 7.5x..

Iven

You can't compare it to compacts, because it's all cheap marketing. If I give you two lenses, one is a 10-100mm and the other is 100-1000mm, both are "10x zoom" but there are big differences in focal length

7.5x zoom.

out of curiosity - what are you going to do with this number?

for compact, it's fascinating to have say 20x zoom... for dslr, I am rather fascinated by "1 x zoom"- prime lens:bsmilie:

no one talks about zoom ratio for dslr lens...consider the focal length...

You can't compare it to compacts, because it's all cheap marketing. If I give you two lenses, one is a 10-100mm and the other is 100-1000mm, both are "10x zoom" but there are big differences in focal length

well said.

comparing 18-200 (11.1x zoom) vs 70-200 (2.9x zoom). the latter cost 3 times more then the other. but the first can zoom 4 times more then the latter. so which is better?

:think: those camera manufacturers really have got a lot of people believing their hogwash, eh?
Successful marketing, I would say.

It's really a losing game trying to convince newbies about megapixels and zoom factor.... sigh...

Hi all, sorry, I am also very new to CS, and I was reading thru all the post to get more infor, and really interest me.

So, what's the difference between a 18-135mm vs a 24-180mm? is it that one produces wider pics than the other?

Some one mentioned it depends on the absolute values in "35mm equivalent". What does that mean?

Hi all, sorry, I am also very new to CS, and I was reading thru all the post to get more infor, and really interest me.

So, what's the difference between a 18-135mm vs a 24-180mm? is it that one produces wider pics than the other?

Some one mentioned it depends on the absolute values in "35mm equivalent". What does that mean?

I suggest reading up a little bit online on aps-C. It will detail crop factor too.

The 18-135 is capable of wider pics, yes, because it has the 18-23mm range which the other lens does not.

the 18-135 is capable of wider shots since the widest end is 18mm, while the 24-180 is has its widest end at 24mm. but the later gives slightly longer reach at 180mm.

Like what Rashkae mentioned, read up on crop factor of sensors, and u will derive the "35mm equivalent" concept. Different camera systems have different crop factors.

ryan