Zoom Lens to recommend ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkuean

Apr 12, 2008
s314.photobucket.com
Hey guys and gals, i thinking of getting a zoom lens that goes to at least/ around 300mm and preferbly got vr and work wells in dim lighting.. Any lens to recommend? It has to be affordable la... cause i dun have a big pocket..

thanks in advance!!

Hey guys and gals, i thinking of getting a zoom lens that goes to at least/ around 300mm and preferbly got vr and work wells in dim lighting.. Any lens to recommend? It has to be affordable la... cause i dun have a big pocket..

thanks in advance!!

I'm assuming u're using Nikon since you said VR, then you can try to go for Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED :)

Price tag about SGD$850

yup.. nikon user right here... just asking besides nikon,does third party lens like tamron or Sigma or smth, have vr similar properties?

yup.. nikon user right here... just asking besides nikon,does third party lens like tamron or Sigma or smth, have vr similar properties?

Yes. Tamron has VC (Vibration Compensation) and Sigma has OS (Optical Stabiliser). Tamron only has one lens which has this technology which is the 28-300mm VC. On the other hand, Sigma has a number of OS lenses. Take a look at the website. Those with OS in the name of the lenses has OS (obviously haha) http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all.asp

Dim lighting scenarios can be further broken down to:

1. With tripod and with still subject. Above-mentioned lenses can be used. Use a cable-release for best results.
2. With tripod, but moving subject. Need faster lens of F/2.8 and below so as to achieve higher shutter speed to freeze subject movement. Use a cable-release for best results.
3. Without tripod. Use flash, or an faster lens of F/1.7 and below. Recommended to go for primes (35mm or 50mm) for portraiture. Forget about night scenery or landscapes.

Dim lighting scenarios can be further broken down to:

1. With tripod and with still subject. Above-mentioned lenses can be used. Use a cable-release for best results.
2. With tripod, but moving subject. Need faster lens of F/2.8 and below so as to achieve higher shutter speed to freeze subject movement. Use a cable-release for best results.
3. Without tripod. Use flash, or an faster lens of F/1.7 and below. Recommended to go for primes (35mm or 50mm) for portraiture. Forget about night scenery or landscapes.

oic thanks.. i think i would most likely use it for the second category .. do u have any lens in mind?

A zoom ard 300mm with f2.8 will burn a big hole in ur pocket.

I also think a 70-300mm VR fits ur bill. What would you like to shoot ?

Ryan

Definitely get the Nikkor lens. You may pay a bit more, but you won't regret it. There is a big difference between the Nikkor lenses and other third party lenses. :) The 18-200mm VR is also excellent, providing a lot of zoom and heaps of flexibility with the availablity of the wide angle as well. Good luck! :)

A zoom ard 300mm with f2.8 will burn a big hole in ur pocket.

I also think a 70-300mm VR fits ur bill. What would you like to shoot ?

Ryan

true, but given his requirements, it may well have to be the case.. to shoot at 300mm in low lighting conditions is not gonna be easy.. what more with a moving subject.. a large aperture is gonna be needed here..

Oh cool.. thanks for another the replys... after view Mendis photos, the 70-300mm Vr lens looks really good.. quite tempted..
but i also considering the Tamron 28-300mm Vc lens... anybody used to before?

true, but given his requirements, it may well have to be the case.. to shoot at 300mm in low lighting conditions is not gonna be easy.. what more with a moving subject.. a large aperture is gonna be needed here..

Hmm.. i said dim lighting cause i mostly shoot indoors... then most of the time the lighting is quite bad mah...

There are no Nikkors giving u a zoom that includes 300mm with aperture of 2.8. The best fit is a prime 300mm f2.8, or the Nikon 200-400/4. There are other 3rd party choices such as the Sigma APO 200-500 f2.8.

But u can check out their prices for educational purposes ;)

Ryan

i dun think i'll get the low fstop lens now... unless i super rich la( which i'm not).. haha
would be contended with the vr..

Hmm.. i said dim lighting cause i mostly shoot indoors... then most of the time the lighting is quite bad mah...
if it's indoors, then I'm quite sure you won't need 300mm.. just get the widely popular 50mm prime lens f/1.4 or f/1.7.. because it's indoors, you don't really need the zoom.. unless it is that cramped and difficult to move around.. ;)

i already got the 85mm f1.8... but i my hand still itching for a zoom lens la.. so yar lor..

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:
but i not intending to get it immediately... no money... need to save up first la... so i want to know how much to put aside mah... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.