zoom lens! or wide angle or macro!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D How do you maximise the potential for zoom lens!

How and where and which situations can you use it in!
any place, any function and any how use!

Umm this question is to vague. What do you mean by maximising the potential? Isnt that done though self-discovery of your own personal shooting styles and techniques since you will shoot differntly in different circumstances? The way I see it you maximise the potential of a zoom lens by shooting enough with it so you know how to get the shots you want.

Guess u got to indentify your main objectives what u want to acheive in your photos and get the approriate lens for your photos.. Each type of zoom lens have their different focal length for different scenarios..

Umm this question is to vague. What do you mean by maximising the potential? Isnt that done though self-discovery of your own personal shooting styles and techniques since you will shoot differntly in different circumstances? The way I see it you maximise the potential of a zoom lens by shooting enough with it so you know how to get the shots you want.

i guess what i am really confused is between the functionality of each lens.

while wide angle amplies the width of the picture you can take,? what about zoom and macro or even telephoto?

are telephoo and macro big brothers of the zoom lens? where they have even more powerful zoom properties?:confused:

Umm you seem a little confused with the terminology.

All zoom lenses have variable focal lengths. If they dont they are called primes. The main classes of the focal length range are wide (28<) standard (28-70) and tele (70>).

Wide angles tend to give you more than your eyes naturally see and most wide zooms tend to have distortions (straight lines Dont stay straight). Some wide primes are well corrected for these distortions and you wont get the 'fish eye' effect which some wide lenses actually emphasise. Good for trying to capture overall moods of events or nature scapes.

Standard lenses provide a more familiar FOV, do not have much distortion issues (depends on the lens) and are the most common. Used in almost every thing from portriats to events to architecture.

Tele lenses compress the background and tend to give less DOF leading to more background blur. Useful for subject isolation. Generally used for portraits, snapping candid expressions of individuals and wildlife.

All these are just guidelines and its up to you how you want to use the lens to capture what you want. It is possible to use wide lenses for portraits by making the distortion work for you. Similarly you can use tele lenses for landscape shots despite the fact they compress the depth a little.

All zoom lenses have variable focal lengths. If they dont they are called primes. The main classes of the focal length range are wide (28<) standard (28-70) and tele (70>).

Wide angles tend to give you more than your eyes naturally see and most wide zooms tend to have distortions (straight lines Dont stay straight). Some wide primes are well corrected for these distortions and you wont get the 'fish eye' effect which some wide lenses actually emphasise. Good for trying to capture overall moods of events or nature scapes.

Standard lenses provide a more familiar FOV, do not have much distortion issues (depends on the lens) and are the most common. Used in almost every thing from portriats to events to architecture.

Tele lenses compress the background and tend to give less DOF leading to more background blur. Useful for subject isolation. Generally used for portraits, snapping candid expressions of individuals and wildlife.

All these are just guidelines and its up to you how you want to use the lens to capture what you want. It is possible to use wide lenses for portraits by making the distortion work for you. Similarly you can use tele lenses for landscape shots despite the fact they compress the depth a little.

ey? thank you! thank you! i will do some more research on my own, now that i know that they really mean!:D

:D How do you maximise the potential for zoom lens!

How and where and which situations can you use it in!

just be creative. experiment with your lenses and get a feel for the different perspectives and feel afforded by zooms of differing focal lengths.

e.g.
wide angle zooms have been used successfully for portraits, just as telephoto zooms can produce stunning landscapes.

don't feel pigeonholed by the the stereotypical uses of lenses, then you would have maximised the potential for your zoom lens(es)!

just be creative. experiment with your lenses and get a feel for the different perspectives and feel afforded by zooms of differing focal lengths.

e.g.
wide angle zooms have been used successfully for portraits, just as telephoto zooms can produce stunning landscapes.

don't feel pigeonholed by the the stereotypical uses of lenses, then you would have maximised the potential for your zoom lens(es)!

Can i paraphrase your quote into:

"dare to be different"
"think outside the bos"

:bsmilie:

Can i paraphrase your quote into:

"dare to be different"
"think outside the box"

:bsmilie:

u said it much better than i. ;)

how does macro compare to prime lens?

How does macro lens function as compare to prime lens?

Try the Sigma 17-70 macro lens which has it all :)

It is wide: 17mm (27~29mm equivelent on 35mm film cam)
It is tele: 70mm (105~110 equuivelent)
It is macro: 1:2.3 (not 1:1, but quite good for a wide zoom lens).

Good luck :)

Very good and concise summary :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.