Zoom Lens for Travel photography/videography?

akemi185

Jan 25, 2008
I'll mostly be using a 60d for travel photography and video-graphy, short films, portraits.
I think the kit lenses are pretty crappy so what is a good zoom lens to start with? Budget: less than a $1000
I also intend to purchase the 50mm f1.4 lens. bokeh ftw.

Thanks!

If you really want an all-in-one type of travel lens that's got good IQ…consider the Tamron 18-270 pzd…i tested it and it's REALLY good and so small and light and perfect for traveling…I'm going to get one myself…for my wife…

Canon 10-22, or Tamron 17-50 VC (given your budget).

thanks. i'll check them out. if im already gonna get the 50mm 1.4 wouldn't the 17-50 make the 50mm redundant?

If you really want an all-in-one type of travel lens that's got good IQ…consider the Tamron 18-270 pzd…i tested it and it's REALLY good and so small and light and perfect for traveling…I'm going to get one myself…for my wife…

Ok thank you! Gonna try the lens out as well. see what works for me best. are you only going to bring the 18-270 lens when you travel (if you purchase it)?

thanks. i'll check them out. if im already gonna get the 50mm 1.4 wouldn't the 17-50 make the 50mm redundant?

According this logic the Tamron 18-270 would make many many lenses redundant. But still they exists and are asked for. Your 50mm is a prime lens, the Tamron is a zoom lens. Both have their purposes. But finally, it's your style and your requirements that have to come in here. Some people work with primes, others prefer zoom lenses.
And your initial assumption about the kit lens is already questionable. Have you tried the kit lens? Or are you just following some comments of other people who think that only the best equipment possible can give you great images? Costly misapprehension.

The difference of the largest aperture size alone makes a big diff in decision making. I am one, however, who would never consider an all in one zoom. Minimum 3 lens if I go traveling. UWA, street F/2.8 & telephoto lens.

I second Cowseye's choice.

If I were to travel light (1 lens set-up), I'd go with either the UWA or street /2.8 option.

I think it boils down to preferences. Some people will like taking 18-270mm for travel as a 1 lens set up, some don't. I find the convenience a very good setup. But if you are picky on image quality and feels that's not a good lens, then of course you won't bring a all-in-1 type of zoom lens.

Ultimately, you have to make your own choice. I like to travel light and have no issues with such zoom lens picture quality, but that's me!

canon 15 85
sigma 17 70

do u like UWA effect?
if yes...u can go to sigma combo 10 20 + 17 70

just give u an idea....