Zoom lens for d700

bethpapa74

Jan 28, 2011
guys,
my kids will be having their sports days very soon ...
can you recommend me a good VR zoom??

I am looking to rent it for that one day shoot... (spend too much recently liao).

Is the additional MBD-10 battery grip important??
it is suppose to fuel up the fps to 8 ... but is it important?

looking forward to your advise. thanks.

You can rent 70-200mm f2.8. It is a very lens for sports.

I am considering
1) 70-200 f2.8
2) 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

Its bright day light ... do i need f2.8? ... but VR is vital right?

Bright daylight no need f2.8. But if you want to isolate your subject more, that is when wide aperture lenses like 70-200 f2.8 comes into play.

There are alternatives if you don't want to spend that much.

Usually for sports you want to freeze action, if the lens come with VR is a bonus for low shutter shots.

The battery grip does increase FPS if you use AA batteries or ENEL4a.
Increase FPS important? You got to ask what you will be shooting... if for sports... maybe

The battery grip does help with the counter weight.. BUT it also increases the overall weight and could be a handful if you are going to shoot for hours.
If you have the grip, bring it.. if not, there is no need to rent it.

I love my 70-200 F2.8 VRII. Sharp and lens compression give a different perspective on composition.

AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f2.8G ED VR II :thumbsup:

I think renting would be a better option than buying. Just don't get too poisoned eventually and buy the actual items :D

Agreed. Unless you use the lens often enough to justify the purchase/investment as they are not cheap. Else, renting one would be a better option.

Battery grip does more than just counter the weight of a heavier lens.. it allows more comfortable position of your right arm when you decide to shoot in Portrait orientation for lengthy period of time, as there is also a shutter button at the base and front / rear scrolls.

For D700, yes it boost up the frame rate to 8 fps - crucial when you are trying to capture the exact right moment (when they are in mid air, etc). Timing shots helps, but a gamble as the event won't repeat it JUST for you.

Last edited: