zippo to clean DSLR body + lenses

It will melt the rubber, probably etch the coating...

Is there something about the well-known, talked-about-everywhere, common-sense isopropyl alcohol that you are against?

You could also read the dozens of "lens cleaning" threads too...

baggiolee said:
will it destroy the viewfinder glass etc?

I won't let that thing anywhere near my camera if I were you.

Do you remove splashes of dirt from a car using a sledgehammer?

Why zippo?

Rashkae said:
Because he's hardcore and can afford to throw away lenses. :)

Lol... hope TS hasn't attempted the feat yet :)

trd2970 said:
Lol... hope TS hasn't attempted the feat yet :)

It's ok. Someone had to try our first and tell the rest of us what happened. If not, how to learn?

Tell us if you have been successful in cleaning your lenses

A piece of clean cloth with some dihydrogen oxide does marvels for cam and lens bodies; not on glass

lighter fluid is perfectly safe and harmless to your lens , glass, viewfinder baggiolee

can use for sensor and pentaprism mirror cleaning too
NOT !

Zippo refers to the lighter. If you're talking about lighter fluid, I've read of people using it, but only for specific purposes — usually as a degreaser — not for general cleaning.

Example: Removing dried-up grease in an old lens
Justin Low » Repair: Leica Summitar

Most hand phone accessories shop uses lighter fluid to clean hand phone screens before fixing the screen protector.

Obelix said:
Most hand phone accessories shop uses lighter fluid to clean hand phone screens before fixing the screen protector.

Nope, they just use a microfibre cloth, that's all. Never saw a shop use lighter fluid.

Nope, they just use a microfibre cloth, that's all. Never saw a shop use lighter fluid.

I have. At Singtel shop somemore.

Zippo is good for cleaning metal parts from grease.
I use it to clean the lens mount, to clean aperture blades of lenses with oil leak, removing old grease from mechanical parts,etc... :)

Zippo is good for cleaning metal parts from grease.
I use it to clean the lens mount, to clean aperture blades of lenses with oil leak, removing old grease from mechanical parts,etc... :)

and one more thing, Zippo is great for removing those sticky gooyee residue from Gaffer tapes.