ZF 35mm f2 or AIS 35mm f1.4

ZF 35mm or AIS 35mm?

Results are only viewable after voting.

qwerty628

Jan 3, 2010
Just curious. Which one would you guys pick? ZF 35mm or AIS 35mm f1.4

Just curious. Which one would you guys pick? ZF 35mm or AIS 35mm f1.4
For what is worth, I have not tested the ZF 35mm but I have tested the 35mm f/1.4 AIS and have found it wanting, in accordance with the pitfalls described by Bjorn {see: http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html}.

Another lens you may want to consider (cheaper measured in kg/$!!! - especially if you don't mind saving some money) is the Nikon 35mm f/2; I am using the AI version and I am very happy with it though a more knowledgeable person informed me that the AIS version is even better... oh well..

-- marios

Having used the nikkor 35mm f1.4 Ais for a few years. ( before i sold it off when i went digital, nikon only had the 1.5x DX sensor so became an odd focal length). Its a heavy lens. wide-open there is obvious vignetting, which goes away from f2 onwards. It has very high resolving power at f8-f11.

Presently using the under rated Nikkor-O 35mm f2 Ai-d!. It is a gem! Small cheap solidly built and sharp at f2! I bought it on Bjorn Rorslett's review. Indeed it has pleasing BOKEH!

No........kena poison alr. Haha. Was this taken on dx or fx?

Having used the nikkor 35mm f1.4 Ais for a few years. ( before i sold it off when i went digital, nikon only had the 1.5x DX sensor so became an odd focal length). Its a heavy lens. wide-open there is obvious vignetting, which goes away from f2 onwards. It has very high resolving power at f8-f11.

Presently using the under rated Nikkor-O 35mm f2 Ai-d!. It is a gem! Small cheap solidly built and sharp at f2! I bought it on Bjorn Rorslett's review. Indeed it has pleasing BOKEH!

Ai-d...a bit hard to find leh. Haha

For what is worth, I have not tested the ZF 35mm but I have tested the 35mm f/1.4 AIS and have found it wanting, in accordance with the pitfalls described by Bjorn {see: http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html}.

Another lens you may want to consider (cheaper measured in kg/$!!! - especially if you don't mind saving some money) is the Nikon 35mm f/2; I am using the AI version and I am very happy with it though a more knowledgeable person informed me that the AIS version is even better... oh well..

-- marios

The ai and ais versions are using different optical formula from the af versions right? Also wondering how much wld the ais cost...

i'd pick the zeiss..
had the 35 1.4 ais with my d700 for a while
very nice lens with the shallow rendition but if going purely by optical quality (sharpness, microcontrast) the zeiss is better.
Unless you like the look from the Nikkor.

The ai and ais versions are using different optical formula from the af versions right? Also wondering how much wld the ais cost...

The (AI and AIS) and AF all have different formulas (I have not checked the differences for AI ... as for the costs.. I used to track the prices of Nikon stuff.. it has been a while, but I managed to get mine reasonably cheap $300 or thereabouts (i think...)...

have a check here too: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/35mmnikkor/index.htm

-- marios

+1 on the Ai'd 35mm f2. Using the scalloped barrel version; the lens is solid and smooth :thumbsup:

The (AI and AIS) and AF all have different formulas (I have not checked the differences for AI ... as for the costs.. I used to track the prices of Nikon stuff.. it has been a while, but I managed to get mine reasonably cheap $300 or thereabouts (i think...)...

have a check here too: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/35mmnikkor/index.htm

-- marios

Cool cool! thx! :D

Oh yea, anyone have a rough gauge on how much the ZF 35mm would cost?:dunno:

Yea - D90

got mine 700 2nd hand from Shop
Probably cheaper in the forums here

thats quite ok

saw a piece going in b&s for 900 :sweat: