[ZerocoolAstra] - makan + food photography outing, 15 June (tues) - Show ur pics here

Numnumball

Mar 6, 2009
Central
Hi Folks,

On behalf of bro ZAC, started a thread here as he had suggested. Thanks to u Bro for organizing~!! :)

Totally noob in Food Photography.. Attempting some shots after 2 hrs of crash course on Food Photography last night through incessant web surfing.. :sweatsm:

Great Outing, Great Get Together, Great food, Great hospitality~! (P.s. would love to hear more of DD123 bro "story telling & sharing of his wonderful life experiences" again :bsmilie:).

GG on hibernate mode soon, after watching a less than entertaining 2nd half Ivory Coast vs Portugal game.. Batteries level dipping.. doozing off soon.. just one pic for today and will proceed and post with the rest tml..

Equipment used:

- D700 with 105VRf2.8 on tripod
- 1 X SB900 with softbox on light stand right filled
- 1 X SB600 on tripod with Gary Fong diffuser backfilled (credits to DD123)
- 1 X SB-R200 diffused left filled.
- Manjong paper (credits to Coolthought)

1. The 1st dish of the evening - Fish Head Curry

4703067757_ae9bf08d21_b.jpg

All CnC are most welcome.

And pls share your pics as well~!!!

Last edited:
Actually i am noobies for food photography. Here what i think.

Maybe you should wipe off the gravy on the edge of the claypot.

The dish look very tasty to me. Make me feel hungry.;p

Hi Folks,

On behalf of bro ZAC, started a thread here as he had suggested. Thanks to u Bro for organizing~!! :)

Totally noob in Food Photography.. Attempting some shots after 2 hrs of crash course on Food Photography last night through incessant web surfing.. :sweatsm:

Great Outing, Great Get Together, Great food, Great hospitality~! (P.s. would love to hear more of DD123 bro "story telling & sharing of his wonderful life experiences" again :bsmilie:).

GG on hibernate mode soon, after watching a less than entertaining 2nd half Ivory Coast vs Portugal game.. Batteries level dipping.. doozing off soon.. just one pic for today and will proceed and post with the rest tml..

Equipment used:

- D700 with 105VRf2.8 on tripod
- 1 X SB900 with softbox on light stand right filled
- 1 X SB600 on tripod with Gary Fong diffuser backfilled (credits to DD123)
- 1 X SB-R200 diffused left filled.
- Manjong paper (credits to Coolthought)

Ooops. Didnt see this thread and went to post my own. >< Anw heres my contribution to the thread. Pai Gu Wang(pork ribs) from Hong Kong Strt @ Marine Parade! Im still a newbie, so pardon me if my shot isnt nice. Comments are welcome as TS said! :) Btw hope TS dont mind me posting, altho i didnt attend the outing. Was hoping for all newbies in food photography to learn. ><

DSC_0094_046.jpg

hahahaha the dishes were coming fast n furious :D
very kan chiong...!

Those who came for the outing were not food photography pros, so I hope it was a chance to try it out! :)

Numnumball said:

Looks good to my noob eyes bro!
Credits must go to DD123 for his arrangement skills.

Still got a few hotspots but I was thinking: If totally none, it also wouldn't look 'glistening'... ~shrug~ Probably the importance is to have the shiny bits appear at the 'right' spots? hahahaha ok I'm blabbering...

Ooops. Didnt see this thread and went to post my own. >< Anw heres my contribution to the thread. Pai Gu Wang(pork ribs) from Hong Kong Strt @ Marine Parade! Im still a newbie, so pardon me if my shot isnt nice. Comments are welcome as TS said! :) Btw hope TS dont mind me posting, altho i didnt attend the outing. Was hoping for all newbies in food photography to learn. ><

DSC_0094_046.jpg

Looks very yummy!
Actually this thread was intended for photos from last night, but... no need to be so exclusive ya? :)
My only nitpick is that the front piece of meat caught the 'catchlight' from your external flash.

hahahaha the dishes were coming fast n furious :D
very kan chiong...!

Those who came for the outing were not food photography pros, so I hope it was a chance to try it out! :)

Wanted to join in the fun yesterday but working until 1am this night.

Hope all of you had fun.? Hope i can join in the next one.

DSC_0094_046.jpg

Arh~! Never get to shoot this.. Ohh..and eat this also.. :( ohh... It's nt from yest outing.. Haa.. Btw it looks yummy.. :)

Last edited:

Yup Agreed on the gravy at the edge, Oui Assistant. never do ur work~!! haha.. *jokin jokin*

Presentable is crucial :)

More more more.. :)

2. Another - full view of Fish Head Curry

4704417427_92a7100dec_b.jpg

3 - Claypot fishead

4705053586_624a22e1ae_b.jpg

Last edited:
7. Yam Seafood or sth :sweatsm:

4704436837_1dc6965074_b.jpg

8. Hot Plate Tofu

4705081462_f37b75630e_b.jpg

Thats all for me~ As mentioned to Bro ZCA, i only managed to take 7 dishes with the last 4 in a rush.. *Actually i understand where ZCA coming from , Food getting cold mah and worried we guys hungry also*

I have some more shots of each dishes from different angle, will post if i have the time..
Bros, do comment on the WB, exposure, presentation and such..

I took JPEG + RAW.. So anything can be easily corrected. Cheers

Thanks for organizing the outing. Met a few new friends and had good time sharing life experiences (sorry cant really remember all the names and nick, paisei :embrass:)

Credits to those who contributed the flashes (angdaonee, hlyeoh), manjong paper and effort for holding chopsticks :)

Didnt get the whole series, here are some of the shots. Comments are welcome.

Thanks.

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

I noticed how the color of the paper background affects the WB of the shoot.

NNB, sorry bro, I discovered I am better at eating, not food arranging. I tried my best though :bsmilie: Also bro, #3 is claypot fishhead. I only realized it after eating it. Yes, the fishhead is totally submerged. But we were meant to eat the dishes. If really want to do a shoot proper, must do it so it looks good only, but not taste good (very little gravy only). Bro, I hope you got full plate views versions of the pics. I think bro ZCA will need those...

ZCA, I think some glistening is good. What we don't want is major chunks of hotspots. I think NNB did good.

ahkok, I really liked your idea of chopsticks holding the food. Swee.

Last edited:
As bro ZCA mentioned, we will be keeping people shots to a minimum. So to record the outing, I am just going to post 2 shots. To give viewers an idea of the setup as well as some of the people and equipment involved.

#DD-01 - The commotion, and how we terrorized the neighbors in the kopitiam.
4704582021_c1f21ec249_o.jpg

#DD-02 - Bro Numnumball attacking the food. (replaced with PPed version to reduce bro's eyebags.)
4705224636_7f8a99342f_b.jpg

Last edited: