M8.2 + 35mm Cron ASPH used on bright day

4013433303_199217cf77_o.jpg

4013448651_3a7f934021_o.jpg

4013439241_864660f60a_o.jpg

Used with back lighting shot wide open
4014191186_bc505e50ee_o.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Cannot comment about Leica optical quality as I do not own or use any Leica before (pocket not deep enough to try lah, not that I dun want to), but no doubt Leica has very good build quality. But then for that price, I believe any other brands can also build to that quality.

Last edited:
I haven't digitized my negs for many years since I switched to darkroom printing and traditional silver halide film. Here is one, many years ago (when my second daughter is still short), shot on XP2, 35 cron ASPH wide open:
3251904-md.jpg

Another one with a badly developed HP5+ (still new in film developing then):
3519527-md.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot by the way!

I've never attempted to shoot at pubs... this shot is just so lovely...

Most of the time after a few pops... I have double vision most of the time, don't think I can ever focus properly...

Haven't been to one for many many many years... :)

Thanks mate :) The trick is to shoot before the drinks which I always do. At the end of the session, I tend to misplace my cameras hehehe...

Cron35F2 asph
a gem
all shot wide open

Nice shots!

M8.2 + 35mm Cron ASPH used on bright day
Used with back lighting shot wide open
:)

Unsurprisingly good colours on a digital sensor...

Though new perfect and no compromise wide open. It is seriously too sharp for me :( But I might get the LTM version to play on my barnack soon.

Though new perfect and no compromise wide open. It is seriously too sharp for me :( But I might get the LTM version to play on my barnack soon.

Bro, I saw you sold the cron ASPH, if you want the "old mystique look" and not digital "silky smooth sharpness", try shoot with high speed (ISO 1600/3200) grainy film and you can still achieve the look you want from ASPH lenses. :)

Hi,

Leica or Zeiss or Voigtlander, all produce good lenses to suit different users need.

Just buy the one within your budget that makes you feel good using it. :)

Thanks mate :) The trick is to shoot before the drinks which I always do. At the end of the session, I tend to misplace my cameras hehehe...

Nice shots!

Unsurprisingly good colours on a digital sensor...

Thanks bro
will be cool to photograph Tokyo together
or do a flickr Tokyo meet
:bsmilie:

The Leica Summarit 35mm is very very sharp and distortion free.

Zeiss states that the ZM lenses provide even illumination and flatness of field and close focus performance of a higher level than the competition (read Leica). They also have been trimmed the design to provide a harmonious spread of unsharpness over the depth of field when recording subjects with extended depth. These characteristics are design choices, partly related to the philosophy of the extended design. The use of more lens elements and a mainly symmetrical construction allow for a specific quality of imagery. The smaller front lens diameter might help the reduction of flare and reflections, but the absence of aspherics restricts the performance at maximum aperture.
We may compare this approach to the current Leica M designs, where the emphasis is on maximum performance at the wider apertures, the employment of aspherics and special glass types to improve the overall performance. Leica also tries to reduce the number of lens elements to the absolute minimum that is required to do the job. It is clear that the Zeiss and Leica designs share much common ground, but differ in their final choices to provide a specific quality profile that they assume will suit the working photographer best. It will be most revealing to study the quality differences that can be seen in pictures made with both lens systems, based on design approaches with subtle differences in flavour and philosophy.
THE OPTICAL PERFORMANCE
The Zeiss Biogon-T 2/35 ZM is a nine-element lens in six groups. At full aperture there is a fair amount of coma, but hardly any curvature of field. The coma does reduce the overall contrast quite visibly. At f/4 coma is gone completely and the lens from there is an outstanding performer. Compared to the Summicron-M 2/35 ASPH the ZM has better curvature of field, but less contrast and crisp definition wide open. Performance on axis is equal between both lenses. This Biogon is a bit overstretched as a high-speed design. The design itself does not support high-speed lenses and it would have been better if the marketing people of Zeiss had restricted themselves to an aperture of 2.8.
THE PRACTICAL PERFORMANCE
Wide open the lens records fine detail with smooth delineation of subject outlines form centre to corner. There is hardly any vignetting and stray light is well suppressed. Background unsharpness washes away all detail and holds the major subject outlines, but these are quite blurred. Stopping down to smaller apertures you get outstandingly good imagery with very crisp images and excellent definition of small detail that holds even in specular highlights, giving the images a powerful expression.
Colors are neutral and hold subtle hues quite well.
At closer distances the lens records fine detail with good contrast, but more with finesse than with crispness.
In contre-jour lighting, the Biogon 35 retains the definition of detail in the shadow areas and suppresses halo-ing around highlights very well. Only wide open the edges of tree branches become grey-ish.

Last edited:
Bro, I saw you sold the cron ASPH, if you want the "old mystique look" and not digital "silky smooth sharpness", try shoot with high speed (ISO 1600/3200) grainy film and you can still achieve the look you want from ASPH lenses. :)
I will personally opt for the summarit 35 for the old vintage look ;) but what beats a summitar? hehehe

No UV/IR filter? :confused:
**** you are right. I was thinking of that too.

Zeiss states that the ZM lenses ....
Finally, a more constructive answer to the thread. biogon is a better lens no doubt but the size! (though not alot)

Thanks bro
will be cool to photograph Tokyo together
or do a flickr Tokyo meet
:bsmilie:
ya.. sound slike fun. we should. and can we only invite the real shooters? lol

I will personally opt for the summarit 35 for the old vintage look ;) but what beats a summitar? hehehe

ya.. sound slike fun. we should. and can we only invite the real shooters? lol

i know exactly what you mean..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.