Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus Distagon T* Lens - for Nikon F Mount

2 big flaws not mentioned: cost and manual focus only.

from : http://www.lenstip.com/390.11-Lens_review-Carl_Zeiss_Otus_55_mm_f_1.4_ZE_ZF.2_Summary.html

Pros:
solid, huge and stylish casing,
sensational image quality in the frame centre,
excellent image quality on the edge of the APS-C/DX sensor,
good image quality on the edge of full frame,
good correction of chromatic aberration,
brilliant correction of spherical aberration,
imperceptible distortion,
moderate vignetting on the APS-C/DX sensor,
off-focus images very pleasant to the eye,
very good work against bright light.

Cons:
huge vignetting at the maximum relative aperture on full frame.

As you see the Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 had just one single flaw, the huge vignetting. On the one hand I don’t know any 1.4/50 class lens which wouldn’t feature a high vignetting level on full frame.

:eek:

2 big flaws not mentioned: cost and manual focus only.

If you don't have the patience to use this lens, don't bother. Not for the run and gun.

If you don't have the patience to use this lens, don't bother. Not for the run and gun.

know what you are talking before you shoot, some of us here shoot for events, weddings etc. so it's an important factor to consider.

know what you are talking before you shoot, some of us here shoot for events, weddings etc. so it's an important factor to consider.
Yeah but what has it to do with this lens? Of course this is a manual focus lens by design and autofocus isn't a missing feature.

Last edited:
This lens was never meant for such purposes, unless you shoot with the old Nikon film cameras. Ain't it redundant to even mention the lack of AF?

Do you even need this much sharpness? This lens after all was meant for people use medium format, technical cameras etc. who need to print big. Not for people who don't use tripod much.

Last edited:
Listed at US$4k, asking price locally is nearly $6.2k. Time to order from overseas even though stocks are already in.

The good news is that Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 Otus Distagon T* Lens coming soon. I cannot imagine how much the price is.

Ha ha, I remembered Shriro used to do Nikon and Nikon was more expensive then. Should be Shriro. Shiro different company.http://www.shirocorp.com/index.php/our-products2.html
Luckily Nikon has taken back it's agency and do by its own, that's why we can have affordable PnS & Dslr these few years and some good promotions too(freebies etc...).

How a flaw...... was NEVER made to be auto focus, nor advertised as such.... So thats not a flaw at all.... price.... well its sharpest lens on market for a DSLR.... GREAT VALUE to me !!!

The price isn't a flaw either coz they didn't design nor advertised it as a cheaper lens.

How a flaw...... was NEVER made to be auto focus, nor advertised as such.... So thats not a flaw at all.... price.... well its sharpest lens on market for a DSLR.... GREAT VALUE to me !!!

The price isn't a flaw either coz they didn't design nor advertised it as a cheaper lens.

Totally agree !

Its a beast of a lens !!! On my list for late 2014.

The good news is that Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 Otus Distagon T* Lens coming soon. I cannot imagine how much the price is.

Goodie.... but the Nikon G version is already very very good.

Anybody has purchased Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus Distagon T* Lens ?
The best 50 - 55m lens!