Yunnan

Status
Not open for further replies.

khhome06

Oct 5, 2007
Hi ,

I'm going to Yunnan, 8 day guided tour on 27/10, kunming, dali, lijiang and zhongdian. Anyone here can advise or share info of that place?

Thank!

Hi,
Since u r on guided tour and itinerary is fixed, what else do u want to know?

If have time at night in Lijiang, make your own way to the Lijiang ancient city by cab. Night scenery is nice, and different from day scenery, bring a tripod.

Dali ancient city night scenery also very nice, bring a tripod. If your trip does not include Dali Three pagodas, take a 2mins taxi ride to the pagoda during the day.

In Kunming, I did lots of shopping at Carrefour, hehe. And can buy the famous Yunnan ham.

Some pics here:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=318591

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=318907

If you are going to the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain at Lijiang, try to make the time to take in the Zhang Yimou's Impression Lijiang show that's staged live outdoor at the foot of the Snow Mountain. Words just fail to describe how grand and magnificent an outdoor stage performance can be with this show.

Hi,
Since u r on guided tour and itinerary is fixed, what else do u want to know?

If have time at night in Lijiang, make your own way to the Lijiang ancient city by cab. Night scenery is nice, and different from day scenery, bring a tripod.

Dali ancient city night scenery also very nice, bring a tripod. If your trip does not include Dali Three pagodas, take a 2mins taxi ride to the pagoda during the day.

In Kunming, I did lots of shopping at Carrefour, hehe. And can buy the famous Yunnan ham.

Some pics here:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=318591

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=318907

:bsmilie: Thank for your response very useful and nice pictures.

First of all, so sorry for giving you all so few detail to make any useful comments.

Although i'm joining guided tour and the itinerary is fixed, but i'm the type of person that love f&e yet afraid of the trouble facing it, that's why 'm alway the in between :bsmilie:
or u can call it half-guided.

I like the convenience where hotel, flight and food are all arranged nicely for me, but something, if the group go too much shopping, or visit too many medicine or jewelry shop, i'll detached myself from the group and head for other interesting places before joining them again.

---

Hi tomecat,

u sound like Impression Lijiang show is a "must go"; too bad my itinerary any include, but like i say, i can and will detached myself from the group, see the show before joing the rest again. :)

if possible, i do like to post my itinerary later, those who went before maybe can help me see which places in the itinerary can be skip and which places must be visit even if not in the itinerary. Thank! :)

for example, some friends told me that shude lake in zhongdian is a big disappointment, should avoid at all cost.

Hi tomecat,

u sound like Impression Lijiang show is a "must go"; too bad my itinerary any include, but like i say, i can and will detached myself from the group, see the show before joing the rest again. :)
Try to go if you like such shows, can find the time and like to take photos.
Very good photo opportunities....
Some pics in my album here:
http://www.pbase.com/pschia/impression_lijiang

very impression photos, thank!
I look at other yunnan photos of yours, it look like not bad leh, Shudu lake.

mind telling me your comment, someone told me not nice and post some photo to advised me dont wast my time on these lake

here's the link.

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2001440213241132844

btw, can tell which month you go? :)

Remember to bring along some medicine for high-altitude sickness. It can be quite bad when you are in Zhongdian (Shangri-la). And also lower your expectation of Shangri-la, there won't be even any grass growing when you visit it in winter.

You can check out some of my photos from my trip there last Christmas.
http://fearstar.blogspot.com/search/label/Yunnan

Remember to bring along some medicine for high-altitude sickness. It can be quite bad when you are in Zhongdian (Shangri-la). And also lower your expectation of Shangri-la, there won't be even any grass growing when you visit it in winter.

You can check out some of my photos from my trip there last Christmas.
http://fearstar.blogspot.com/search/label/Yunnan

Hi barracuda, thank for your response.

i notice ppls comment on Zhongdian is usually extreme end, either very good or very bad. :bsmilie:

btw, care are to recommed some medicine for high-altitude sickness :)

very impression photos, thank!
I look at other yunnan photos of yours, it look like not bad leh, Shudu lake.

mind telling me your comment, someone told me not nice and post some photo to advised me dont wast my time on these lake

here's the link.

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2001440213241132844

btw, can tell which month you go? :)
I was there last Oct.
Shudu & Pitahai Lakes at Pudacuo Nature Reserve are just so-so only because of the effort involved. The place is very cold and the altitude is very high so you will run out of breath easily with the slightest of exertion... and you have to walk for a few hours around the lakes. But because it's autumn, you would get to see very colourful foliage at some of the locations. If you like that, then that's good. :)
Then again, there are not many places to sightsee at Shangrila if you do not go to the Pudacuo Nature Reserve with the tour group. :dunno:

i notice ppls comment on Zhongdian is usually extreme end, either very good or very bad. :bsmilie:

In China, they believe in the use of extracts from the herb Rhodiola rosea or 紅 景 天 as an aid to adapting to high altitudes. This is usually sold in such places to tourists to combat altitude sickness but you actually have to start taking it for some time for it to be really effective. Maybe you can start taking it while you are still here in Singapore. You can buy the herbal extract in capsule form from health food stores like GNC.
Then again, some people are extra sensitive to high altitudes and they would really, really suffer very badly... migraine, nausea, etc. For these people, even 紅 景 天 would not help. :(

I was there last Oct.
Shudu & Pitahai Lakes at Pudacuo Nature Reserve are just so-so only because of the effort involved. The place is very cold and the altitude is very high so you will run out of breath easily with the slightest of exertion... and you have to walk for a few hours around the lakes. But because it's autumn, you would get to see very colourful foliage at some of the locations. If you like that, then that's good. :)
Then again, there are not many places to sightsee at Shangrila if you do not go to the Pudacuo Nature Reserve with the tour group. :dunno:

Hi tomcat, thank for your comment, i hope i'm not too late and run into winter, where there won't be even any grass growing :bsmilie:

In China, they believe in the use of extracts from the herb Rhodiola rosea or 紅 景 天 as an aid to adapting to high altitudes. This is usually sold in such places to tourists to combat altitude sickness but you actually have to start taking it for some time for it to be really effective. Maybe you can start taking it while you are still here in Singapore. You can buy the herbal extract in capsule form from health food stores like GNC.
Then again, some people are extra sensitive to high altitudes and they would really, really suffer very badly... migraine, nausea, etc. For these people, even 紅 景 天 would not help. :(

Hi tomcat thank, i think i will start taking this 紅 景 天 you recommeded. :)

You're right, not everyone can avoid altitudes sickness even with the best medicine on earth. Actually before i sigup, i didnt know (really) yunnan can cause altitudes sickness; in fact i though only tibet will get it, how sad.

Err, I didn't bring any high-altitude sickness medicine myself ;p Instead I brought along chocolates, drank enough water, rest well, pace myself. I also bought a bottle of oxygen over there, but didn't really use it. My symdromes were quite mild although I had a flu at the time. Other people in the group were quite bad. Some of them had such bad headache that they couldn't sleep for the whole night in Zhongdian.

If you happen to pay a visit to the tibetans, drink their rice wine (青稞酒)and their tea (稣油茶),both help a lot in alleviating the high-altitude symdromes.

Zhongdian in fact has more to offer, but your tour may not bring you there. And there is some tension between the tibetans & ethnic chinese there.

Err, I didn't bring any high-altitude sickness medicine myself ;p Instead I brought along chocolates, drank enough water, rest well, pace myself. I also bought a bottle of oxygen over there, but didn't really use it. My symdromes were quite mild although I had a flu at the time. Other people in the group were quite bad. Some of them had such bad headache that they couldn't sleep for the whole night in Zhongdian.

If you happen to pay a visit to the tibetans, drink their rice wine (青稞酒)and their tea (稣油茶),both help a lot in alleviating the high-altitude symdromes.

Zhongdian in fact has more to offer, but your tour may not bring you there. And there is some tension between the tibetans & ethnic chinese there.

Hi barracuda, thank for your comment.

Guess i will drink more rice wine and tea:bsmilie:.

btw you say Zhongdian has more to offer, one place i intend to visit is songzanlin, which my tour never included and still researching for other nice nearby sightsee. songzanlin is 4.5km away from the hotel i'm staying, so take a cab down should be fast.

The other place i considering is napa, round 7km away from my hotel. i'll be staying at zhongdian for two day, tour attraction only Pudacuo and tibet house visit, so should have some free time :)

Hi barracuda, thank for your comment.

Guess i will drink more rice wine and tea:bsmilie:.

btw you say Zhongdian has more to offer, one place i intend to visit is songzanlin, which my tour never included and still researching for other nice nearby sightsee. songzanlin is 4.5km away from the hotel i'm staying, so take a cab down should be fast.

The other place i considering is napa, round 7km away from my hotel. i'll be staying at zhongdian for two day, tour attraction only Pudacuo and tibet house visit, so should have some free time :)

I don't know how you count the two days. The bus journey is quite long. 4 hours one way from Lijiang to Zhongdian.

In Zhongdian, we visited 藏经堂,独克宗古城, 蓝月山谷 (including 石卡雪山). Those places are just so-so in my opinion. The really interesting place should be little potala, a famous tibetan monastry. However, our tibetan guide did not even mention it to us, and when asked, she avoided answering. Only when we were in Dali, then the Dali local guide told us that the lamas there had a dispute with the local government, now the monastry is closed to visitors.

I don't know how you count the two days. The bus journey is quite long. 4 hours one way from Lijiang to Zhongdian.

In Zhongdian, we visited 藏经堂,独克宗古城, 蓝月山谷 (including 石卡雪山). Those places are just so-so in my opinion. The really interesting place should be little potala, a famous tibetan monastry. However, our tibetan guide did not even mention it to us, and when asked, she avoided answering. Only when we were in Dali, then the Dali local guide told us that the lamas there had a dispute with the local government, now the monastry is closed to visitors.

Two full day, first day include journey from lijiang to zhongdian.
no wonder never include songzanlin, agency like chan brother, ctc, sa, hong thai all exclude totally, only cts include but when i question them again, they say "view" from far only. :bsmilie:

one reason i choose this package is becos its the only agency that provide two night saty at zhongdian, all other agencies one day only, the very next morning fly back to kunming liao.

one day need to include travel time, Pudacuo, 独克宗 and other places of interests is very rush de :nono: two day more relax, can spend more time in one destination. :)

Hi tomcat, can i ask you one question?
i look at your gallery in detail and find that your photos match very close to my itinerary, last time you join hong thai tour is it? :)

Hi tomcat, can i ask you one question?
i look at your gallery in detail and find that your photos match very close to my itinerary, last time you join hong thai tour is it? :)
Yes I did. Hong Thai's the only tour at the time that goes to Jade Dragon Snow Mountain so it was possible to catch the Impression Lijiang show quite easily. :)

Yes I did. Hong Thai's the only tour at the time that goes to Jade Dragon Snow Mountain so it was possible to catch the Impression Lijiang show quite easily. :)

Hi, tomcat, dont mind if i ask another question, since we both went almost the same time( u in mid oct, i in late oct), can i ask you about the weather, isit cold? need winter clothing?

Thank!

Status
Not open for further replies.