Yunnan Trip - View of Kawagebo (Mt. Meili)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedgehog

Nov 22, 2004
Singapore
www.dengz.com
I am planning a trip to Northwestern Yunnan in end May for about 14 to 16 days. Anyone interested to go? It will be together with X-Trekkers. The price is S$1,600 for the trip, not inclusive of air-ticket. If you are interested, please email me (ceramic@dengz.com) and I will send you the itinerary.

Basically the trip will involve visiting Lijiang, and Deqin. The main highlight is our visit to Deqin, we will go to 2 remote mountain villages (Yubeng and Yongzhi). Both are inaccessible by road, meaning we have to trek a few hours to get there. The views in the villages are rewarding, so is the trek into them. These villages are predominantly Tibetan. During the months of June till August, the rhododendrons are blooming, while there will be lots of wild fruits (eg. strawberries and black raspberries) to be pick. However be prepared for the rain as this is the wet season of the year in that locality. Chances of getting wet are high.

hedgehog said:
I am planning a trip to Northwestern Yunnan in end May for about 14 to 16 days. Anyone interested to go? It will be together with X-Trekkers. The price is S$1,600 for the trip, not inclusive of air-ticket. If you are interested, please email me (ceramic@dengz.com) and I will send you the itinerary..

Interested. I have sent you an email. Cheers!

152582004_ynn0065_copy.jpg

hedgehog said:
I am planning a trip to Northwestern Yunnan in end May for about 14 to 16 days. Anyone interested to go? It will be together with X-Trekkers. The price is S$1,600 for the trip, not inclusive of air-ticket. If you are interested, please email me (ceramic@dengz.com) and I will send you the itinerary.

Basically the trip will involve visiting Lijiang, and Deqin. The main highlight is our visit to Deqin, we will go to 2 remote mountain villages (Yubeng and Yongzhi). Both are inaccessible by road, meaning we have to trek a few hours to get there. The views in the villages are rewarding, so is the trek into them. These villages are predominantly Tibetan. During the months of June till August, the rhododendrons are blooming, while there will be lots of wild fruits (eg. strawberries and black raspberries) to be pick. However be prepared for the rain as this is the wet season of the year in that locality. Chances of getting wet are high.

Cool :D .... I will be going to Yunnan in End of Apr / Starting of May too :D.

Erm I got no idea why does it cost so much even exclude airfare.

Everything costs very little at Yunnan, such as food and accommondation. Helicopter mobilized? =)

Actually I don't decide the pricing of this package, X-Trekkers decide. They, of course have to take into account their overheads and profit margin.

GriGri, you are correct to say that it is cheap to stay and eat in Yunnan. However, there are other costs like local guide, horses for transportation, etc that are not so cheap anymore due to the rise of tourism. Besides that, I will be leading the group, meaning additional cost. :)

Here's another photo of wild rhododendrons in full bloom in June. This was taken along the way from Shangri-La to Deqin.

152582004_ynn0083_copy.jpg

Just wanted to talk a bit about the cost of this trip. Most may think that the cost stated is very high compared to most tour packages. However, one must consider that the group that we have catered this package for is only for a maximum of 8 people. This definitely make the tour package a more exclusive and small. It is the hope of the agency and myself to differentiate the travel experience for our tour participants. We are not catering for mass market tour packages because we want to give the maximum enjoyable travel experience for you. By limiting the maximum number of participants, you will have a higher chance of enjoying the personal attention of myself and the local tour guide. It also allows for less friction amongst the participants. A small group will definitely have less varied difference in opinions and wants.

You will be led by myself, who have experience in travelling to this region. My familiarity with the local people and the environment will make this trip a more enjoyable one. Furthermore, you will be paying for a local guide as well to bring us to more remote and scenic places around the villages.

Therefore, do not just judge by the initial cost alone, please also look at the overall package. :)

Hi hedgehog,

Just want to seek some clarifications ... although I m not on your tour ...

You have mentioned that the tour will be led by you (post #7) "meaning additional cost." And again in your last post (post #11) you mention again that "You will be led by myself, who have experience in travelling to this region."

Can you explain your role in this trip ... leading the trip. Will you be assisting in the role of a tour guide from SIN or will you be conducting lessons for the participants while on the tour? Because by mentioning additional cost because you are leading the trip ... sound like the 8 participants are paying for you to bring them there ... Am i correct to assume that?

Hope you can clarify these points .... and maybe that could justify the cost of the tour. I m not trying to be funny with this post ... I have looked thru your website and the photos there are fantastic ... If you were conducting lessons on the trip or providing specific critique for the participants on the trip, then the trip is definately worth every bit of it ....

RGDs

Hi Long Thai Bean,

Yes, the participants are paying for my services as a leader for the tour group. My role is mainly administrative, i.e. getting all the logistics of the tour to be worked out. At the same time, because of my photography background, I can also share my knowledge in photography with the participants. Besides that, I am very familiar with the destinations and will also be assisted by a local Tibetan tour guide. That is why the cost is high. Furthermore, the flexibility of the tour itinerary will allow leeway for anyway changes because the group is small.

So you are correct to assume that the participants are paying for me to get them there. :)

Long Thai Bean said:
Hi hedgehog,

Just want to seek some clarifications ... although I m not on your tour ...

You have mentioned that the tour will be led by you (post #7) "meaning additional cost." And again in your last post (post #11) you mention again that "You will be led by myself, who have experience in travelling to this region."

Can you explain your role in this trip ... leading the trip. Will you be assisting in the role of a tour guide from SIN or will you be conducting lessons for the participants while on the tour? Because by mentioning additional cost because you are leading the trip ... sound like the 8 participants are paying for you to bring them there ... Am i correct to assume that?

Hope you can clarify these points .... and maybe that could justify the cost of the tour. I m not trying to be funny with this post ... I have looked thru your website and the photos there are fantastic ... If you were conducting lessons on the trip or providing specific critique for the participants on the trip, then the trip is definately worth every bit of it ....

RGDs

Oh yar, I just want to add that this is not a photography trip per se. It is open to anyone who loves nature and the outdoors, and like to see Tibetan culture in a setting not as restrictive as Tibet itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.