Yummy Sandwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justintime

Apr 28, 2008
1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I would like feedback on composition.
Composed to Focused on the sandwich and intentionally blurring the muffin and coffee behind. parts of the sandwich was cut off in the bottom intentionally. Experimenting that there's no need to keep whole sandwich in the frame to highlight it as a subject.

Also like feedback on the colour saturation, have a personal preference for warmer/darker tones. Would like to have more opinions if the picture has a slight orange/yellow cast.

Can click on the image for a larger version.

EXIF :
1/60 secs
F/2.8
ISO 400

A mistake was the DOF was not large enough, would have preferred more of the sandwich is in focus. But have to stick with F/2.8 as not enough lighting and trying not to go up to iso 800.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Hope to reproduce a food photo that is striking and can actually make someone feel hungry :) Like the photos hanging on the walls of Mcdonald's starbucks etc :)

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Took this at Mc Cafe during a breakfast session with my wife. Btw, this sandwich is delicious :D

If you realise, most of the food photography on the McDonald's menu is colour corrected; yours, conversely, is not. The yellow cast is not exactly an appetising colour palette to have in an image.

Also, I like how the relevant objects the muffin and the coffee cup are in the background, but perhaps to make the composition a bit more balanced, they both can be on the top right corner, as your bottom left corner area is mostly in focus. Also, I'd prefer to see the inside of the cup, rather than cutting off below the mouth of the cup.

Among all others, bottom part of the pic being blurred doesnt work for me

I suggest more space. Is like those expensive restaurants where they use a big plate to put a tiny bit of food on so it looks better. Also, less yellow. It's more than a slight cast. I'm guessing your monitor isn't calibrated, so it probably looks a lot less yellow on yours.

If you want the muffin and cup in picture, may look better to keep them in focus. Am not sure what's at the top centre - an arm? If you shoot from a higher angle, you can cut out that part (or ask your wife to move). Alternatively, can focus on the sandwich and leave the rest of the background clean.

The table probably isn't the best background for this, but I guess it would be asking too much to expect you to bring a table cloth or something for this kind of casual shoot :bsmilie:

Thanks for all the C&C ! :)

Wow seems like quite a lot to learn and improve on. Definitely use flash the next time to get enough light to use a smaller aperture.

And fix the colours.

Composition is hard to learn, guess still have to shoot more !

Hi,
DOF is good, but the food is yellow.

I am not worried about too much in the pic... just that the yellow cast takes away my sense of yummy.

Cheers :)

hope you dun mind, but i did some quick editting of your photo on PS..

cropped a little bit from the top. i cant do anything to the missing sandwich at the bottom..

3289950697_1565dfd1f7.jpg

PP-ed the background bokeh to make the sandwich stand out more. i think i overdid it.. :bsmilie:

3289964765_a150e9d769.jpg

and PP-ed the colour temperature too. i think it looks a little bit more natural now..

if you object to this, PM me. wil take away the pic. =)

Last edited:
1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I would like feedback on composition.
Composed to Focused on the sandwich and intentionally blurring the muffin and coffee behind. parts of the sandwich was cut off in the bottom intentionally. Experimenting that there's no need to keep whole sandwich in the frame to highlight it as a subject.

Also like feedback on the colour saturation, have a personal preference for warmer/darker tones. Would like to have more opinions if the picture has a slight orange/yellow cast.

1) cluttered background. most food photography is simple. the focus is the food. you can eliminate this via angles, and you can always move your table things around. something cleaner is better rather than showing us what else is on the table, it messes up the picture.

2) not necessary to have entire piece of food , but here, i think presentation wise, not good to crop out parts of the sandwich.

3) making the food more yellow than it is , does not result in an appetising picture.

hope you dun mind, but i did some quick editting of your photo on PS..

cropped a little bit from the top. i cant do anything to the missing sandwich at the bottom..

3289950697_1565dfd1f7.jpg

PP-ed the background bokeh to make the sandwich stand out more. i think i overdid it.. :bsmilie:

if you object to this, PM me. wil take away the pic. =)

Don't mind at all ! Especially the the first pic ! Does look better with less yellow :thumbsup:

I better fix my colours.

Just curious how do you increase the Bokeh ?

Don't mind at all ! Especially the the first pic ! Does look better with less yellow :thumbsup:

I better fix my colours.

Just curious how do you increase the Bokeh ?

haha actually i think i made a mistake.. think i was too tired yesterday night. did colour correction twice.. thats why the second image looks a little desaturated.. :think: :think:

used a plugin in photoshop to do the bokeh. isolated the main subject, and planar bokeh-ed the rest. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.