Your views of our CS freelance models

Status
Not open for further replies.

david_goh

May 10, 2006
Bt Panjang
www.glorystudio.net
For the many who love model/portraiture shoots, did you notice the flooding of inexperience models in CS asking for paid shoots?

A number of them show lousy portfolios, many only have photos which doesn't even show if they are good posers or not. I do tfcd sometimes for newbies who want to try out modeling, and I do buy them a meal (not hawker food har) and/or compensate them transport fares.

And the reason why I don't pay them hourly is because they can't pose so well, and I still have to spend hours behind my desk smoothening their skin to enhance their looks, giving good efforts so they may receive great pictures.

Paying for newbie models who don't have proper portfolio just seem off to me. Can some of you kindly share with me how you look at this issue? Like how much you think we should be paying, or why we should be paying?

*Models, no offense; I just think we should keep a healthy view of how much models/photographers ought to be earning/paying* :)

hmm, i wouldnt consider myself "a model", but yeah. it's because i've lost touch, although i've child modelled a fair bit, i don't consider myself experienced in any way, thus looking for tfcds only ;p afraid i cannot meet up to the photographer's expectations anyway, might as well learn from them in terms of experience, have no pressure, fun, great photos and perhaps, a friendship forged? ;) that's my own perceptive though.

If they're "freelance", how good do you expect them to be? They didn't win America's Next Top Model contest, you know.

Posing is difficult, it comes with lots of experience. I agree most of our local models aren't good.

Skin is a separate matter. I do think the porcelain smooth skin effect is overdone by most photogs here, I'd rather have some minor blemishes in the pix than to have plastic looking skin to the point of being unreal. But if the model has bad acne, sorry-- no shoot.

Pay or no pay up to you. No point canvassing opinion if you don't feel like paying. Anyway, it's a negotiation.

For the many who love model/portraiture shoots, did you notice the flooding of inexperience models in CS asking for paid shoots?

A number of them show lousy portfolios, many only have photos which doesn't even show if they are good posers or not. I do tfcd sometimes for newbies who want to try out modeling, and I do buy them a meal (not hawker food har) and/or compensate them transport fares.

And the reason why I don't pay them hourly is because they can't pose so well, and I still have to spend hours behind my desk smoothening their skin to enhance their looks, giving good efforts so they may receive great pictures.

Paying for newbie models who don't have proper portfolio just seem off to me. Can some of you kindly share with me how you look at this issue? Like how much you think we should be paying, or why we should be paying?

*Models, no offense; I just think we should keep a healthy view of how much models/photographers ought to be earning/paying* :)

hmm, i wouldnt consider myself "a model", but yeah. it's because i've lost touch, although i've child modelled a fair bit, i don't consider myself experienced in any way, thus looking for tfcds only ;p afraid i cannot meet up to the photographer's expectations anyway, might as well learn from them in terms of experience, have no pressure, fun, great photos and perhaps, a friendship forged? ;) that's my own perceptive though.

That's the :thumbsup: spirit! I mean, we ought to be fair right? If I see your portfolio, thinks you're a great poser, and wants to work with you in a shoot....I will definitely pay. :)

Once I wanted to do ballet shoot but the only real ballerinas I can find are 2 14yrs old students. I didn't short-change them. I offer to pay them market rate for paid shoot or tfcd. They chose tfcd, and I bought them a good meal in a restaurant at Cineleisure.

Hope all will continue to enjoy shooting and posing with cutting one another's throat. ;)

If they're "freelance", how good do you expect them to be? They didn't win America's Next Top Model contest, you know.

Posing is difficult, it comes with lots of experience. I agree most of our local models aren't good.

Skin is a separate matter. I do think the porcelain smooth skin effect is overdone by most photogs here, I'd rather have some minor blemishes in the pix than to have plastic looking skin to the point of being unreal. But if the model has bad acne, sorry-- no shoot.

Pay or no pay up to you. No point canvassing opinion if you don't feel like paying. Anyway, it's a negotiation.

Point taken. Thanks Waileong.

demand and supply.. as long as there are people (or mugs) out there willing to pay for inexperienced models, then there will be inexperienced models demanding for such payment.
cant stop people from trying to make a buck.

demand and supply.. as long as there are people (or mugs) out there willing to pay for inexperienced models, then there will be inexperienced models demanding for such payment.
cant stop people from trying to make a buck.

True indeed. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.