Your view on budget airlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
I haven't traveled with any budget airlines so far, but tempted. Basically I wanna travel more and spend less (who else don't?). Some budget flights are schedule at good time (day time) while only take 1/2 the price. Do you think they are reliable? If you have used such service, please share your views here.

Thank you!

I've used Valuair and Air Asia before. It's ok. You pay for what you get. They are reliable. Quite timely. Most importantly gets you where you want to go. I'm eyeing Air Asia to Perth now.

Been on Tiger Airways, I think they are okie... I share the same viewpoint as you tomshen.. travel more & spend less ;)

recommend budget airlines only for flights that are abt 3hrs or below...coz if any longer....I dont think I can bear with the lack of meals aboard flights....better to travel non-low cost carriers for this kinda of flights...more comfortable IMO....:)

One thing I can't bear with is that the plane landed, within 1hr we boarded, and without MRO, it flew off again. Sorry... just me. Lives are at stake here ...

espn said:
One thing I can't bear with is that the plane landed, within 1hr we boarded, and without MRO, it flew off again. Sorry... just me. Lives are at stake here ...
Haha. I normally pray first before boarding:bsmilie:

budget airline better for shorter journeys cause the longer the journey,the more uncomforatble i get with the seat.Apply to jetstarAsia cause only budget airline i took.
The interior are very clean though,if i were to choose for 3-4 hr flights,no doubt be budget airline.
SIA i find plane too old,even taking photo through the window also got problem,window not clean.

I love jetstarasia.. I think they're doing a very good thing, with good prices, and the best list of destinations and prices.

Esp. now that they're doing flights to Kolkata, and next year to Bangalore.. it'll just make me part with more $$$.

Anyway I have this theory that the reason why budget airlines can fly you for so little is cos they cut cost on the uniforms of their stewardesses... very ugly leh.

espn said:
Maintanence, repair and overhaul.

I think you mean turnaround... Maintenance, repair and overhaul takes at least a month to do depending on what checks are scheduled... :D

Basically, all an aircraft needs after each leg is fuel, water and food. You don't need to check an aircraft every time it lands. Checks are required only every few hundred hours flown.

recommend budget airlines only for flights that are abt 3hrs or below...coz if any longer....I dont think I can bear with the lack of meals aboard flights
Damien, budget flights aren't that bad... They sell things like instant noodles, muesli bars, snacks, crackers onboard, so you won't be too hungry. And it's not too expensive. Tiger Airways sells them at $2 each.

philliptan said:
I think you mean turnaround... Maintenance, repair and overhaul takes at least a month to do depending on what checks are scheduled... :D

Basically, all an aircraft needs after each leg is fuel, water and food. You don't need to service an aircraft every time it lands. Checks are required only every few hundred hours flown.

Damien, budget flights aren't that bad... They sell things like instant noodles, muesli bars, snacks, crackers onboard, so you won't be too hungry. And it's not too expensive too.

At first i was rather worried too after reading ESPN comments

But now i feel better after reassurance from someone who service commerical aircrafts :D

Still awake, planet chaser?! :D

Yea, well, we have to remember that planes are built to a much higher standard than say, cars. You don't check/service your car after each trip to Orchard Rd, so what more a plane?

Even so, the checks it goes through is more strict than any car servicing package. Airplanes simply cannot afford to fail in mid flight... It's also against the rules of the SAR for any airline not to replace any critical component that is found to be unserviceable/failing. So, rest assured that all aircraft registered in Singapore is safe. Their operating licence is at stake. Can't say the same for planes from third world countries though.

philliptan said:

Basically, all an aircraft needs after each leg is fuel, water and food. You don't need to check an aircraft every time it lands. Checks are required only every few hundred hours flown.

Damien, budget flights aren't that bad... They sell things like instant noodles, muesli bars, snacks, crackers onboard, so you won't be too hungry. And it's not too expensive. Tiger Airways sells them at $2 each.
Don't they have to check the life span, do general servicing of the parts before taking off again? :think: MRO doesn't really have to be every few hundred hours/KMs flown before it happens, different parts have different life span ;)

Like a new car, each aircraft has a specific check package based on hours (which is the airline equivalent of mileage). All the checks are scheduled BEFORE a particular critical item's life span is due.

When the time arrives for a check (A, B, C or M check, etc), the aircraft will be taken off active duty and come to an MRO company (like the one I'm working at) for weeks or months depending of the checks. The newer the aircraft, the less intensive is the check. For example, Valuair's been sending their A320s in for a few days' check this past month.

They do not change any parts outside of the scheduled checks unless the pilot reports a failure. If the aircraft is operating smoothly, there is no reason to change anything on the apron. Hence, it's just fuel, water and food (consumables) and off you go.

philliptan said:
Still awake, planet chaser?! :D

So, rest assured that all aircraft registered in Singapore is safe. Their operating licence is at stake. Can't say the same for planes from third world countries though.

Or the USA for that matter, which as a nation has a long and illustrious list of airlines both domestic and international that either cut corners or outright flouted maintainence requirements as set down by both their local aviation authorities, the FAA and aircraft manufacturers.:devil:

espn said:
Don't they have to check the life span, do general servicing of the parts before taking off again? :think: MRO doesn't really have to be every few hundred hours/KMs flown before it happens, different parts have different life span ;)
if they do that.....the airport would be jammed with flights waiting for a gate....most plane parts are made to last for long periods of time without replacement....:) you've gotta listen to Philip mann....he services planes for a living....;)most regional flights just need 1hr to refuel,resupply and they're off.....

philliptan said:

I feel better already:D

I think you guys watched too much of NGC's 'Air crash investigations'! :bsmilie: No airline will keep its planes grounded. They need it to keep flying to recoup the cost of the plane.

For short distance, budget airlines are quite good. I tried Tiger and not bad. You get what you pay for. Its clean and decent. 3Hr flight max for me on budget. Any longer, i'll go bonkers.

afbug said:
I think you guys watched too much of NGC's 'Air crash investigations'! :bsmilie: No airline will keep its planes grounded. They need it to keep flying to recoup the cost of the plane.

For short distance, budget airlines are quite good. I tried Tiger and not bad. You get what you pay for. Its clean and decent. 3Hr flight max for me on budget. Any longer, i'll go bonkers.

Most mishap were caused by human errors. Budget or not, its the quality of maintenance and standard of pilots that are important, as long as the A/C need to enter or leave Singapore, need approval from CAAS, if not up to par, sorry wait long long.

If we are talking about safety issues on budget air not really any problem, comfort...it depends on perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.