Your view on budget airlines

Status
Not open for further replies.
All airlines, I believe have insurance cover per passenger up to a certain limit. U can get faster results by calling them up or checking their websites instead of asking here. ;)

Maintenance? - regularly of cos
Repair? - should not be that often with proper maintenance.
Overhaul? - with proper maintenance and repair, overhaul is last!

Budget airlines safe to use? - Our govement will be more concern than us!

jsbn said:
All airlines, I believe have insurance cover per passenger up to a certain limit. U can get faster results by calling them up or checking their websites instead of asking here. ;)

ok thanks, i have checked through their website but can't get an answer..Thank you.

Insurance cover is totally independent of the kind of airline you're flying. You're buying insurance from 3rd party, not from the airline so it doesn't make a difference what class of airline you're flying.

philliptan said:
Insurance cover is totally independent of the kind of airline you're flying. You're buying insurance from 3rd party, not from the airline so it doesn't make a difference what class of airline you're flying.
I believe LENS is asking abt the mandatory payout and monetary cover that each airline company has for each passenger if the budget airline goes kamikaze into the deep blue sea or over the nice mountain. :D

budget airlines are a little risky for me....their planes are very stressed out..on average, one bugget carrier plane decompresses at least 3 times a day, unless its grounded or in maintainence....phillip, can confirm?

philliptan said:

so when we buy ticket from budget airline, it is always will be added on right? every travel has the risk.

It happens to be my mum told me that she read some budget airline doesn't get passenger paying for insurance cover. And i remember that once i went oversea with Airasia, my friend told me if he paid the ticket for me online, i won't get insurance coverage as he was using his credit card to pay.

Well, usually we buy ticket for commercial airline, we pay airport tax, and insurance surcharge..

Well, maybe i don't understand how the insurance works ha..

ok, so put it a simple question, if you have a life insurance, and if anything happen to you traveling with a budget airline, did you get protected?

normally there is a insurance tax on commercial airline, what is that?

JediForce4ever said:
budget airlines are a little risky for me....their planes are very stressed out..on average, one bugget carrier plane decompresses at least 3 times a day, unless its grounded or in maintainence....phillip, can confirm?

Well, even full service regional airlines like SilkAir flies as much as 3 times a day. Your fears are unfounded because the budget airlines in Singapore operates new aircraft, so there isn't much risk, especially since aircraft skins are designed to expand and contract.

Well it is that simple. Those who are scared either pay for the full fare airline or just stay at home. Or just take the risk.

Normally, those who do not fly that often are the ones who are scared becos it is unfamiliar territory. Those who are frequent flyers board the plane like taking MRT everyday - it becomes routine, mundane and quotidien - just like the undertaker seeing dead bodies every day of his life. :cool: :eek: :bsmilie:

espn said:
One thing I can't bear with is that the plane landed, within 1hr we boarded, and without MRO, it flew off again. Sorry... just me. Lives are at stake here ...

nothing unusual
just because we dont see this with SIA or big planes doenst mean this doenst happen alot.

in the states, during times of delay, after the plane arrives and docks.. within 40 minutes, it is taxi-ing out again.

trust me. i was in such a plane just last week.

LENS said:
It happens to be my mum told me that she read some budget airline doesn't get passenger paying for insurance cover. And i remember that once i went oversea with Airasia, my friend told me if he paid the ticket for me online, i won't get insurance coverage as he was using his credit card to pay.
I believe Citibank has this policy whereby if u charge full-airfares and tickets to ur Citibank Credit Card, there will be insurance coverage on u?

Which Card did u charge it to? :think:

espn said:
One thing I can't bear with is that the plane landed, within 1hr we boarded, and without MRO, it flew off again. Sorry... just me. Lives are at stake here ...
Actually, unless we work in the airline industry cleaning aeroplane heads, being stewards/stewardess or pilots, we wun know if every single aircraft went thru MRO or the same aircraft flies 3 times a day or stuff like dat right? :D

I think some CSers work in the airline industry so they might be more familar with it. But till den, ignorance is bliss.... Sometimes it doesn't pay to know too much. :(

JediForce4ever said:

All modern airframes are designed to handle a given number of pressurisation cycles, that number goes into the hundreds of thousands... with sound and regular maintenance. It's fairly common to see an airplane undergo 4-6 pressurisation cycles in a day, especially airplanes plying short haul routes. Budget and low cost carriers are typically in this group given the type of route network they operate in. Legacy carriers like SIA also experience such levels of aircraft usage on their short hops but given the larger size of their fleet and wide network of short, medium and long routes, their airplanes are typically rotated and over time, they average lower pressurisation cycles. A typical SIA B777 can operate 2 return sectors to KL followed by another 2 to Jakarta in a 24 hour period. That's 8 cycles in a day.

jsbn said:
Actually, unless we work in the airline industry cleaning aeroplane heads, being stewards/stewardess or pilots, we wun know if every single aircraft went thru MRO or the same aircraft flies 3 times a day or stuff like dat right? :D

I think some CSers work in the airline industry so they might be more familar with it. But till den, ignorance is bliss.... Sometimes it doesn't pay to know too much. :(

Airlines tend to operate in a regulated operational environment. Many countries have their own regulatory agencies which oversee and audit airlines in their maintenance and operational practices. As far as maintenance is concerned, airlines have to subject their airplanes to periodic checks based on a clearly laid out schedule based on the number of flight hours, landings and other factors. The schedule is often dictated by that of the regulaorty agency and also by the the aircraft manufacturer. There are differing levels of maintenance, the simplest checks typically carried out before and after each flight is a visual inspection of the aircraft, running on board self-diagnostic tests, checking to see if any faults were reported on the sector, checking engine oil levels etc... these checks grow progressively more intensive and the aircraft will eventually be sent on a heavy check after a certain number of hours where systems and fuselage are almost torn apart and put back together. Like cars, certain modifications are also carried to the airframe and systems during its operational life. New engines can be fitted, tyres changed, brakepads replaced, avionics upgraded, enhancement of passenger anemeties etc...

There are of course airlines which try to cut corners to save a buck or two. In Singapore, the Civial Aviaton Authority of Singapore (CAAS) is the regulatory watchdog and they do a pretty good job on making sure that maintenance levels are kept high and proper. The CAAS examiners quite often make unannounced visits to maintenance facilities to audit work practices. Their examiners are well trained in the many different fields of airline operations, from piloting to changing a tyre as many were or have retired from doing the same jobs in the airlines.

Yes.... Terence. How can we forget u. :)

With the amount of experience Terence has, I'm sure we can have a peace of mind on those budget aircrafts. If they are flying out of Singapore and into Singapore, as long as its Singapore, we can have a peace of mind. :)

So far on the record, I had never heard of any flights out of Singapore suffering any problems. LENS! I guess ur fears are unfounded then? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.