Your preference: Matte or Glossy?

Matte or Glossy prints?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
although i prefer matte, its only because of it's resistance to fingerprints!
...found that konica's golden dragon glossy paper is actually quite resistant too...
...anyone knows of a reputable printing shop which uses such paper?
thanks!

No 1 color centre at orchard plaza uses konica's golden dragon paper.

glossy feels more "sparkly"...matt feels a bit "dullish" :)

errr.... it depends really, at least for me when doing home printing.

My choice of paper is somewhat image-related, scientifically it may not be... :D .

I use Epson Matte/Archival Matte/Semi-gloss paper when my images are monochromatic or B&W like this:

A monochromatic image using a color film:
aab.jpg

I use Epson Glossy paper when I want to enhance or bring out the colours/contrast of images like these:

Aboretum3.jpg

Stairs.jpg

Well, I am attending the Epson Printing Workshop tomorrow, so we shall see if all wise men think alike :think:

CaeSiuM said:

Hmmm... you see me developing matte and glossy prints, that's why u asked this question, izzit? hahaa!

i guess my sentiments do not differ from jasphotography's.

Btw, i haven't received the soft copies yet.

silver.wolf said:
Hmmm... you see me developing matte and glossy prints, that's why u asked this question, izzit? hahaa!

i guess my sentiments do not differ from jasphotography's.

Btw, i haven't received the soft copies yet.

No la :p

This was posted before I saw you. Will send you the softcopies later when I get there. ;)

ckiang is right. At least for the Singapore labs, they use the lustre paper in place of the true matte finish. Not sure how different they are but I think the lustre paper is fantastic itself.

CaeSiuM said:
ckiang is right. At least for the Singapore labs, they use the lustre paper in place of the true matte finish. Not sure how different they are but I think the lustre paper is fantastic itself.
True matte will have no reflections on it at all. Lustre still has some sheen on it.
Regards
CK

Prefer the glossy effect - but tend to stick to each other or to the plastic sheets of photo albums over time.

LiOnElLiN said:
although i prefer matte, its only because of it's resistance to fingerprints!
...found that konica's golden dragon glossy paper is actually quite resistant too...
...anyone knows of a reputable printing shop which uses such paper?
thanks!

When u choose the type of paper (kodak/fuji/konica/etc), besides considering its resistance to fingerprints, etc, don't you consider whether or not the prints can last a long time without fading?

I prefer matte, especially when framing the picture. Glossy emulsion is prone to sticking stick to the glass, ruining the photograph.

Many problems people encounter with glossy prints are due to incorrect handling and storage of prints.

Prints should not be clumped together for the long term. Its best to use polyester or melinex sleeves or envelopes for each individual print or use photoalbums with polyester or melinex pockets. Avoid the polyethylene variety which is what labs give you free. Alternatively interleave your prints with stoarge papers.

Framed prints should not contact the glass frame directly. Use a matt board for protection and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.