Your Pentax Story

sobrietyanonymous

Sep 29, 2011
this thread is dedicated to all who would like to make an ode, or a personal opinion about pentax and how it has changed or influenced ur photographic journey.. do use my template if you wish to.. let's share!

URL: reid & kitshan
Special Interests: Portraits, Travel, Wildlife

How I started out with Pentax:

I am an avid traveller.

Pentax was my first DSLR. All along i had been taking grainy photos with my PNS, a fujifilm. I realized, back in 2010 that my love for travelling is gaining a hold on my life and i need to find a way to document my overseas experiences beautifully. i combed many online forums, and i was recommended the pentax k-x

when i first got my pentax k-x, which i am still using today (the same one), i was doubtful if a $1k entry level DSLR of a relatively unknown brand would serve me well.. but, pentax has persistently blown my mind to what i can achieve

My favorite pentax photos:

these are some of my favorite photos, all taken with my k-x

indo38.jpg

indo46.jpg

indo55.jpg

swplhi.jpg

nfsl87.jpg

My wishes for Pentax:

I hope pentax can improve on its autofocus, i love the line of lenses already, there is no need (unlike what my leica/canon friends say) to keep pushing lenses every now and then. i don't need full frame, but im sure there are many who would want it. keep working on the pentax Q, i will be tempted to buy it for tele photography..

don't forget wildlife tele photographers like me (im a wannabe), introduce more lenses to help us with this passion
- the new 560mm seems really huge and bulk.. i cannot imagine bringing it around
- more teleconverter options would be appreciated

What I would say to a person undecided if he should start his photographic journey with Pentax

You will not regret it

The quality of images you can produce will overwhelm you.

Your Top Three Favorite Pentax Lenses

3. M 50 1.7
- pros: great bokeh, great build, light weight, metal build, relatively sharp
- cons: manual focus

2. DA 35 F 2.4
- pros: great value, great colors, sharp, light weight, versatile and non intimidating when using for portraitures
- cons: AF issues

1. DA*300 / 4
- pros: sharp, amazing colors, fantastic reach (but sometimes still not enough)
- cons: AF issues

Last edited:
I used the 'Like' function, but decided to post a comment after that.

Damn it, I just hate using the 'like' button.
What the hell is a 'like'
A 'like' to me is a non committal way of saying something but not putting effort in saying anything.
Unfortunately, this is the world of facebook now with its popularity.
But old man like me just don't really get it...

So I type this now as an add on.

:thumbsup: THUMBS UP! to an initiative to starting a thread and putting your faith in your own photo taking and Pentax.

I've said too much about using Pentax already here :
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pent...ing-after-photokina-2012-pentax-aps-c-me.html

;)

Last edited:
pinholecam said:
I used the 'Like' function, but decided to post a comment after that.

Damn it, I just hate using the 'like' button.
What the hell is a 'like'
A 'like' to me is a non committal way of saying something but not putting effort in saying anything.
Unfortunately, this is the world of facebook now with its popularity.
But old man like me just don't really get it...

So I type this now as an add on.

:thumbsup: THUMBS UP! to an initiative to starting a thread and putting your faith in your own photo taking and Pentax.

I've said too much about using Pentax already here :
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pentax-ricoh/1168783-sentosa-short-trip-soul-searching-after-photokina-2012-pentax-aps-c-me.html

;)

A "like" is like slack-tivism. Slack at home but still can be activist on social media

my journey started a few yrs ago when i found that the k-x offered good functionality at a competitive price. the navy blue coloured body was a plus point - loved it to bits when i had it.

through that camera, i discovered my passion for insect photography and the backward compatibility meant that i could explore old MF macro lenses (macro focusing is usually through MF anyway so an AF macro lens isn't really compelling except that it can be used for non-macro purposes) and i soon accumulated some really nice glass to play with.

anyway, while most pple will say that "old MF glass is cheaper", i beg to differ... for macro lenses, the good ones are not cheap and may not be worth it unless u have very specific needs. some ebay sellers have obviously realised that certain models have a "cult" status and pple are willing to pay to own them. this had increased BIN prices. for items up for bidding is also crazy when u have a bunch of experienced ebayers who also happen to be pentax / macro enthusiasts whacking the bid button seconds before the auction closes - US$1.99 to US$500 in less than 10 mins. exciting :bsmilie:

i upgraded to the K5 once it was available and have never looked back since - its such a significant upgrade and it has served me well since i got it through pre-order to now. i was tempted by the K5IIs but its really not compelling. my K5 will last for another year or 2.

my hopes for the brand is that it emerges as a respectable brand with a strong offering of products. they need to diversify the range and offer value for money offerings for beginners as well as more high-end products for enthusiasts / pros. to me, it doesn't have to be "cheapest" - but it has to be worth the money and superior to what the competition has to offer.

favourite lenses:
DA*16-50
FA31 Ltd
DFA100WR

Last edited:
My journey started 2 year ago when DSLR starts to drop below 1k mark, and my 2nd compact camera, a superzoom is getting retired, and I am looking for a starter DSLR package within 600sgd but offerring same coverage of my superzoom 28-400mm,

then I found a M 50mm f1.7 (I bought it before I bought a camera), 2nd hand Kx with kit lens, a M200mm f4 with 2x teleconvertor ; and realized my father's old Phenix 28-135 f3.8-5.2 also works in K mount; so my 600 sgd dslr package covering 28-400mm started. while that time Canon, Nikon one are 1k with just a kit lens.

The k mount supports a wide range manual lens, and Kx comes with in-body shake reduction, focus confirmation, focal length input, auto metering wide open, stop down metering with all lens, which opens door to all cheap manual lens, tokina, vivitar, ...... and of course pentax, the 28mm, 50mm, 135mm are the cheapest and most available lens around 100 dollar, and most time they are enough for most case, since the film era, people can just use 50mm for everything.

My hope is the Pentax full frame DSLR, no more film scanning, and more dreamy effect with the old manual lens. it is a bit extreme to use a 100 dollar lens on 2k camera, but it is just a tool and I enjoy to use.

favorite lens:
M 50mm f1.7
M 50mm f1.4
K 50mm f1.2

M 50mm f1.7
5901244148_bc84e53c00_z.jpg

M 50mm f1.4
6358080725_5260f1a39d_z.jpg

My journey started in early 2010 with K-x and 18-55mm lens and at that time i had zero knowledge of what exposure is. I told myself If I'm gonna buy myself a dslr, it's because I want to learn photography, so whatever brand will do for me. So I decided to choose K-x, it's simply based on DxoMark's test and it's price (performance/price). Lucky I didn't open thread on clubsnap newbie corner asking recommendation otherwise it could turn out more complicated than it need to be.

Then I met few pentaxians during lens buying transaction, they taught me how to use the lens, how to inspect the lens when buying 2nd hand lens, and then started joining the outing (I remember it was at hort park). Pentaxians are really nice and friendly.

And finally I realize that Pentax is really a cool brand, it's not a mainstream brand, but it's also not a hipster brand.
It is not brand that only casual snap shooters/serious amateurs use, but professionals really use this brand too.
The Pentax system covers from 110, aps, 135, 645, up to 67 format. From microscope, cctv lens, slr lens, rf lens, up to telescope, and pentax even made spotmeter too. It's definitely brand specialized in optics, not fridge, printer, or tv brand...

Beatles%202.jpg

75900d1289598339-asian-movie-superstar-chow-yun-fat-chooses-pentax-645d-cyf.jpg

600full-nobuyoshi-araki.jpg

Ansel-Adams.1.png

Really love this brand, enough said :cool:

wow! everyone here starts off with k-x!

come, more to share our stories!

Time to share my piece. Seldom post but always lurking around :)

My love with Pentax started in early 2010. Back then when I was researching for a suitable DSLR, considered Canikon but somehow both brands do not really appeal to me because of a combination (or lack of) of ergonomics, colour of the output, price and backward compatibility.

Why backward compatibility important for a new DSLR user? Well, I have been shooting with my trusty Nikon FE for many years and I was leaning towards and almost bought a Nikon then because I can use my legacy manual focus AI lens. Then I found out that that only much more expensive models are able to meter AI lens. Decided against it due to budget constrain. Super disappointed.

The search continues until I found this CS Pentax sub forum and start to get interested in the discussions, photos and understand more about the backward compatibility with all K mount lens. This really got me excited and after much reading, I finally bought a K7 with 2 WR kit lens in April 2010. Really love the WR, It rocks! Like many of us, the choice is made and there is no turning back. Since then I’ve bought quite a few lenses and loving them, from Takumars, A, K, F, FA, DA, especially the FA Limiteds! My K7 still serves me well till date and looking forward to the mystical FF body:think:.

Favourite lenses:
FA31 LTD
FA77 LTD
FA50 f2.8
K28 f3.5

I started researching for my 1st DSLR back in late 2009. was a newbie then to the world of DSLR and was quite convince to buy a D90. Then saw many good review of the Kx and started to taken notice of Pentax.
One fine day was walking by SLR Revo (5th floor old location). and hear a loud mechanical CLICK CLICK CLICK. Oh yes. one man meat is another man poison. some ppl really hate that kx shutter sound but it was music to my ears reminding me of the good old film SLR.

Immediate when in and brought a Black kit 1855. i was told that my set was the 3rd they had sold and the stock just arrived that day. With the Kx i begin my DsLR journey. The journey begin strangely, i got alot of stares. i got questioned .."huh, why not C or N....my C N is so $$$$$$ and good". I felt like a victim of brand harassment and brain washing. After the first year of amateurish photo. i decided to take a take a photography course. The first thing my instructor told the class is to take out our the camera. I took out mine. The instructor saw my camera and made a remake . you are the first student in my so many years of class to use a Pentax. "come sit in front"...... goosh. stress. emotions fly in my mind. Moving to the front. suddenly the instructor smiling so brightly. pull out a K1000 n M 50 f2 and start teaching the class the basics of photography. Bright smile grew on my face. After that day my photo quality improved. People start to take notice of my photos. People started asking me what camera i used. I proudly show them my camera. Soon everyone in my office knows i shoot Pentax. Nobody tries to convert me anymore.

I got hook on Pentax as a niche brand as well as its cult followers (CS Pentaxian). Why do i call Pentaxian a cult? I remember back in 2010 if you can met a follow Pentaxian on the road. you will smile at each other and nod in approval. This is the bonding ritual the C n N user wont understand. On some occasion pointers are exchange and a new friend made. You wont expect snobbish behavior from Pentaxian.

I had used every new model since Kx. Every new model had give me more reasons to smile as improvements. Yes i know they are not state of art, leading edge camera as some other brands want to be known for. But Pentax provide a value for money system that is comparable to the bigger brands at easily half the cost or less. I look forward to Pentax FF and hope to strike Toto or 4D to be able to go for the MF options , Pentax MF of course.

Last edited:
Think I should chip in a story since Anime Festival Asia 2012 is just around the corner.

My interest in photography had to be traced back to 2004. I was an otaku (still am) and was really interested in the cosplay culture after attending cosfest (largest cosplay event then) a year earlier. I promised myself to be back the following year (which I did) with a camera to captured all the fun moments of the cosplayers and their amazing costumes. I knew nothing about photography back then and I just use my family camera (an Olympus film auto focus PNS, now gone missing in my house). Since then, I tried to make it for every cosplay event for photography opportunities. However, that's about all since I was still a poor student in NTU. My passion in cosplay photography did not die out and the cosplay community grew so much over the years that I felt compelled to compliment the cosplayers and their efforts with better photos. And in 2008, I bought my 1st digital camera Canon Powershot SX100 IS, a 10x optical zoom camera with some money I had saved from my part time job.

IMG_1067.jpg
IMG_10561.jpg

It served me well over 3 years before it became faulty and forced into early retirement (it's still kept in my cupboard though).

Time for an upgrade. However, by then my mind was already thinking of investing in a DSLR. Since there are quite a few cosplay events (once every 2 months or so) and I do traveled a bit, an investment in a DSLR is surely justified. Worrying that I might not fully utilised such a powerful tool, I delayed the purchase. Since I am working already, I bought a prosumer camera, Fujifilm Finepix HS20 EXR, a 30x superzoom camera in July 2011. I was excited as it gave me great image quality and so much fun from the zoom.

DSCF0847.jpg
DSCF02961.jpg

But it was a short lived experience as I slowly grew out of it and embarked on a more Interesting path that I never looked back.

My journey with Pentax only started last December. I bought a K-r with Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 for 1k from a Pentaxian after seeing his post in the BNS section. Back then I already had a Canon DSLR 600D. I stumble upon the Pentax forum and suddenly it struck me - I actually forgot about Pentax, arguably the best camera brand during the film era! Riding on LBA, I acquired the K-r after reading some reviews on it. I had fun and I really like it. But I can't upkeep 2 camera systems. I tried to sell the K-r away. I failed. Since it's a relatively unknown brand locally, it's really hard to sell anything. The Canon have to go. I sold it away, partly because their lenses cost ridiculously expensive. My path in photography became even more Interesting from then.

IMGP0123_2.jpg

An infection with the BBB virus led me to a buying spree of cheap manual lenses (strong point of being backward compatible) and some film camera. Nowadays I'm mostly into portrait photography and have joined some of the photo shoots organised by enthusiasts from Club Snap. And getting involved into landscape photography after inspired by photos from Pentaxian Maestro Simon. I'm still largely obsess with cosplay photography though. It helps knowing that what kind of photography I'm interested in so that I wouldn't buy anything that I do not need.

As of what I wished for in the future... I wouldn't wished for anything at the moment. Pentax have done a great job so far. Full frame is over rated. For a hobbyist like me, K-r is good enough for me. I am looking at the k30 at the moment as it suits more of my need. I always lived by the rule, know what your needs are. The current Pentax lineup fulfilled about everyone's need at the moment. No point hoping for this and that. If you want really good quality photos, why bother even looking at full frame. Medium format is so much better. And Pentax 645D is so amazing (at a price too). Sadly, there are quite a few guys jumped ship recently though.

And finally, I don't really have favourite lenses. But the M42 mount Takumar legacy lenses are really fun to play with. I'm playing with the 105/2.8, 150/4 and 200/3.5 lately. Waiting for my 17/4 Fish eye to shipped over.

To potential Pentaxians, Pentax may not be a brand for everyone (better at primes rather than zooms lenses). However, every Pentaxian will tell you how much fun and value he/she had enjoyed since being one.

I WOULD KEEP MY STORY SHORT.

In the year 2009 September, I bought a Panasonic 18X superzoom 10MP DMC-FZ28 for S$720, I was thinking , why do I need expensive DSLR like Nikon or Canon.
This FZ28 was my most expensive camera and my second digital camera after 5MP Nikon E3200, versus DSLR FZ28 was cheaper. There were many dials and buttons on the FZ28, including Manual control dials , WB settings, ...which I did not know why they were there for and how to use then, this camera followed me from Inner Mongolia to Japan to Taiwan to Indonesia Sumatra to most remote places in India for WORK at customer sites/plants for 10 months, mainly I used it to take videos and snap shots of worksites / factories sometimes...tourist sights if there is a chance.....All on the AUTO mode...

Then one day my brother said he bought a 2nd hand Pentax Kx for $600, with two kit lens, I said that is real cheap for DSLR,even for 2nd hand, I was impressed by the photos he took for our family shots, like 'pro' compare to my FZ28. It was giving very nice color and I very much like the Bokeh effect he was creating with his every shots,which I could not do on the FZ28.

After spending 3 months looking at Pentax websites review,then sometime in 2010 December, when I was doing Christmas Shopping with my family and sister family at Marina Square, my brother informed me that Emjay was having a booth selling Pentax Kr body at $650 and DA35 f2.4 at $260 at SITEX show at EXPO hall....I immediately left the shopping and rushed all the way down there at 4pm on Sunday, the last day of SITEX 2010, traffic was bad , parking was like 10 minutes walk away and some more illegal parking, since I was alone, I was not sure how to assess the Kr, I spend 3 minutes at the booth and paid for the set and went home Happy that I got my first DSLR and it was cheap and I know it is good camera comparing with my brother Kx. Then I sold my FZ28 online to a nice gentleman who was looking for a better camera than a point and shoot compact for $250 as it was a well used FZ28, to off set my guilt of spending on a new camera after 15 months. ( I had my Nikon E3200 for 5 years).

SO, the moral of my Pentax story is I got to know Pentax only through my brother (Dennis) and Emjay, looking back, I think I would not have known about Pentax DSLR if it was not introduced by Dennis my brother and him showing me the photos he took with Kx. That is why I think the Clubsnap Pentax outing is far more valuable than any advertisement money spend on any media, on these outings you get interaction with Pentax camera owners, you see their photos, you compare with your own same photos, you get hear their Pentax stories, you don't get salesman angry face if you try out Pentax at the shop and then would like to think about it, you get friends and hands on photography lessons, you get second hand lens, you get to touch and feel the camera body, you See and Believe....so I think the Pentax outing / group in Singapore plays a very important role to bring in those who are New to DSLR, Keep up the great selfless work.

Now, I am looking to the future , I don't think I would sell my Kr or the DA35mm, see my nickname 'PhilipKr35" !
Next, I wanted a small good photos quality camera , ie the Q and Q10, which would it be ? I like some features of both, I have heard all the Seniors advise, I am digesting, I have seen RX100, Samsung EX.., I have seen Olympus PL, Sony Nex-5N, they all I do not like at all, so Pentax it shall be....waiting.....
Pentax K5 IIs would be a GREAT camera, I know, now I Need not See to Believe in Pentax, but maybe in the year 2014.

Thanks for starting this thread.

I WOULD KEEP MY STORY SHORT.

In the year 2009 September, I bought a Panasonic 18X superzoom 10MP DMC-FZ28 for S$720, I was thinking , why do I need expensive DSLR like Nikon or Canon.
This FZ28 was my most expensive camera and my second digital camera after 5MP Nikon E3200, versus DSLR FZ28 was cheaper. There were many dials and buttons on the FZ28, including Manual control dials , WB settings, ...which I did not know why they were there for and how to use then, this camera followed me from Inner Mongolia to Japan to Taiwan to Indonesia Sumatra to most remote places in India for WORK at customer sites/plants for 10 months, mainly I used it to take videos and snap shots of worksites / factories sometimes...tourist sights if there is a chance.....All on the AUTO mode...

Then one day my brother said he bought a 2nd hand Pentax Kx for $600, with two kit lens, I said that is real cheap for DSLR,even for 2nd hand, I was impressed by the photos he took for our family shots, like 'pro' compare to my FZ28. It was giving very nice color and I very much like the Bokeh effect he was creating with his every shots,which I could not do on the FZ28.

After spending 3 months looking at Pentax websites review,then sometime in 2010 December, when I was doing Christmas Shopping with my family and sister family at Marina Square, my brother informed me that Emjay was having a booth selling Pentax Kr body at $650 and DA35 f2.4 at $260 at SITEX show at EXPO hall....I immediately left the shopping and rushed all the way down there at 4pm on Sunday, the last day of SITEX 2010, traffic was bad , parking was like 10 minutes walk away and some more illegal parking, since I was alone, I was not sure how to assess the Kr, I spend 3 minutes at the booth and paid for the set and went home Happy that I got my first DSLR and it was cheap and I know it is good camera comparing with my brother Kx. Then I sold my FZ28 online to a nice gentleman who was looking for a better camera than a point and shoot compact for $250 as it was a well used FZ28, to off set my guilt of spending on a new camera after 15 months. ( I had my Nikon E3200 for 5 years).

SO, the moral of my Pentax story is I got to know Pentax only through my brother (Dennis) and Emjay, looking back, I think I would not have known about Pentax DSLR if it was not introduced by Dennis my brother and him showing me the photos he took with Kx. That is why I think the Clubsnap Pentax outing is far more valuable than any advertisement money spend on any media, on these outings you get interaction with Pentax camera owners, you see their photos, you compare with your own same photos, you get hear their Pentax stories, you don't get salesman angry face if you try out Pentax at the shop and then would like to think about it, you get friends and hands on photography lessons, you get second hand lens, you get to touch and feel the camera body, you See and Believe....so I think the Pentax outing / group in Singapore plays a very important role to bring in those who are New to DSLR, Keep up the great selfless work.

Now, I am looking to the future , I don't think I would sell my Kr or the DA35mm, see my nickname 'PhilipKr35" !
Next, I wanted a small good photos quality camera , ie the Q and Q10, which would it be ? I like some features of both, I have heard all the Seniors advise, I am digesting, I have seen RX100, Samsung EX.., I have seen Olympus PL, Sony Nex-5N, they all I do not like at all, so Pentax it shall be....waiting.....
Pentax K5 IIs would be a GREAT camera, I know, now I Need not See to Believe in Pentax, but maybe in the year 2014.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Bro Philip,

Price wise I believe the Q is cheaper. With the new firmware, it is so much more fun. As you know, I too have the Q and a K to Q adapter just like J. K. Very good for macro photography or as an all rounder. I carry this to work everyday. Both 01 and 02 lenses and the cute CCTV 25mm F1.4 lens too

How I got into Pentax? Well here is my story . . .

I got into Pentax when I sold my older Chinon CP-7m to another friend and bought the Z-20 together with another friend. I used it for 13 years and moved to digital when I bought the Fujifilm E550 but did not like the output for low light. Then I bought the Canon S2 which was a bridge camera and the output was OK, I then wanted something bigger and bought a Canon 450D Japanese version Kiss xxx, but when I spoke to Arthur about the Canon, I realised he had switched to Pentax and he was selling off his K10D as he had upgraded to K20D. I bought the K10D from him and sold off the Canon and have used the K20D, the K7, the K-x, which was sold to another old friend, and now the K5 and the Q.

The camaraderie of Pentaxians is something that cannot be seen from the other brands and I like that we could use our older lenses, of which I have a collection.

I am now thinking of the K5 IIs but my budget is not there so will continue to use the K5 until I can afford the K5 IIs or by then another body from Pentax. I will still keep the K5 though as my son wants to have it after I get the new body.

Last edited:
felixcat8888 said:
Bro Philip,

Price wise I believe the Q is cheaper. With the new firmware, it is so much more fun. As you know, I too have the Q and a K to Q adapter just like J. K. Very good for macro photography or as an all rounder. I carry this to work everyday. Both 01 and 02 lenses and the cute CCTV 25mm F1.4 lens too

I am leaning towards Q at this moment, on the mrt.

felixcat8888 said:
BBB virus spreading in the forum . . .

Thanks for reminder... : ) the only thing that stand in the way of decision is - would the Q10 be having a better low light performance versus Q ? Ie since the sensor is different, I know AF could be the same since firmware 1.10, but what about sensitivity ie ISO and resolution ?

How I got to know Pentax:
Hi,
My story started when my old SONY F707 gave up on me after returning from a biz trip in Germany during winter. It was a prosumer camera with a fixed lens.It has served me well in family photos/outings until it decided to fail on me. It was an expensive investment for me as we all know, $$ is hard to comeby. About 2 years I did not own a camera until I started using my Nokia N95 8GB smartphone where I started to use the camera to take pictures. I was intrigued by the images taken from the small phone and my passion to own another camera triggers my long lost passion for photography. With a small budget, I started browsing the net for my new tool. Both the C and N was expensive and came across this forum thru google.

After comparing the features and my budget, Pentax K7 was the latest and greatest purchased I ever made. It is still serving me very well. The first test was when just after I purchased, I went a tour in Japan that year during winter. The camera was a joy to use throughout the whole trip and did not malfunction even years after returning from Japan. Battery lasts very long too. Now that I have Pentax range of lenses, I am looking forward to another good product from Pentax. Need to save more $$ to get another one. Afterall, it is the person who is behind the camera that counts, the camera is merely a tool to help create a better expression of the person in the images he/she captures. That is what really matters!

I now have known /met some Pentaxians thru this forum and I am glad to be a Pentaxians. The ease of use in the user interface is not as clunky or cumbersome as some others. It is plain simple and direct, even for a noob like me. Here are some of my favourite images taken with this awesome camera:
K7+50 1.7 Manual Focus (Bought from Fengwei :) )
3791242015_2180e9bd7a.jpg

K7+100WR Macro Lens (Purchased early this year)
7047642699_33a12fe787.jpg

K7+Kit lens 18-55WR
4228663399_477e02ef2b.jpg

Thank you for watching..

Regards,
Rashid a.k.a icemangrafx

Last edited:
My journey with photograph went back all the to 1996. In the school AVA club, I learn how to use a camera and load the film. Back then a normal pns on 35mm film was not cheap. I own my first 35mm pns with zoom feature from 1999 till I got enlisted.

I started to get more serious with photography when I got my first digital camera Lumix FZ5 when service me well for over 5 years. Produce nice photo but night shots can never meet my expectation. I was bearing with poor night shoots and thought of getting a DSLR grew.

My good friend Ranchy has started using a Pentax K7 in 2010. He told me the good quality photo produce by the K7. Pentax to me was an unknown camera brand and like most people, I was skeptical with brand name, only believed in CnN back then. I did intensive research on Pentax K7, it was on par with 50D in term of features but costing less than a 500D not to mention the first time I heard the word WR. The thing holding me back was I was doing my part time studies and I do not have the time to devote to my hobby.

It was in 2011 when I was recovering from a break up. I needed an activities to fill the emptiness. By then another good friend of mine Doyle has gotten a Kx, all I could say dam value for money with good quality photo. I know what I wanted, a DSLR with acceptable noise level at high ISO but I do not want to burn a hole in my pocket. K7 and Kx is not suitable for me then I found Kr. Took me two week to hunt for a white Kr on the club bns. The three of us go out for regular photo shoot together to improve our skills. White camera body does get a lot of attention from passerby. sometime CnN user also take an interest on my white camera when I was out shooting.

With my Kr, I got more involve in clubsnap's Pentax sub forum. Since then I take a keen interest in birding. Now I have upgraded to K5 and I am not looking back. I know the K5IIs is good but my K5 will continue to serve me well for another year or 2 before I decide to upgrade.

IMGP1227 by trowa05, on Flickr
my first try on birding.

Blue-tailed Bee-eater by trowa05, on Flickr
My most recent.

My humble story… I will try to keep it short and sweet, hope I’m not boring too much.

I started looking for a DSLR in the end of the year 2009. The final push was a friend who was also buying a DSLR, therefore, I also started looking out for mine. Reading reviews on the net, friends’ recommendation etc and my choice was on the Nikon D90 while he has settled for his Canon. However, one day, I stumble upon the Pentax K-x (Frankly, I can’t remember where did I see it) and the colour choice make me to look deeper into it where I stumble upon Clubsnap, Pentax Sub Forum. From there, I have been looking around for more information on the Pentax K-x and also gain interest in the Pentax K7. Fengwei, Pinholecam and airconvent and others pentaxians has given me few pointers of the pro and con. At the meantime, the promotion price of Pentax K7 came out and I just could not resist, went to the camera shop, feel the Pentax K-x and K7, the grip on K7 was so good over the K-x and that's it! I have gotten the K7 with its dual kit lens even though I prefer the K-x for the ISO performance. It was a great deal which I could not resist. I also got to know Scorpioh trying to understand what is shutter count and how to see it. Gosh..

Along the way, I continue to learn from the pentaxians, getting advice etc. During that time, Pentax K7 does have some limitations which I would try to find a roundabout of it. I also started off with hunting of Manual lenses as I could not afford the auto-focus lens after that huge investment in the system.

During this period, Doyle has joined me and Trowa followed suit and we started to join more of the outings. I controlled myself from upgrading to the Pentax K5 when it was launch and was finally willing to upgrade when the Pentax K5 Silver came out. Damn… I am a sucker for unique colours.
Then out came the Pentax K-01 (yellow), love the yellow colour again, I got it when it was launched.

My future buys would a Pentax Q10 and waits for FF of pentax. I really want to have a feel why everyone is looking forward to FF.

Sharing the shots I have took with Pentax K7, K5 and K-01

Pentax K7 - Takumar 83mm

Pentax K7 - Takumar 83mm

Pentax K5 - FA85mm

Pentax K5

Pentax K01 - DA15mm

Thanks for viewing.... Cheers to all...

sorry for the wall of text below.

My involvement with “photography” started in 2004 when I started my uni life. Back then I simply wanted to get a PNS camera just for the sake of owning one in case I need it, so I gotten myself a Panasonic DMC-LC70 (which is still working fine now). With the LC70, I manage to capture precious moments of my life.
I never thought of upgrading it till I went to the Singapore Airshow in Jan 2010. I realized that I needed something better to take nicer photos. So I started my research for a new camera online and decided that I should get myself a prosumer camera or DSLR. I tried asking a colleague (C user) to teach me more on DSLR but she wasn’t keen. Another colleague lent me a Panasonic FZ28 for a hands-on, the electronic viewfinder made me feeling dizzy after looking at it for a while. I need an optical viewfinder which the LC70 has it. By chance I discover the Pentax forum in ClubSnap and was rather surprise by the friendliness of it forumers compared to other forums. Pentax to me was an unknown brand though I have heard of it before. I enjoyed reading up the forum and looking at the fantastic photos taken by the k-7 and k-x. When I get to the shops to molest the 500D, 5000D and k-x, I really like the ergonomic design of the k-x and the fact that it uses AA batteries like my LC70. C and N users warned me of the limited lenses that Pentax has and the resale value, but it never bother me at all as I never thought of expanding my lenses collection and selling my camera. So on 1st April 2010, I’ve gotten myself a white k-x. The very next day, I want offshore fishing at Tanjung Pinang with my k-x. =p
4716325730_494b044c98_z.jpg

In Nov 2010, I went for my first ever solo backpacking trip to Hong Kong and Thailand. Throughout the trip, I had attracted quite a bit of attention with my white k-x. Strangers would approach me to ask about my white k-x, some would give me weird stares, some would praise it and some typical C&N users would criticized it (I’m getting used to this brand harassment).
5203122984_3b4bb8f29f_z.jpg

During my Hong Kong trip, I felt that I can do better with a fast lens for shots in the night markets and it happened that Emjay is having a promo for the DA35 F2.4 at Sitex 2010, so I got a friend to bought it for me without me trying it. It was a nice lens to have but I still prefer the flexibility of my kit zoom lens.
Subsequently I decided to get a longer zoom, so I bought a DAL 55-300mm for the purpose of “sniping” people on street and as a portrait lens.
8153621748_46ac36a306_z.jpg

This year March, I bought myself a Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6. With this new toy, I manage to took some nice photos when I joined SGTrekker for trips to Nepal and Siem Reap. During the trip, I met some great photographers who are always willing to share their knowledge.
8153609942_9308e1a98f_z.jpg

8065661813_8e89b70042_z.jpg

Being with Pentax gives me the steep learning curve with photography with the limited available lenses but at least it saves me from getting poisoned by C&N. I love my white k-x after surviving all the abuses I gave it (i.e. seawater during fishing trips, rain at Hort Park, snow in Nepal, trekking in Thailand). Bought a Yongnuo 560II recently and still exploring to use it effectively. =)

Last edited: