Your Pentax Story

My interest in photography began when I was on a trip to Beijing and Shanghai back in mid-2010. Took some photos of the Bund at night and seeing how beautiful the skyline is on TV, I anticipated and thought I'd get something good. However, the image on my digital compact was dismal. That made me want to get a dSLR upon return. I read somewhere (not CS) that Pentax K-X offers good value and at the same time I stumbled upon Clubsnap and then posted my burning question. You can still see my link, typical newbie questions. :bsmilie:

There was much selling from night86mare (now edutilos), pinholecam, flowerpot, Supersimon27 and among others to buy me in. Night86mare even provided many luring photos (of lenses), Supersimon27 shared his shots and pinholecam shared the Pentax outing shots with me. I was so close to buying Pentax. I felt quite welcomed and not being shot down for my silly questions which now when I look back I chuckle to myself.

In the end, I decided to get a Canon 1000D because I had some Canon lenses passed down from film cameras. Still remember pinholecam ask me to "Proceeds to the nearest office window and jumps out". :bsmilie:

After some time, I moved from 1000D to 60D to eventually 5D2. I only started being more active when I bought the 5D2, especially to learn more techniques in landscape and architectures. For the past 7 months which I began to be active, I kept asking myself whether this amount I spend is worthwhile. It is worthwhile from a spiritual enjoyment point of view, but in the end, I want to have more value for what I own. I guess in the end there is still a part of me that wanted to use a Pentax system. There is somehow a sense of simplicity without so many lenses to choose from. I pondered about the standard zoom, pondered about 17-40 vs 16-35, pondered about which version of the 70-200. It is a bottomless pit.

Going from FF back to cropped may not be as common as cropped to FF, but I am hoping to continue pursuing my learning with K5, having heard a lot about the dynamic range of the camera. Besides that, the 7 fps also impressed me. I'm not a portrait shooter, other than the casual portraits during events so for that, I figured I'd let my OM-D do the job. I don't need very shallow dof anyway.

I'm still looking for a Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6. :bsmilie: I'm itching to bring it out to test once i get the lens, will post photos once i bring it out to test!

I upgraded from Canon 5D2 to Pentax K5. Just to share the first few shots made by the camera and Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM. Still learning how to make good use of the dynamic range of the camera.

8221163186_a3426ff40d_z.jpg

8223427035_1e21bb4b90_z.jpg

8230089464_fdd20d38d2_z.jpg

8231747880_80a171f639_z.jpg

8231746115_a977cbb6cd_z.jpg

In the end, I decided to get a Canon 1000D because I had some Canon lenses passed down from film cameras. Still remember pinholecam ask me to "Proceeds to the nearest office window and jumps out". :bsmilie:

Aiyo!
You got it wrong..
After all the effort trying to persuade you and in the end you got something else, I meant
" I " - "Proceed to the nearest office window and jumps out". :bsmilie:

Anyway, I've seen your photos in the various threads.
Well done, no matter the camera! :)

pinholecam said:
Aiyo!
You got it wrong..
After all the effort trying to persuade you and in the end you got something else, I meant
" I " - "Proceed to the nearest office window and jumps out". :bsmilie:

Anyway, I've seen your photos in the various threads.
Well done, no matter the camera! :)

Hahahah no matter what the way u put it was very funny lah. Hahah. Thanks!

Mine is simple, wife want to buy dslr for me and she bought a Pentax.... :)

i recently purchased pentax k30 from e-offers pte ltd (? link with emjay)

loved it immediately.

a lot of people ask me why i use a brand that is so uncommon and rarely talked about

for me, pentax captures human spontaneity and warmth

proud to call myself a pentaxian

jan2013_5.jpg

jan2013_4.jpg

jan2013_3.jpg

jan2013_1.jpg

jan2013_2.jpg

I started with Canon + 4L lens. Cost me more than $10k.
But as the lens are expensive and white color and I like my things to be clear n mint condition. So I seldom use it
And they are all very heavy.

Soon I found out about olympus E3 and water resistant SWD lens
Olympus produce pro photos and half price of canon.
And so I change my whole system to Olympus. But as Olympus are not improving their E series. So I gave up.

Why I choose Pentax?
Price is compariable with Olympus. And most important its water resistance.

I always go to water park with my kids and some time standy under a super big bucket of water with my Pentax K5. And when the thousand of liters of water pour over me with my pentax. Alot of people look at me cos they think that im crazy .

And when my lens fog up externally . I just dip my lens into water and wash away the fog.

I believe no other brands can survive on how I treat my Pentax.

And when my lens fog up externally . I just dip my lens into water and wash away the fog.

I believe no other brands can survive on how I treat my Pentax.

For real?? Dip the lens into water and wash away the fog!!:eek::sweat:

Wow.I never know Pentax is that durable >.<

For real?? Dip the lens into water and wash away the fog!!:eek::sweat:

Wow.I never know Pentax is that durable >.<

Wats wrong with dipping the front lens elements into the pool to rinse off fog? :dunno:

Not that different from getting splashed in heavy rain imo...

U just cant submerge the whole camera under water.

I just bought a Pentax today !!!

K-30 Kit set. Hope to learn much from everyone here !!!

Welcome latest Pentax newcomer! Come and post ur Pentax story!

My story with Pentax is abit different, started only about 2 years ago after my son was born. Before that, photography to me is only admiring the works in National Geographic magazine and thinking "they must have lots of $ to buy expensive camera and a talent to shoot that!" while using a Sony P&S for family occasions/outing.

After our son was born, my wife asked me to research on buying a DSLR cos we see many parents using them and we assumed using one would definitely take good photos. So I researched/compared Canon 550D and Nikon 5100 at that time until my colleague told me of the Pentax K-x her brother just bought which she think is both good and budget friendly. So I read up on Pentax and decided to buy a Pentax K-r when it was announced, after minor confrontation with my wife why Pentax was my choice instead of Canon or Nikon.

Today, I am using K-r with DA35 f2.4 and a modified manual focus K-x (takes Nikon, Olympus, Yashica and Konica lenses as well). Loved Pentax even more after that modification.
Below is taken with K-x mounted with Nikon 28-70 AF-S f3.5-4.5.
picture51795.jpg

My story with Pentax is abit different, started only about 2 years ago after my son was born. Before that, photography to me is only admiring the works in National Geographic magazine and thinking "they must have lots of $ to buy expensive camera and a talent to shoot that!" while using a Sony P&S for family occasions/outing.

After our son was born, my wife asked me to research on buying a DSLR cos we see many parents using them and we assumed using one would definitely take good photos. So I researched/compared Canon 550D and Nikon 5100 at that time until my colleague told me of the Pentax K-x her brother just bought which she think is both good and budget friendly. So I read up on Pentax and decided to buy a Pentax K-r when it was announced, after minor confrontation with my wife why Pentax was my choice instead of Canon or Nikon.

Today, I am using K-r with DA35 f2.4 and a modified manual focus K-x (takes Nikon, Olympus, Yashica and Konica lenses as well). Loved Pentax even more after that modification.

Ah.. you shared at Pentaxforum and was featured about the modifications. :) Well done...... impressed by it :)

Wahhh....can do a piece for me hahahaha....thumbs up man....another talented pentaxians...cheers

I have a. Spare k-x .. would like to try multi mount too!!!