Your Income

You monthly income

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerOyster

May 11, 2008
touchy touchy...anyway here goes:

I had a debate with my colleagues today on the average monthly income (commission, allowances and bonus inclusive) of singaporeans. We tried googling for it but did not find any substantiated result. The Singapore govt never seems to give a definite figure (or maybe we did not search throughly). I have the impression it is about SGD2,000. some say lower some say higher. if i base it on my clique, i would say about SGD5,000, but i guess i have to take into consideration the mass majority.

I do admit by posting here will not result in an accurate result as photography is generally an expensive hobby which may result in higher income people participating, students aside. But since this is the only forum i visit (either i am damn lame or CS is damn good), i decided to give it a shot, regardless.

Please vote, only if you are gainfully employed, regardless of profession. Part-timers and temporary workers (no offence please, as i want the results to be as accurate as possible) please refrain from voting. Thank you and may your income be higher next year!

Last edited:
I'll be surprised if anybody will vote seriously...the nick will be shown IIRC.

I wanted to vote but I can't. Anyone know why?

Quite interested to see how this plays out actually.

I'll be surprised if anybody will vote seriously...the nick will be shown IIRC.

hmm...i IIRC there is an option not to show and i opted for that when i created the poll

Anyway, no obligations and it is purely for curiosity and arguement sake :)

I wanted to vote but I can't. Anyone know why?

Quite interested to see how this plays out actually.

i think you need a certain number of posts....

to add: Gross income before tax before CPF deductions.

can't vote......because didn't have the option of <$1,000

can't vote......because didn't have the option of <$1,000

shucks....don't know how to edit the poll, anyway thumps up for you for being so transparent :thumbsup:

I remembered reading a report from CPF (or is it MOM??) showing the medium income in Q1 2008 as 4.2k. It could be slightly lower now, given the financial climate we're in, but it's definitely higher than 2k.

I remembered reading a report from CPF (or is it MOM??) showing the medium income in Q1 2008 as 4.2k. It could be slightly lower now, given the financial climate we're in, but it's definitely higher than 2k.

i believe that is household income as the govt seldom publish individual income. given the HDB combined income ceiling of 8K to purchase its units, it would not be possible for 70% (approximately) of the population to qualify for HDB flats if individual income is 4.2k, resale excluding. if it is indeed 4.2K household income (based on young couple w/o dependents), it would then average to 2.1K per individual. of course then, household income would be greatly affected by the number of dependents in the family living in a nucleus family and as such, i am still curious to find out the individual average income of Singaporeans. cheers. :)

Last edited:
i believe that is household income as the govt seldom publish individual income. given the HDB combined income ceiling of 8K to purchase its units, it would not be possible for 70% (approximately) of the population to qualify for HDB flats, resale excluding. if it is indeed 4.2K household income (based on young couple w/o dependents), it would then average to 2.1K per individual. of course then, household income would be greatly affected by the number of dependents in the family living in a nucleus family and as such, i am still curious to find out the individual average income of Singaporeans. cheers. :)

For that (stats income on salary for HDB), this was asked before and responded in media late 2007 / early 2008. It will depend on alot of other factors. the 8k ceiling encourages certain sectors of the ppl to married earlier. Getting 8k gross household if u r in certain sectors is generally a norm.

FYI , this data is display for household income publicly in one of govt site (etc www.singstat.gov.sg). Google is your best friend too :) If you want to know average salary across jobs , www.salary.sg. For average individual income, i remember reading *some* of the data in a publish data under MOM for national income statistic few years back. It is in central library reference (cannot remember the actual title)

As for the poll , i doubt most will vote seriously. There is no guarantee absolute anonymous on any online poll with a register login. Even so, the vote will be skew as this forum caters to photographer / hobbyists and more pple in this forum may have certain discretionary income compare to some other demographic - poor sampling profile as it is not broad / random across society

Last edited:
For that (stats income on salary for HDB), this was asked before. It will depend on alot of other factors. the 8k ceiling encourages certain sectors of the ppl to married earlier. Getting 8k gross household if u r in certain sectors is generally a norm.

For the poll , i doubt most will vote seriously. There is no guarantee absolute anonymous on any online poll with a register login. Even so, the vote will be skew as this forum caters to photographer / hobbyists and more pple in this forum may have certain discretionary income compare to some other demographic.

FYI , this data is display for household income publicly in one of govt site. Google is your best friend :) If you want to know average salary across jobs , www.salary.sg. For individual income, i remember reading it in a publish data under MOM for national income few years back. It is in central library reference (cannot remember the actual title)

i believe i have stated that i admit the result of the poll in CS may not be accurate due to the stated reasons in my earlier post(s) but i am willing to live with that.

my opinion (which may not reflect yours or the rest in CS of course) of salary.com is that of a portal which canvases for information on local salary (which i am doing now) with possible vested commercial interests due to its numerous links to commercial organization. i am (no pun intended) skeptical of organizations with commercial vested interest.

Whether or not the 8k ceiling "encourages cetain sector to get married earlier" is not my primary concern and remains a debate. however my understanding of the 8K ceiling is to "control" the price of HDB flats from skyrocketting to ensure most, if not all, singaporeans to have the ability to own ""a place of their own" and to "provide affordable public housing" often preached by HDB. on a personal note, i wouldn't want to get married earlier just to buy a HDB if i know i have the potential to earn more by not settling down.

my objective (of leisure intention) is to find out the average income of singapoporeans via CS, non obligatory, and on individual income, not houshold. As stated earlier in my previous post, household income is affected by the number of dependents in a nucleus family, which i am not interested in, as one's household income can drop 30% due to a newborn which i have just experienced.

Also, please note this poll is not about whether there is a "guarantee on absolute anonymity". everyone is free to vote or not and is non obligatory.

cheers and may you earn more next year! :)

Last edited:
shucks....don't know how to edit the poll, anyway thumps up for you for being so transparent :thumbsup:

Me super poor...... my main job is to surf CS kopitam......but not paid......:(

Me super poor...... my main job is to surf CS kopitam......but not paid......:(

bro, a cup can be half empty or half full, why bother poor or not as long you have 3 meals and can enjoy surfing CS kopitiam?? :D

please continue to vote for those who have not. i found out the majority of the Csers are between 25-30 years old (rather young). most people's income peak at 40-50 years of age so please do not be discouraged if someone earns much more!

and may everyone earn more next year! :) cheers

You dun work for the IRAS do you?? Lol! Just kidding. :p

i cant even vote ..
:sweat:

Basic Pay of $1800++

Shift Allowance - Depends on your rotating Shift (I'm doing 7 type of shift).

Take home between $1700-$2000.... depending on OT or no OT.

And I don't think IRAS is so free as to 'SPY' on us here..... also that my company handle my TAX report..... IRAS knows everything. :sweat:

FYI , this data is display for household income publicly in one of govt site (etc www.singstat.gov.sg). Google is your best friend too :) If you want to know average salary across jobs , www.salary.sg. For average individual income, i remember reading *some* of the data in a publish data under MOM for national income statistic few years back. It is in central library reference (cannot remember the actual title)
I believe salary.sg gets its data from DOS too, so singstat.gov.sg is the place to go.

I found a recent paper "Key Household Income Trends, 2008", dated Jan 2009. It is up-to-date and should have the answer that the TS is looking for. Sometimes, it does not give the exact statistics, so you have to extrapolate somewhat.

Just to throw some random figures from the paper:

2008 median household income for resident household: $4,950
2008 average household income for resident household: $7,090

The paper does break down into per-household person, but you may want to get that figure from somewhere else (YOS, perhaps?) to do your own computation too.

Do survey here...most professional recession-proof photographers are earning 5-digit per month... my dream is to become a photographer :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.