Your hand in mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacaroonC

Jun 24, 2008
First attempt at this guys so hopefully I get this done according to the rules. This was a picture taken of my brother and son. And I felt it was especially emotive since the relationship between father and son usually becomes less and less communicative as the child grows older. This was taken at f/11, 1/8. I wanted to capture the silhouette against the setting sun. But everything turned out orange. (My mac's colours are also funny so am not sure what I'm really seeing.) So not sure what else I could do to bring out the clarity. Doesn't seem too sharp to me too. Help pls?

While_I_still_can_clubsnap.jpg

Last edited:
don't worry too much about the technicalities regarding sharpness or colour balance, as the composition is particularly interesting and meaningful if not a little sad and poignant. everything works so very well together: the reflection, warmth, the upright adult but fuzzy child, a setting sun over the sea, two window panes providing a divide in frame, a lone tree and finally, a little glimpse of the furniture indoors. even the un-sharpness is in your favour as it gives the feeling of a memory or dream. it's good how you avoided capturing yourself in the reflection too. the feel of the image is somewhat like from a movie, it's a great shot in my book, an emotional piece presented subtly. i sincerely hope your brother and nephew never have to look back at the picture and agree with it.

i agree that the composition is interesting. it does exude a mellow air of emotions. generally, i like the picture. however, i'm having a little bit of trouble finding the focal point of the picture. and if it had been posted without the writeup, i would actually be figuring out what you are trying to portray. perhaps if the pic had been taken with the focus sharp on the sillhouettes, it would be easier to figure out even without a writeup? just a thought..

I think it would look better sharper and without seeing the furniture inside...just purely the reflection of the people and scenery. and maybe crop out the right hand side where the hinges are... i feel there's a little too much detail for me and can be distracting....since your subject is mainly the bonding and the scenery....just my 2 cts..=)

hmm....when i see the pic the first thing i notice is the sunset...then the shadows...and finally the huge wooden frames..
this dun do for me...dun feel the emotions that you are feeling.

i agree that the composition is interesting. it does exude a mellow air of emotions. generally, i like the picture. however, i'm having a little bit of trouble finding the focal point of the picture. and if it had been posted without the writeup, i would actually be figuring out what you are trying to portray. perhaps if the pic had been taken with the focus sharp on the sillhouettes, it would be easier to figure out even without a writeup? just a thought..
yup that was my main concern with the picture and the real trouble with most of my pics in fact. I can't quite get the technicals right to accurately have the pic emote the way i feel. in this case perhaps the photoshopping too brought out some weird colour in the frames. can i ask what white balance for this kind of sunset would work better?

Status
Not open for further replies.