Your first impression of this picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soons

Mar 22, 2007
I wanted to improve myself in photography. I managed to take this picture this afternoon.

One of the Singapore Latest Taxi - Natural Gas...
Caught it speeding in rain and made my pants wet when it sped past me. ;(

062d4046.jpg

Picture is unedited, fresh from camera.
Any comments on how to make the picture better or nicer without any editing?:sweatsm:

Looks ok to me..But I am a newbie so don't trust me:)

"Any comments on how to make the picture better or nicer without any editing?'

wah, your standard very high leh. like tat is like tat, can alter, but pls dun change anything :bsmilie:.

sort of like dun put salt when frying vegetable but wan it to be salty.

not many ppl will shoot during a down pour, so i believe u ve already achieved a "rare" shot.

good or bad is subjective. but if i got a shot like this, i wun delete it.

first thought>> nothing special.

"Any comments on how to make the picture better or nicer without any editing?'

wah, your standard very high leh. like tat is like tat, can alter, but pls dun change anything :bsmilie:.

sort of like dun put salt when frying vegetable but wan it to be salty.

not many ppl will shoot during a down pour, so i believe u ve already achieved a "rare" shot.

good or bad is subjective. but if i got a shot like this, i wun delete it.
Thanks for ur reply.I guess u got my wrong meaning... :eek:

I am asking if a slightly different angle or different exposure can enhance the image and so on...
I do not have photoshops to edit my photos, at most Nero nia.... :eek:

FYI, I am a noob photographier... I keep feeling that some "feeling" is missing, so I decided to post here to see if there is any people can enlighten me some tips to improve my photography...

No offense... :)

what kinda comments you want?

underexposed.

no focus point.

not sharp.

i think i love the way it's gonna spray water on your pants. and may i know how come you're holding a dslr in the heavy rain? :bsmilie:

I am asking if a slightly different angle or different exposure can enhance the image and so on...

FYI, I am a noob photographier... I keep feeling that some "feeling" is missing, so I decided to post here to see if there is any people can enlighten me some tips to improve my photography...

get a more INTERESTING subject. an uninteresting subject no matter how you edit the picture, it will generally be a mundane shot.

what kinda comments you want?

underexposed.

no focus point.

not sharp.

i think i love the way it's gonna spray water on your pants. and may i know how come you're holding a dslr in the heavy rain? :bsmilie:
It is a Point & shoot camera... not dslr...
Olympus SP-550UZ
I was at the bus stop at that time waiting for bus.

Blowblue
I understand that this isn't an outstanding picture, that why I am asking how I can improve should I take another picture something like this...
Sorry if my boring title outrages u... cos I cannot think of a good title to describe this so I hamtam... maybe it is late and I am getting tired... :/

Olympus SP-550UZ

Blowblue
I understand that this isn't an outstanding picture, that why I am asking how I can improve should I take another picture something like this...
Sorry if my boring title outrages u... cos I cannot think of a good title to describe this so I hamtam... maybe it is late and I am getting tired... :/

ever heard of a technique called panning?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamed/282241413/

ever heard of a technique called panning?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamed/282241413/
Nope... First time hearing it...

It is using the camera to follow the moving object and when snapping, the object is clear while the background has motion blur effect, and shutter speed has to be set a bit low to achieve that effect... am I wrong??

I only heard and understand 1 technique call bokeh... or 3D depth field... or something like that...

Olympus SP-550UZ

Blowblue

oh well...another good place to read up about basics of photography shot techniques would be this
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/

here's a shot i made with a canon S50 point and shoot without tripod few years ago before i got bitten from photo bug. essentially it's a long exposure...reading guides helped me with understanding the camera.
362279419_be1539a67e.jpg

Nope... First time hearing it...

It is using the camera to follow the moving object and when snapping, the object is clear while the background has motion blur effect, and shutter speed has to be set a bit low to achieve that effect... am I wrong??

I only heard and understand 1 technique call bokeh... or 3D depth field... or something like that...

bingo>> your answer to panning.

bokeh cannot be achieved very well with p&s cameras. anyhow read up the guides...it takes probably a week to read up the basics of cameras and techniques before you can start to utilize your p&s camera well.

haha. indeed i got your meaning wrong cus i was only thinking about post process and not in camera. my mistake, really.

there are countless aspects of photography and the debates can go on forever.

but my current view is that any photo is a result of the intersaction between time and space. that is, a particular scene taken at a particular time, unique and can never be duplicated.

jus look at some old photographs. no special techniques, everyday subjects.

but can anyone take the same photo again? both time and space is no longer with us.

so, subject wise, u can be more liberal. the value of such record shot is not immediately apparent. let it age a few years (or even a few decades).

good try!

continue to enjoy photography :).

Thanks attap_seed and blowblue for spending time writting all these advices.
I believe that I gain a lot from this... man, changing camera liao...

Thanks attap_seed and blowblue for spending time writting all these advices.
I believe that I gain a lot from this... man, changing camera liao...

i dont think it is necessary to change the camera for dslr immediately. I think it is better to start to know the basic functions of your p&s camera: understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, ISO and available light. It will be an overkill by going to dslr if you dont know the basics. Besides it's somewhat better not to get bitten by photo bug..it's a really expensive hobby...$$:(

Then comes the hardest part of photography: framing a picture.

car in rain photo IS a very rare photo....so mayb its the subject...so if the exposure is better...photo not tilted...then to make it rarer n more interesting is too "catch" someone getting sprayed....for example :

sprayed.jpg

heehee..hope you dun mind i did some rough editing on your photo....;p

i would have loved this picture if it was really captured. Unforgettable moment. I do agree that a photo can sometimes increase its value over time as it does serve to document our life and experiences when we look back at these memories many years from now. Of course, i do not take fantastic pictures as well. :)

Gloved....
Nice edit!
I appreciate ur edit...
It seems to bring "Live" out from a dead picture. :)

BlowBlue:
Is this considered Panning?
5b8dfb6e.jpg

How shot taken:
On bus no 23, on my trip back from SLS to home @ Tampines, I set on the bus, camera on and daydream of what blowblue told me about Panning. Slow shutter speed, camera following the object and snap... Then I started to switch my camera to manual mode and started changing F values and shutter speed. Just then, this mitsubishi cantor sped past and happen to maintain the speed of the bus I am riding on. I begin aiming on my target, lowering my shutter speed and "SNAP"!

If you notice.. SBS never maintain their buses well, glass windows are horribly dirty.

Not exactly panning in this case... the road was simply moving too fast for you to catch at that shuttle speed. Panning is done at a stationary point whereas in your case you were moving together with the subject. Similar effect i suppose? But if you were really panning, EVERYTHING else besides your subject would be a blur... ie. the bus window :sweat:

Eh... just what i understand... do correct me if wrong :embrass:

i'm no expert, but i would probably shoot from a lower angle and zoom in more to crop away half the car so more attention to the water spray. maybe 3 burst shots with the vehicle coming in closer to convey movement / speed. and of course a higher or even slight overexposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.