Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

COBALT

Jan 15, 2004
Bukit Batok
www.flickr.com
to moderators : I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, if not kindly notify me :)

Am starting this thread to promote a sense of camaraderie amongst the Nikon users who own and still use Film SLR cameras. Some of you may also own DSLR's but for discussion sake lets keep this thread to just 1 favorite film slr.

My favorite Nikon SLR has to be the F3hp. I love how it looks! I love how it feels on my hands....solid...with just the right mass...the buttery smooth manual film winder...and the sound it makes when you press the shutter release...a very authoritative "CLUNK".

At times when i have Leica M envy...i will lock the mirror and use the distance scale on my manual lenses ( using hyperfocal focusing ) and you get a very nice & discreet ..."CLICK"

The version i use is the F3/T, which has a titanium body instead of the usual brass alloy. I have done away with the standard K screen and instead use the H1 red dot focusing screen, which i find very bright and easy to focus with.

What is your favorite nikon SLR? ;)

FM3A for me... most enjoyable camera to use. Sold it many years back with regrets. I use a F100 for my film work now... :thumbsup:

F90s of course ..... it's like a 'tank' - very robust gear and fit very nicely in my hand. Using it for more than 10 years without any single failure ......

I currently own an F6, which I completely enjoy using. Particularly like using manual focus lenses on it -- the AIS 28mm f2.8 and the recently acquired AIS 35mm f1.4. The electronic rangefinder is simply excellent, which makes MF very easy. The viewfinder is big and bright, which helps too. Yes it was pricey even second-hand but no other camera, digital or film, has come close to it for me. I think of it as the best camera I'll ever use. Almost sold it last year due to lack of usage, and I'm glad that no one met my price.

(And pls don't call the D700 a digital F6...if you've actually used the F6 before, you will know the difference!)

I bought an F3HP last year. Love the look but never quite took to it in actual field usage. The F6 is just more ergonomic and easy to use, plus it weighs the same. So sadly, I sold the F3 in the end.

F100, because it is like the cheaper lite version of an F5.

Ryan

i've only ever used an FM3a before, and i must say, it really makes you think through before you shoot.
and not to mention it's solid metal built!

I've always been curious just how "quiet" is the F6. I had read in the brochures that the components have been refined to reduce mechanical noise to a minimum. As a F6 user, what is the closest Nikon DSLR you can compare the shutter / mirror noise to? :)

I currently own an F6, which I completely enjoy using. Particularly like using manual focus lenses on it -- the AIS 28mm f2.8 and the recently acquired AIS 35mm f1.4. The electronic rangefinder is simply excellent, which makes MF very easy. The viewfinder is big and bright, which helps too. Yes it was pricey even second-hand but no other camera, digital or film, has come close to it for me. I think of it as the best camera I'll ever use. Almost sold it last year due to lack of usage, and I'm glad that no one met my price.

(And pls don't call the D700 a digital F6...if you've actually used the F6 before, you will know the difference!)

I bought an F3HP last year. Love the look but never quite took to it in actual field usage. The F6 is just more ergonomic and easy to use, plus it weighs the same. So sadly, I sold the F3 in the end.

to moderators : I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, if not kindly notify me :)

Am starting this thread to promote a sense of camaraderie amongst the Nikon users who own and still use Film SLR cameras. Some of you may also own DSLR's but for discussion sake lets keep this thread to just 1 favorite film slr.

My favorite Nikon SLR has to be the F3hp. I love how it looks! I love how it feels on my hands....solid...with just the right mass...the buttery smooth manual film winder...and the sound it makes when you press the shutter release...a very authoritative "CLUNK".

At times when i have Leica M envy...i will lock the mirror and use the distance scale on my manual lenses ( using hyperfocal focusing ) and you get a very nice & discreet ..."CLICK"

The version i use is the F3/T, which has a titanium body instead of the usual brass alloy. I have done away with the standard K screen and instead use the H1 red dot focusing screen, which i find very bright and easy to focus with.

What is your favorite nikon SLR? ;)

Hey same here! Currently using a F3 which Ive acquired last year and I'm loving it! Very robust and solid, the form factor is really something different compared to my D90. Using it with the AIS glasses my dad has.

Like the flexilibilty the flagship F provides, can change finder (looking for a DW3) and screens. Btw, where did you obtain your H1 screen? care to share?

I also looking forward to purchasing a F100/F5 in the future! :devil:

You can try Ron's camera #B1-31 at Adelphi, across from Funan Center. He seems to stock the most F3's. I saw that he has focusing screens too.

I got mine thru Ebay ;) and there are quite a few DW3 waist-level finders listed.

Hey same here! Currently using a F3 which Ive acquired last year and I'm loving it! Very robust and solid, the form factor is really something different compared to my D90. Using it with the AIS glasses my dad has.

Like the flexilibilty the flagship F provides, can change finder (looking for a DW3) and screens. Btw, where did you obtain your H1 screen? care to share?

I also looking forward to purchasing a F100/F5 in the future! :devil:

sadly, i did not own a F3 before. i started off with FM2, than F4E and F5.. to date, i still keep my FM2 with drive and F5. i would say of these 3 nikon film bodies i had used, i prefer the FM2 and F5, but to choose only 1, F5 slightly edge over the FM2 for its grip.

I've always been curious just how "quiet" is the F6. I had read in the brochures that the components have been refined to reduce mechanical noise to a minimum. As a F6 user, what is the closest Nikon DSLR you can compare the shutter / mirror noise to? :)

Actually I'm afraid I don't really have an answer to that... the difference is probably not that great, I suppose? I have the impression that the D40X I have is quieter. Perhaps it's because the mirror is smaller. But I do find the F6 mirror/shutter sound extremely deep and robust.

I did notice that the F3 is louder than the F6 or any DSLR I've tried though...

The Nikon RS AF, cos it's the most robust Nikon film SLR and can go under water ;)

My first and "last" SLR Nikon FG black noir. Entry level, light weight, compact comes w 50mm 1.8, 35-105 w macro and sb15 flash.

My favorite why? sold my Dlsr for it....how can i let go a 25 years of partnership with my FG. every time i hold it, flashes back all the memories.

nikon F4. simply the best :eek::eek::eek:

Me.. FM2 since 1992 when i was a student in NAFA. It was a gift from my dad. Still have it with me.

Also memorable summer holidays in italy in 2001 using it with my EX.

Last edited:
I d say the BEST so far is the FA. i use a black one together with the dedicated MD-15 and its superb. very fast and responsive, and solid. the only thing that would make me look else where is the not-100% viewfinder. put it together with the 50 1.2 AIS or 135 f2 AIS and its definitely the best for me =)

I have yet to try the F3, passed on it cos it was abit chunky but will try one out soon. i really enjoyed the F2(BIG vf), but always ended up with the FA instead cos of the matrix metering.

I think the most chio nikon is the chrome Nikomat FTN. so simple and sleek. i love the positioning of the shutter speed selector at the lens mount. that way you dont have to remove my finger from the release to change shutter speed.

Mine fav would still be the F3HP.....
1) Dropped it several times and it still survived.
2) Go into extreme cold temperature can still switch to mechanical shutter when the battery 'freezes'!
3) My first cam that offers me multiple exposure function.
4) Gone out fishing with me for years, sprinkled with seawater, rain and occasional sand and it still survived.
5) Bashed against rocks afew times when climbing a mountains (those small ones in this region)
6) After all these years it is still neat looking and it works well just by itself, until I had the MD4, after that don't want to take it off anymore...:bsmilie:

Truly a workhorse..........but alas, like all good things must come to an end someday. After almost 20yrs, internal circuitry is clonking off, one after another........:cry:

Last edited:
definitely the F3HP. i love the FM3a also but sold it after i got the F3HP.

My current crop:

Film_Nikons.jpg

Left: FG, EL2, FE2; Right: Nikomat FT2, Nikon F Photomic FTn

How to define favourite?

Lusted for? Nikomat FT2 - was a student and can't afford a Nikon or Nikomat or Nikkormat. One of my classmate's father had a photo studio and she had this one... I had to buy one used when I had the cash.

Lusted but never had? FE.

Sense of history? What else but the original Nikon F, the one I have is the Nikon F Photomic FTn, circa 1969. That's 41 years old, still accurate and reliable. Not the most ergonomic piece of beast, but certainly the Vietnam war veteran and the original.

My first? That's the FE2. My first camera when I could squeeze out enough cash to buy one (body only, had to live with a Soligor lens and a Sunpak flash, off closure sale of some shop in Lucky Plaza). If you do you math you will know that I lusted for a Nikon for 9 years from FT2 to FE to FE2.

Most used? That's the F801 and F801s. These two went through countless weddings. I remember the days when I had the latest AF camera, but had AI 28mm f/2.8, AI 50mm f/1.4 and AIS 105mm f/2.5. LOL. Loved that spot meter, though.

Most traveled with? FG. Smallest full feature Nikon SLR (EM does not have manual exposure, FG-20 not TTL flash). Was with AI 20mm f/3.5, AIS 50mm f/1.8 and AIS 105mm f/2.5 at a time when I was using F70 as my film camera.

Also loved the Nikon EL2, but used sparingly. Also used the FM but never did like manual exposure with LED readout that much (Nikon F and Nikomat FT2 were centre-the-needle type metering.

Today all digital. Film is for me curiosity and history, nostalgic and memory.

Last edited: