Your DVD brand of choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Apr 25, 2002
singapore
www.larryloh.com
Not sure if this has been discussed before, I did a search and nothing came up.

What brand of DVD media do you all use for backing up your files? I've been getting cyclic redundancy data errors on a few of my disks and it's apparently due to scratches and/or poor quality disks. Getting quite frustrated cos it's a waste of effort, both in burning the DVDs and trying to retrieve the 'lost data'. Anyone using any archival quality DVDs to back up? any recommendations or thoughts on this?

Mitsubishi Azo Dye discs. Works fine for me, a year old DVD-Rs are still alive for me.

using TDK dvd-r. it is what i use, not necessarily my brand of choice.

Cost notwithstanding, what are the best DVDs to use (also referred to as archival quality DVDs) by Larry - I hope to find somethign that is very reliable and will not fail.

Larry said:
Not sure if this has been discussed before, I did a search and nothing came up.

What brand of DVD media do you all use for backing up your files? I've been getting cyclic redundancy data errors on a few of my disks and it's apparently due to scratches and/or poor quality disks. Getting quite frustrated cos it's a waste of effort, both in burning the DVDs and trying to retrieve the 'lost data'. Anyone using any archival quality DVDs to back up? any recommendations or thoughts on this?

vince123123 said:
Cost notwithstanding, what are the best DVDs to use (also referred to as archival quality DVDs) by Larry - I hope to find somethign that is very reliable and will not fail.
thanks for all the replies and input. yah, actually vince123123 got it right, i'm asking which are the really quality stuff to use and where they are available from. I did a search and it seems Kodak Gold (which is discontinued) and Mitsui Gold are the best. Maxell has a 'pro' grade DVD-R range and Verbatim also seems quite reliable.

shopping around now cos I'm quite tired of dealing with data errors. once bitten, twice shy... ;P

Larry said:
thanks for all the replies and input. yah, actually vince123123 got it right, i'm asking which are the really quality stuff to use and where they are available from. I did a search and it seems Kodak Gold (which is discontinued) and Mitsui Gold are the best. Maxell has a 'pro' grade DVD-R range and Verbatim also seems quite reliable.

shopping around now cos I'm quite tired of dealing with data errors. once bitten, twice shy... ;P
I can spare you a few Mitsubishis DVD-Rs to try if you want, you know where to pick them up from ;)

espn said:
I can spare you a few Mitsubishis DVD-Rs to try if you want, you know where to pick them up from ;)
thanks for the offer! i'll let you know if i'm in your area... :D

Sorry if this sounds abit OT, but juz wondering which DVD type is more suitable for backing up data and photos?

DVD+R or DVD-R?? thanx.

If you wanna be safe... backup to both formats. Ah! Yes... think there another; DVD RAM.

yyD70S said:
If you wanna be safe... backup to both formats. Ah! Yes... think there another; DVD RAM.

thanx but i would prefer to stick to one type.. :)

Currently, the better discs are using mitsubishi azo dye.
You find them branded under mitsubishi, TDK(some batches), or Verbatim. The identifying code is MCC02 (4x), MCC03(8x) or MCC04(16x).

thanks for all the info. i'll certainly take a look around in Sim Lim to compare brands and prices. seems like Mitsubishi is popular here...

MCC03 mostly. DVD+R from Mitsubishi.
Don't really like DVD-R. Somehow my (and I think most) DVD writer make better quality DVD+R than DVD-R

Ya do agree with DVDude about the error. I met bad experiences while using a stack of newly bought DVD-R. After burning images with verifying made. The images cannot be read 1 week later...I've to try & try & after numerous effort to resaved them on to DVD+R.

That's the last time I'll be using Maxwell DVD-R...I'm using Imation DVD+R for 2 months now with no complains (touch wood).

Anything from Taiyo Yuden. The last time I checked only older "Made in Japan" Fujifilm DVD +/- disks are TYs. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.