Your choice of site for uploading/linking photos?

keithwee

Staff member
Aug 20, 2010
LittleRedDot
Hi all,

This qn just popped into my mind today and I'm curious about it.

There r many active users here who often share their great works and I guess most use the flickr service (which after the revamp is pretty good)

I'm using Facebook as a way to link my photos. main reason being :

(1) there's no limit to upload/download quotas

(2) I had my photos stolen beforehand for some websites and brochures and after I realized FB resizes photos to around max 150kb in size, I went over to FB. Trade off is obviously pic quality suffers but for a see see function , it's still all right.

having a max 150kb resolution photo limits a lot coming to what how it can be used.

Anyone can share their photo sharing websites and why ?

Facebook compresses your photographs so image quality is very much compromised, especially for detailed photographs. Their compression algorithm is also over-aggressive I find.

I prefer to use Flickr.

Facebook compresses your photographs so image quality is very much compromised, especially for detailed photographs. Their compression algorithm is also over-aggressive I find.

I prefer to use Flickr.

Agree also use Flickr

I use/prefer photobucket.

Facebook for private use. Photobucket and picasa web albums for the rest. Picasa I find more forum-sharing friendly to me.

Dropbox and Dropbox's Gallery feature.

Facebook compresses your photographs so image quality is very much compromised, especially for detailed photographs. Their compression algorithm is also over-aggressive I find. I prefer to use Flickr.

Agree with this , it's a discernible quality difference between my original shots and FB linked shots.
Hmm...

Agree with this , it's a discernible quality difference between my original shots and FB linked shots.
Hmm...

If you are worried about things getting stolen, then make the size smaller and put a watermark. You can and should try to make the watermark as inconspicuous as possible.

I think I care less about the photos being stolen rather than people profiteering from it. A limited size will ensure that they will not be able to make much money from it.

If you are worried about things getting stolen, then make the size smaller and put a watermark. You can and should try to make the watermark as inconspicuous as possible.

I think I care less about the photos being stolen rather than people profiteering from it. A limited size will ensure that they will not be able to make much money from it.

thanks :) na... it was a once-off only and not much loss on my side other than being happy someone saw my photos as good enough to plagiarize haha.
Prob will shift towards using Flickr and take some time fiddling with it. FB's really not a prime choice as a host for photo links over to Clubsnap.

Photobucket.
Never ever worried anyone will "steal" my photos. They are not good enough to steal.

thanks :) na... it was a once-off only and not much loss on my side other than being happy someone saw my photos as good enough to plagiarize haha.
Prob will shift towards using Flickr and take some time fiddling with it. FB's really not a prime choice as a host for photo links over to Clubsnap.

You're welcome.

Flickr for free users is now quite a good deal, especially if you resize for posting online. You get 1TB free of charge, and you can dictate the quality. Just resize to the size you intend to post, and make sure you link the original file uploaded. Even with the most detailed landscape photographs, 1000 pixels should be at best 1.2MB, so that's a lot of space FOC. Doubt you'd finish it unless you machine gun a lot.

Hope you have fun in Flickr! It's also a pretty decent socializing community as well, though there is a buddy culture going on for quite a while now, i.e. you comment on mine and fave mine, I will comment on yours and fave yours, so we can both go to the Explore stream. :bsmilie: That said, of course, not everything in Explore gets there because of such practices.

Using Flickr and 500px but siding more with the former as I can replace the photos(if I find any fault with them) without having to create a new upload.

I use Flickr, 500px, and started to try 1x. I still prefer Flickr, for all the elites that chide it for being more amateur and social than pro, I still find it a great way to share, and view photos. 500px is becoming worse than Flickr in terms of spamming for votes, I don't know how they fix that, everyone wants their photo in the popular page. I also like Flickr for the stats page (for legacy pro accounts only now), and also I like the fact that it can act as a backup, not that I use it in that way, but in a worst case scenario where my two back up drives and my laptop fail, then at least I've got some photos!

I agree that Facebook is not great for quality, I especially find this for dark shots like at night, the shadows get pixelated and blocky when uploaded.

500px is pretty bad IMO. It compresses way too much, only slightly better than FB. Doesn't accept .PNG as well. I stopped paying after a year. The portfolio is pretty nice concept and design though.

flickr is good, but it's too cluttered with links that don't matter. flickr compresses the photos too, and encodes all to JPEG (I usually upload in PNG).

The only one that doesn't compress at all is Dropbox. So I'm now using the gallery function of dropbox and linking people from FB to there lol. Once brace.io is up, should be using it with dropbox as the database.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree about the 500px compression. I've uploaded some film shots to flickr and 500px, and in 500px some of the edges are softened compared to flickr.

If you don't want the social aspect of photo sharing then your Dropbox suggestion is a good idea.