Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
I want to get a DSLR. Am eyeing a particular model. Someone asks me (and I have no doubt more people will ask in the future), "Why you want to buy 6 megapixels? Nowadays got 8 megapixels already what...."

Is there a convenient/easy way to explain the differences between a DSLR and a compact/prosumer camera? I'm kinda tired having to explain the concept of sensor sizes to laypeople every time they ask me the same question (which usually follows "your camera how many megapixels?").

What would you do/say?

Most have the thinking that higher megapixel counts = better images.
Just need to let them see the different to convince them.

Only when i took my 1st pic of the CBD skyline and view on computer then i was like "WOW!"

synapseman said:
I want to get a DSLR. Am eyeing a particular model. Someone asks me (and I have no doubt more people will ask in the future), "Why you want to buy 6 megapixels? Nowadays got 8 megapixels already what...."

Is there a convenient/easy way to explain the differences between a DSLR and a compact/prosumer camera? I'm kinda tired having to explain the concept of sensor sizes to laypeople every time they ask me the same question (which usually follows "your camera how many megapixels?").

What would you do/say?

this is like you buy thousand dollar mountainbike and pple buy the cheapo 99 dollar bike and laugh at you saying their bike have same spec as yours and your bike dun even have a kick stand while their 99 dollar bike have...... Anyways, i got that too often... So i just tell them... no money buy 8mp camera...... try that pple actually buy that story..... :bsmilie:

there was once i was trying to help a group of friends take picture during tour, took out my compact nikon 2mp camera.

lady friend ask "how many mp?" :think:
me "2mp, why?" :confused:
lady friend "alamak, like that better use my 4mp to take, later your one not nice!" :eek:

me ""

Huh...? Y do you have to explain to them? It's u who are buying a DSLR .. not them. How come need to justify your purchase? Only you know why u getting into DSLR right?

Digital photography can be a 5 cent thing or something so technical you need lots of reading and doing! No point explaining to people who are not technically inclined. To begin with, these people I bet think u are nuts to pay $2k+ for a body without lens! And lenses costing thosands of $...

For me, I think it's nuts to pay $60k for a jap saloon car here. But that's me. I can't apprreciate it.. so u shouldn't waste time convincing me! Only those who bought such cars can justify themselves... so only u can justify your own actions right? :p

As for diff betn DSLR and compact cam, whoaaa.. so many it'll take hours to list them all down. Show them your pics!!

idor said:
Anyways, i got that too often... So i just tell them... no money buy 8mp camera...... try that pple actually buy that story..... :bsmilie:

Haha...this is a good one! :thumbsup:

No need spend so much time and energy trying to explain the difference between a 8mp P&S versus a 6mp DSLR, since they probably won't understand anyway.

Or you can be a nice fella and give an impromtu lecture on the difference between P&S and DSLRs - and bringing home the point that "megapixels" is not everything.

kiwi2 said:
To begin with, these people I bet think u are nuts to pay $2k+ for a body without lens! And lenses costing thosands of $...

Sorry ah, the DSLR I'm looking at is cheap-cheap one. Less than 1.5k. With lens.

(How come your lens only 18-70mm? Mine 28-420mm, leh!) :p

Not forgetting about dynamic contrast. That's a major factor in DSLR.

just smile....and choose to educate if you think they are willing to learn the difference bet DSLR 6mp vs digicam 8mp etc. Otherwise don't bother.

Astin said:
Show them the price tag...
:bsmilie: But they might think we are silly to spend more on a cam with less MP.
Usually when such people see my lens, they have to pick their jaws off the floor before they can make such remarks.

Hi Synapseman,

The digital bug has finally hit you huh? Oh well, your tokina 19-35 might feel a little weird on the 1.6 crop. Anyway, Minolta 5D seems like a great combo with your tokina.

Back to the topic, if any salesmen ask me those silly questions, I'll just I am a student so budget constraint. Not that student from CS though(no offence, just kidding!). Cheers!

synapseman said:
Sorry ah, the DSLR I'm looking at is cheap-cheap one. Less than 1.5k. With lens.

(How come your lens only 18-70mm? Mine 28-420mm, leh!) :p

Oh 2nd hand!

Just show 'em your pics... If they (or u yrself) are not convinced, then time to work on your skills. ;p

synapseman said:

What would you do/say?

Dun need to explain cos it is very diffuclt to explain.
If you insist to explain, just show them the picture.

As there is a saying, "a picture tells a thousand words"

tried to explain ... they couldn't understand the technical side .. :confused: ...

in the end ...i let them compare their 7/8mp pics from their compact with my 6mp dslr pics ...

after that they say its the cam good ... :dunno:

and said if i put the same expensive cam in their hands they also can produce that kind of pics ...

let them take a few test shots and review then they say the cam lousy cos their pics lousy ...

what to do? ..

Jus tell them wat's important is the skills of the person behind the camera, if he's not good at taking pics, eventhough he's using the most expensive/megapix camera, the results will be disastrous..

Though equipment plays an important role in photography but skills and experience r the most precious and essential things..

Jus my personal opinion..

Status
Not open for further replies.