Young women in Singapore earning almost as much as men

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin

Jun 4, 2005
TPY
By Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 02 October 2007 2118 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore's women in their 20s are earning 98 percent of what their male counterparts do.

This was revealed by the Minister of State for Community Development, Youth and Sports at a news conference on Tuesday.

But, Mrs Yu-Foo Yee Shoon said, there is more to be done. She said the main challenge now is to get older women to re-join the workforce.

Animah Gani is the first woman Registrar of the Syariah Court. She is seen as an example of women who have gained equality at the workplace.

Animah is also a member of the Singapore delegation to the UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), which took place from 23 July to 10 August in New York.

The convention recognised that Singaporean women have economic and political opportunities that are comparable to their male counterparts.

In fact, the UN's Gender Empowerment Measure ranks Singapore sixth out of 175 countries.

But recent numbers from Singapore's Manpower Ministry showed that across the age groups, women still earned less than men.

This was particular so for women aged above 60. They earned 67 percent of what their male counterparts did.

The Manpower Ministry said this is because women often re-enter the workforce only after their children have grown up. So they do not have the skills and experience to command a higher pay.

Mrs Yu-Foo Yee Shoon said: "We are going to focus on these areas, to work with NTUC and Ministry of Manpower, and they have already set up the Tripartite Committee. So for us, it's more of mindset change.

"We will work with Mr Lim Boon Heng's Ministerial Committee on Ageing to see how we can work with the People's Association and woman groups to reach out to the older women, how to help them to re-enter the workforce."

The Singapore delegation to CEDAW will also look into various other initiatives, including helping women to achieve better work-life balance. - CNA/ir

:bigeyes: well done ladies!:thumbsup: Guys better buck up!:bsmilie: JIA YOU Ba!!!:cheergal:

Look on the bright side... Women earning on par with men. Meaning Women pay increase
Look on the Down side... Women earning on par with men. Meaning Men getting pay cut.
Look on the Realistic side... Women earning on par with men. Meaning Women are getting more capable than men...

Look on the bright side... Women earning on par with men. Meaning Women pay increase
Look on the Down side... Women earning on par with men. Meaning Men getting pay cut.
Look on the Realistic side... Women earning on par with men. Meaning Women are getting more capable than men...

(if u are married)

Look 0 ft under... You still have to pay for their meals, movie tickets, pop corn, and give them a ride home...

Look 3 ft under... You still lppl have to give 1/2 your assets and pay matrimony even if she earn more than u...

Look 6 ft under... You still have to give her all your assets and you might not get a nice grave after all...

Look 18 ft under and beyond... You still have to get nagged and suffer for rest of eternity if she joins you... and gets more hell money when your kids prefer mom to dad...

Life sucks, but for anything else...

Vote me for the Man's Charter President... I'll fight for our man's rights, as well as mine... :bsmilie:

we men are screwed. :sweat:

In Singapore, young women have an advantage - for the same age male and female (eg. take a 26 year old female and 26 year old male), in general the 26 year old female should be earning more than the 26 year old male, since the female has 1.5 - 2 years more work experience than the male.

Hey, I wouldn't half mind if women earn three times as much as men.

Gives us an excuse to be house-husbands! :thumbsup:

actually women in their early 20s are earning many times more then the men of the same age.

how much can a NSF earn?
why would these women want to date these NSF men?

In Singapore, young women have an advantage - for the same age male and female (eg. take a 26 year old female and 26 year old male), in general the 26 year old female should be earning more than the 26 year old male, since the female has 1.5 - 2 years more work experience than the male.

you forgot males has NS allowance when they join the workforce.
that's about 10-15% more IIRC.

and WHY is it even surprising(thread title)?
unless you guys always think we females should earn less than you.

no?

Hey, I wouldn't half mind if women earn three times as much as men.

Gives us an excuse to be house-husbands! :thumbsup:

then they divorce u, u sleep roadside... re-enactment of the woman of 50s or 60s...

before that, please let me pass the bill for Men's Charter...

(if u are married)

Look 0 ft under... You still have to pay for their meals, movie tickets, pop corn, and give them a ride home...

Look 3 ft under... You still lppl have to give 1/2 your assets and pay matrimony even if she earn more than u...

Look 6 ft under... You still have to give her all your assets and you might not get a nice grave after all...

Look 18 ft under and beyond... You still have to get nagged and suffer for rest of eternity if she joins you... and gets more hell money when your kids prefer mom to dad...

Life sucks, but for anything else...

Vote me for the Man's Charter President... I'll fight for our man's rights, as well as mine... :bsmilie:

I IS SUPPORT YOU !!!
icon11.gif

Remove annuality as well ?

:D

then they divorce u, u sleep roadside... re-enactment of the woman of 50s or 60s...

before that, please let me pass the bill for Men's Charter...

Ah no probs - I wouldn't mind half her assets in a divorce either! :bsmilie:

no?

Have meh? I have changed 3 jobs, but never hear employer mentioned abt the 10-15% more leh?? anyone does??

Oh, OK, didn't know that... not local.

no?

Actually, for me it was surprising as I was expecting young women to be earming more than their male counterparts.

chay ... annuity lah, what annuality :confused: i search on dictionary.com the website asks if i was searching for the word ''anality'' http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/annuality :bsmilie:

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.