Young sucide trends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nisa

Aug 13, 2004
12-year-old commits suicide; parents watch in horror

His parents were waiting to fetch him to school when they saw him jump. Blood spurted everywhere. -ANN

Fri, Sep 05, 2008
China Daily, ANN

CHINA - Everything seemed brand new in the bright autumn morning at a quiet residential district in Shanghai.

But it was not for 12-year-old Xiao Fan (not his real name).

Dressed in his new school uniform, his parents waiting downstairs to accompany him to school, he decided to kill himself, which he did by jumping from a window six stories up.

The scene was not nice.

With blood shooting everywhere, the screams of his sorrowful parents ripped apart the tranquillity of the morning.

His two grandparents were left paralyzed at the blood-inked spot for hours and refused to leave.

This was the fourth attempted suicide by a middle school student in Shanghai since the new semester began on Sept 1.

While the other three kids survived, Xiao Fan, unfortunately, did not.

His parents and teachers were left heartbroken.

He was just a very lovely and docile boy, good at his studies and friendly to everyone, local newspapers quoted his teachers and neighbors as saying.

The reason for Xiao Fan's death is still unknown.

Most attempted suicides are usually a result of something almost trivial, such as a child being scolded by a parent or teacher.

Yet those seemingly trivial annoyances might be destructive for teenagers who can never manage stresses as well as adults, Xu Weisu, an expert in teenage psychological matters at East China Normal University said.

The increasing pressure and worsening family ties have become the foremost reasons behind the many unwanted death, he said.

We have been long hearing of university students killing themselves, and now the huge pressure is moving on to adolescents, he said.

While performance of study has been the prevailing indicator to mark a good student or not under the exam-oriented promotion system, many kids who not good at study fail to win recognition from society, which could be a heavy blow for them at the every crucial stage of confidence building, Xu said.

In addition, failure to feel loved by their parents is also a significant reason, Xu said.

A survey by the Children and Youngsters Heath Research Center of Peking University in Beijing in 2005 showed that one in five students in the country have thought of killing themselves.

"The other day I talked with my boy about death and life, and to my surprise, he said death is nothing to fear as it only meant there was no longer blood," Wu Jin, a father from Nanjing, capital of Jiangsu province, said.

Jiang Weimei, a psychologist from Shanghai, said the children's self-centeredness has led to the fact that they never sense how sorrowful their death would be to their parents.

In Shanghai, with the help of municipal education authorities, Xu's team, in collaboration with a Hong Kong young development foundation, is promoting a new mechanism that will help single out students who need psychological help through questionnaires.

Source : - http://www.asiaone.com/print/News/Education/Story/A1Story20080905-86029.html

Teen leapt to death over CCA

Depressed and suicidal, he did not make his feelings or intentions known until the last day of his life. -AsiaOne

Thu, Nov 27, 2008
AsiaOne

No one would have thought Tan Wen Yi was a depressed or troubled teen. A Secondary 3 student of Anglo-Chinese School (Independent), Wen Yi was often described as a cheerful student who was respectful to teachers, and well-liked by fellow school-mates.

However, on 13 Feb this year, the 15-year-old student jumped to his death when he did not get approval from his teacher and parents to quit his co-curricular activity (CCA), track-and-field.

Wanted to switch to drama

The incident happened around 9pm at his home, a condominium located along Stevens Road.

What is known is that from the start, Wen Yi was unhappy about being in the track-and-field team and frequently missed training practices as a result. The situation improved a little when he began to do well in the sport, clinching 2 individual medals in the process.

He had expressed his wish to switch to another CCA, but was met with disapproval from both his teacher and parents.

On the day of the 13th, the teacher-in-charge of Wen Yi's CCA, Mr Ng Yeong Joo, 38, saw him in playing soccer in school with friends instead of attending practice. When confronted, Wei Yi revealed his unhappiness and expressed his wish to transfer to the drama club instead. However, this was met with disapproval from the teacher, as he advised him not to.

After the teacher had left, Wen Yi turned to his soccer buddies and confided that he was sick of attending training four times a week as punishment for his truancy, and expressed that he "wanted to die". Brushing off his comment as a joke, the friends continued with their game.

Final words

While on the way home at around 6pm that day, Wen Yi's friend, who accompanied him on the journey back, did not detect anything amiss during their conversation. Nothing was out of the ordinary, as they talked and joked as usual.

When Wen Yi got home at about 8.10pm that night, he told his parents that he had lost his interest in running, and insisted on making the switch to drama instead. However, his mother tried to dissuade him.

Dejected, Wen Yi's last words to his mother before returning to his room was, "I'd planned to do this in March, but i will do it now."

Sensing something was amiss, his mother quickly followed him into his room. She entered just in time to see Wen Yi climbing up the window ledge and pushing the window open before jumping down. She rushed forward to try and grab him, but it was too late.

Still in his school uniform when he jumped, Wen Yi was pronounced dead on the scene by paramedics.

He made plans for last day of his life

Just a day before his death, Wen Yi had messaged his friend at around 5.47pm, extending an invitation to join him in a "crime spree". Wen Yi was alleged to have text messaged his friend that on the last day of his life, he would commit a series of law-breaking activities, "letting the world know of my crazy deeds", before ending his life by jumping off a building. He went on to add, "As my friend, will you join me?"

Concerned, Wen Yi's friend spoke to him about the message the next day. It was then that Wen Yi told him he was tired and found life meaningless. During their conversation, Wen Yi also revealed that he would carry out his "plan" in March. His friend tried to console him, and told him to push any suicidal thoughts out of his head. Sadly, his words went unheeded.

source : -http://www.asiaone.com/print/News/Education/Story/A1Story20081127-103764.html

I think part of the problem is the stigma associated with mental illness.

Most of them suffer in silence.

Part of those who suffer in silence are in denial or perhaps even they themselves do not realize that mental illness is considered a clinical illness (not just psychological)

These people need help!

Friends and families should play a more suppportive role. :s

Last edited:
I think part of the problem is the stigma associated with mental illness.

Most of them suffer in silence.

Part of those who suffer in silence are in denial or perhaps even they themselves do not realize that mental illness is considered a clinical illness (not just psychological)

These people need help!

Friends and families should play a more suppportive role. :s

couldn't agree more. in Singapore, the stigma towards mental affliction and psychological disorder is morbid and warped. I've heard parents pointing accusatory fingers to people with mental deficiencies/disorders and telling their kids that if they do not behave, that they would end up like that.

ultimately, studies have shown that while male suicide rates in adolescents are always higher than females (owing to methods chosen, etc), the sad thing about it all is that from another perspective, depression in men is normally UNDER reported.

oh well.

in my opinion as a student , i think parents and schools play a big part for the young suicide . there are school (like my school) /parents , ignore students thoughts and force students to do things which they don't wish to .

can you imagine my school teacher cut my sisters' hair (which is supposed to be girl's pride) and my sister said that she didn't want to live ? who doesn't afraid when hearing someone close to you saying this ?

guess what the teacher when knowing my mum was looking for her :
i don't care if your mum is coming because i will still cut your hair in front of her.

the P said this when the things getting out of hand:
i will not change the rule just because she broke the rule . even if she did something silly , rules will not be change (cutting girl's hair)

these are some of the issue which lead students who are lacked of care and concern to commit suicide .

Last edited:
While it is true that parents / teachers and especially friends play an important role, the thing is that it's Very Very hard to identify the depressives - unless you're one yourself then you can somehow guess if the other person is a depressive or not (can't really explain its just a takes one to know one kinda thing)

As the newspapers report, both cases they appear happy and cheerful, well-liked etc. Who would've expected them to commit suicide?

They might appear non-chanlant when with everyone else but on the lonely bus-rides home or while lying in bed at night, who can really comprehend what goes through their head?

When they do find out its... too late :confused:

it's all communication problem . actually , no one will know he or she will have depression unless someone close notice it .

unless notice early and see a doctor asap , this problem will continue ... just like mine , if i never see doctor due to migraine last year , which was my o level year , i will never discover i actually have signs of it . (:)

oh well , that's all the past xD

one word - STRESS... people feel stress and can't get things right and out of their mind, so the heart and brain start to got messup and follow by can't take it anymore, so wanted to end life, but i think don't feel so, cause many people care for you, if got problem say it out and discuss with your family or friends, they cared.....

No body cares!
if a person, the world will still go on. Tomorrow we still will go to work, and live our lives.
There is no one who would stop all these just because u die.
Get it!

Death is a way just to get out of this weird and cruel world.

No body cares!
if a person, the world will still go on. Tomorrow we still will go to work, and live our lives.
There is no one who would stop all these just because u die.
Get it!

Death is a way just to get out of this weird and cruel world.

Yes its a cynical world.

Naturally everything will still go on. Life, goes on regardless. Even if Bush is assassinated, life, goes on.

But to say that no one cares, no one at all, i dont think thats quite possible. Unless the person is an abandoned orphan who lived and died alone.

Yes its a cynical world.

Naturally everything will still go on. Life, goes on regardless. Even if Bush is assassinated, life, goes on.

But to say that no one cares, no one at all, i dont think thats quite possible. Unless the person is an abandoned orphan who lived and died alone.

people have their own lives. don't expect yours to have any impact on theirs.
the world is about "Survival of the fittest". Don't expect because you are not able to handle your own life, and people will help u handle it for u.

People who choose to take their own lives, should make the decision for themselves.

can you imagine my school teacher cut my sisters' hair (which is supposed to be girl's pride) and my sister said that she didn't want to live ? who doesn't afraid when hearing someone close to you saying this ?
:dunno::dunno:

任性

there are people out there with far worse plights, and they live, if i be blunt, your sister is spoilt

suicide is the ultimate act of cowardice; if paralysed men can live and go on to do great things when they did nothing to cause their paralysis, if cancer-ridden patients can go on fighting, if disabled war veterans hold their heads up high, if a woman at the age of 90+ can take care of people younger than her,

then threatening to suicide because someone cut your hair, or jumping off a building because your parents said no to changing your cca.. pardon me if i feel that their problems are small in comparison.

take a look at stephen hawking, take a look at the numerous people who have walked on with their pride, their dignity. these are the role models that people should follow, not emo goth singers and simple plan. stephen hawking described himself as "lucky" - there is so much to learn from the spirit of the man alone, let alone the research he has done despite his disease.

Last edited:

任性

there are people out there with far worse plights, and they live, if i be blunt, your sister is spoilt

Personally i think it is VERY tramatic. If it had happened to me, I won't be surprised if I just fall into pieces.

Poor kid. Hope it'll be an eye opener to parents, not to neglect them.

Last I heard about kid suicide was this kid found dead in front of the pc, with some pics he's not supposed to watch, with a bag on his head, and fly undone :dunno:

people have their own lives. don't expect yours to have any impact on theirs.
the world is about "Survival of the fittest". Don't expect because you are not able to handle your own life, and people will help u handle it for u.

People who choose to take their own lives, should make the decision for themselves.

Quite the realist. Of course its "every man for himself" but on the point of Zero impact, i still doubt that there'll be zero impact.

Surely the parents of the boy who committed suicide will feel grief. Even if they do move on and get over the fact over a period of time, their lives have changed. No?

Poor kid. Hope it'll be an eye opener to parents, not to neglect them.

Last I heard about kid suicide was this kid found dead in front of the pc, with some pics he's not supposed to watch, with a bag on his head, and fly undone :dunno:

Any idea on how he die?

Quite the realist. Of course its "every man for himself" but on the point of Zero impact, i still doubt that there'll be zero impact.

Surely the parents of the boy who committed suicide will feel grief. Even if they do move on and get over the fact over a period of time, their lives have changed. No?

It's easier to be a realist and move on with life.

feel grief? yeah sure! went on a holiday after that?
Gosh! so much for feeling grief.

Personally i think it is VERY tramatic. If it had happened to me, I won't be surprised if I just fall into pieces.

so what happens if you found out that you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis?

this man had it

070214_hawking_vmed3p.widec.jpg

losing your motor functions compared to losing your hair. ha.

任性

suicide is the ultimate act of cowardice; if paralysed men can live and go on to do great things when they did nothing to cause their paralysis, if cancer-ridden patients can go on fighting, if disabled war veterans hold their heads up high, if a woman at the age of 90+ can take care of people younger than her,

then threatening to suicide because someone cut your hair, or jumping off a building because your parents said no to changing your cca.. pardon me if i feel that their problems are small in comparison.

take a look at stephen hawking, take a look at the numerous people who have walked on with their pride, their dignity. these are the role models that people should follow, not emo goth singers and simple plan. stephen hawking described himself as "lucky". the irony.

maybe as an adult , it's a selfish , wilful and childish act for her . however , schools have ridiculous things that adults don't know , which cause such things . for instance , in the newspaper article , there are reports of teachers ask girls in girl school who wear coloured bra to take off the bra and walk around the school .

another one is teacher asked whole class to beat up one kid . the other one is teacher asking students to eat soap .

these examples are definitely worse than what ever my sister encounter . but think about it , what if the student didn't break the rule but the hair being for nothing ?

i know of such cases . it just that sometimes schools are not that "transparent" and that's why parents can't see what's happening .

Status
Not open for further replies.