You Win Some, You Lose Some

Status
Not open for further replies.

chngpe01

Staff member
Sometimes the longer reach of a s-tele lens will give you an advantage of a pretty nice close-up of the subject. However, at times it may work against you at the most critical moments, below are 2 examples (both uncropped):

You win this

30980264.jpg

You lose this shot :(

30980263.jpg

Cheers

chngpe01 said:
Sometimes the longer reach of a s-tele lens will give you an advantage of a pretty nice close-up of the subject. However, at times it may work against you at the most critical moments, below are 2 examples (both uncropped):

You win this

You lose this shot :(

30980263.jpg

Cheers

Understand perfectly. Always in this dilenma I am. Just a personal preference, I love to see avian in extended posture like #2.

hi chngpe! started to love ur shots already :)
obviously 2nd shot will be wonderful if you fill it in frame, but well who knows what that bird will do in such a short timing. *hmmm how about saving it with photoshop with the experts? :p
:thumbsup::thumbsup: for ur effort :)

hey chngpe01

The losing shot does not look that bad .... although can't have the full bird in frame.

For me, I would crop this shot abit more to document the avian and its catch. :) Just my opinion. :)

But both great shots nevertheless. :thumbsup:

Hi PE,

IMO, the cropped shot doesn't bother me that much. The amount of detail and colours captured more than makes up for it. Still a visually stunning shot. And oh yes, the 'moment' too. ;)

Great shots, thanks for sharing!

In order to lose something you first must have it, if you say it this way PE, then I've lost terribly as I don't even have a shot.

You'll get better as time goes by, (psst, I heard Nikon coming out with a 5-600mm f/2 VR zoom, might help you :bsmilie: )

Great shots! :)

espn said:
In order to lose something you first must have it, if you say it this way PE, then I've lost terribly as I don't even have a shot.

You'll get better as time goes by, (psst, I heard Nikon coming out with a 5-600mm f/2 VR zoom, might help you :bsmilie: )

Great shots! :)

5-600mm!! :bigeyes: :bigeyes: Wonder how big will that lens be? :eek:

I can understand the problem, PE ;)

Seems like the Canon user has the advantage over us with the 1.3x factor :angry: And now they even has the luxury of cropping the image with that thing call mk2 ;(

But hey!! we are still happy with what we own! Aren't we? ;)

BTW, nice shots there!

cheers

Vincent

Vinnievinyl said:
I can understand the problem, PE ;)

Seems like the Canon user has the advantage over us with the 1.3x factor :angry: And now they even has the luxury of cropping the image with that thing call mk2 ;(

But hey!! we are still happy with what we own! Aren't we? ;)

Vincent

Let's not digress, shall we? It's about the pixs we take, not the tools.

very nice first pic. as for 2nd pic, theres always the next breeding season :)

erwinx said:
very nice first pic. as for 2nd pic, theres always the next breeding season :)

When will that be? I really wanted to give it a shot before they go back but until now, still dunno where to find them :dunno: :cry: :cry:

Wondering where did u guys get so nice bird shots. Can I join u too?

Thank You all for the comments.

Wrt to Garion and wheels comments of the 2nd shots it is indeed another refreshing way to view it thanks for sharing your thoughts.

espn a 200-400mm VR can do already lah and already that I have no $$ not to say your 5-600m :eek:

Thanks Vincent yes I know what you mean. :)

Thanks Jeff, I know Vincent, actually he was just commenting in jest and he meant well :)

Yes erwin there will be a next year we will see them again.

Tom and ccplim these BE will probably leave in about 2-3 weeks time. These birds can be found in open grassland area with botak trees and near where there are alot of dragonflies. I have seen them at Kent Ridge park, even SBG and Marina South, just to name a few.

You may not believe it but it was a one year wait and planning that such shots are possible.

And yOngcheng, thanks and here's a try at PSing the wings, not a fantastic attempt but a quick 1/2 hr job.

Cheers

DSC_0082-stitch1.jpg

PE, congrats in getting what should be yours long ago! Well done! :thumbsup:

Personally, I feel that the second shot isn't "lost". The composure works for me, not that I think it should be fully filled with the clipped wing to be better, but in a very natural sense, it works for me. Of course, this is a matter of personal preference but that's my POV. Congrats again my friend :)

PS. The doc file is in your email, please check it out ;)

very nice dato' need to learn proper fill from you... ^^ :thumbsup:

Thanks BH, my friend, for your encouragement and comments :)

Terima Kesih Pak Tim, you have laid off from shooting birds for too long that's all, so not used to fill. Will invite you for more outing and mark out your calendar next year. Cheers :)

Thanks Chong, very informative. Will try my luck.

chngpe01 said:
And yOngcheng, thanks and here's a try at PSing the wings, not a fantastic attempt but a quick 1/2 hr job.

Cheers

DSC_0082-stitch1.jpg

Hey, PE!

Very good surgery leh! I can see the bird is still flying. :D

Some photographer may not agree to cloning the wing but this is what I call "Digital Photograpy". :thumbsup:

Cheers

Vincent

Status
Not open for further replies.