You don't like soft filters because....

You don't like soft filters (the real thing, PS filter or otherwise) because....

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
why use soft filters when u got a choice of either sharp or soft when u shoot sharp?

for film, can ask lab to soft for u mah
for digital, can use PS

soften effect got its impact , but it solely depand on your subject or when u want to delude your viewer.

Originally posted by ninelives
soften effect got its impact , but it solely depand on your subject or when u want to delude your viewer.

sorry, i dont get u

Originally posted by ninelives

It all boils down to customer's prefrences. Likely that they would want something that is soft. ;p

Everything's fine, used in moderation.

And I don't like soft filters cause I have a soft lens!

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Soft filter looks ok on females, but make males look too feminine in my opinion, hahah! Also I prefer sharp and clear images, warts and all.

Originally posted by Shadus
Cheaper? err...just breathe hard on your lens.

Breathe hard on UV filter on work in cooler country i think...

In S'pore, the moment you breathe on it... it's gone in 1-2 sec..

QUOTE]Originally posted by binbeto
How abt there are cheaper alternative?

Like using stocking and vasceline? :p
[/QUOTE]

Results can be unpredictable....can get away on digital but not on negative or transparencies unless you are ready to waste polariods.

I use the Hassie Softar 1 & Nikon SF 1, the effects cannot be duplicated by PS , close but far from the same.

Soft Filters like lenses has different end results when light passes thru it....and yes usually more flattering for female potraits among other situations. Warm filters like 81A also one of a kind when use correctly and for appropriate situations.

So cannot tick on anyone of your poll options.

Use it when the situation calls for it according to what you visualise to create your picture.

Koishe

Originally posted by Koishe
I use the Hassie Softar 1 & Nikon SF 1, the effects cannot be duplicated by PS , close but far from the same.

True. But that suggests that you can't get as good or even better results with Photoshop.

I like my Softars and my Soft 1s as much as the next person, and I own them both. I would say they are both easily emulatable by Photoshop. Not "the same" in the strictest sense of that word (in fact, I'd be surprised if one Soft 1 to the next yielded "the same" results in the strictest sense of the word...), but certainly emulatable.

As already mentioned, what Photoshop can do that both the Softar and Soft 1 cannot do is produce a perfectly sharp (in the sense of being un-soft) image. And it can also produce more blur, less blur, in between blur. Whatever that means, but you get my drift.

Like I said, I'm a great big fan of the Softars and the Softs. Not a fan of their price (nor Photoshop for that matter), but I like all three for what they're capable of achieving.

Status
Not open for further replies.